Tuning startup fueling

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
My car runs very rich on startup. (LTFT's -10+) Then slowly gets back to normal by the time the car reaches 180. Timing is also low on startup but gets back to normal in about a min. I know the car is supposed to run rich on startup but is there anything I can do to optimize this? I feel the car is just burning tons of gas warming up. :dunno:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
My car runs very rich on startup. (LTFT's -10+) Then slowly gets back to normal by the time the car reaches 180. Timing is also low on startup but gets back to normal in about a min. I know the car is supposed to run rich on startup but is there anything I can do to optimize this? I feel the car is just burning tons of gas warming up. :dunno:

there's alot to adjust but you have to do the diagnostics first to make sure ya change what needs to be.

do a few normal coldstart logs to 180* ect to get your open/closed loop baseline, then youll be unplugging your maf at cold start and logging what it does to fuelling at open/closed loop VE (so you can see whether it's a maf table related or more open loop table related), after a few logs then try lowering cold idle to your current 180* idle setting (this is generally a big part of cold start trim issues as your moving more air than normal) and taking a few more cold start logs.

after all of this it's also a good idea to check if O2 warmup is affecting things by heating up the o2 with a torch at the threaded base before a few cold starts and see how fast you go into closed loop (to see what the afr decay is doing via 02 values)

there's more but i have to work :pedobear:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
after all of this it's also a good idea to check if O2 warmup is affecting things by heating up the o2 with a torch at the threaded base before a few cold starts and see how fast you go into closed loop (to see what the afr decay is doing via 02 values)

This is panda's problem, he's got a lazy o2 that doesn't like to warm up. He is aware of this :squint:

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
there's alot to adjust but you have to do the diagnostics first to make sure ya change what needs to be.

do a few normal coldstart logs to 180* ect to get your open/closed loop baseline, then youll be unplugging your maf at cold start and logging what it does to fuelling at open/closed loop VE (so you can see whether it's a maf table related or more open loop table related), after a few logs then try lowering cold idle to your current 180* idle setting (this is generally a big part of cold start trim issues as your moving more air than normal) and taking a few more cold start logs.

there's more but i have to work :pedobear:

5 gallons of gas burned at idle later and you might have some good data.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
RVR said it was because of the O2 placement on my TOG's. Ive tryed a few different O2's they all seem todo the same thing.

Well, you just answered your own question/concern, just let it be huh? Unless that o2 warms up quickly it's going to do that and moving the o2 to a different location just for this seems a tad bit silly don't you think? :ford:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Well, you just answered your own question/concern, just let it be huh? Unless that o2 warms up quickly it's going to do that and moving the o2 to a different location just for this seems a tad bit silly don't you think? :ford:

If some tuning cant fix I will just have to let it be. Im just getting horrible gas mileage, and not just recently since the "change".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info