Engine is out

Supercharged

Jun 29, 2009
Volo
I got the engine out today and pulled the pan only to find metal shavings in the pan. :(

Pulled the rod caps and the bearings actually looked really good..still had the gray babbit on them (not bad for 175,000 miles). I didn't get the balancer off yet to pull the cam, but I think the cam bearings may be where the failure occured. The lifters looked good and didn't have any unusual wear on them.

More to come hopefully tomorrow night.

Supercharged

Jun 29, 2009
Volo
Ok, now, if I can find an L36 I need to get a bigger pulley so I don't kill the thing again right?

Second, if I get an XP cam, I just need to pull the front cover and swap the cam out and put my new timing set in. Will this give me a little leeway to keep my 3.4 pulley or should I still bump to a bigger pulley?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Second, if I get an XP cam, I just need to pull the front cover and swap the cam out and put my new timing set in. Will this give me a little leeway to keep my 3.4 pulley or should I still bump to a bigger pulley?

yeah, swapping cams while the engine is out is much easier. if you are going L36 you need to pull the heads off anyway, might as well stuff a nice bump stick in while it's all apart.
you wont see much boost with a 3.4 and XP cam. it would be a very safe pulley to run, even with higher compression. IIRC i saw 5-6PSI with a 3.4 on an XP cam:noes:

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
I still see 8 psi on an S1X with a 3.4. Definitely put a cam in anyway :)

anyway I know opel engineering in streamwood/schaumburg has a tank and are fairly reasonably priced. they have full machine shop capability as well.

they also can bake cylinder heads and make them look like new. make sure you remove everything from the heads first though... otherwise they tack on some hefty sums for removing parts... spark plugs = $20 removal fee!

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton

anyway I know opel engineering in streamwood/schaumburg has a tank and are fairly reasonably priced. they have full machine shop capability as well.

they also can bake cylinder heads and make them look like new. make sure you remove everything from the heads first though... otherwise they tack on some hefty sums for removing parts... spark plugs = $20 removal fee!

damn you still pull 8psi with that large of a pulley with a cam???

dang, never thought that

what timing can you run with the 3.4 then?

/threadjack

Supercharged

Jun 29, 2009
Volo

Do you know what they charge for a VJ and surface? I can reassemble myself if they charge more for that.

Supercharged

Jun 29, 2009
Volo
Good to hear. Get that new engine runnin' for the Oct track day. (Also, get a MPS pulley system instead of the old school press-ons. :wink: )

(BTW - If you need to use my pulley puller or snout machining tool just let me know.)

I'll see what I can do, funds will decide what happens. I have a quick change setup on the car with a 3.4...I traded my press on 3.25 to one of the old CGPC guys that had a 40th Anniversary..can't remember his name.

But I will need to pull that off anyway..while this is apart it would be a good time to change the front seal, I noticed its leaking.

Supercharged

Jun 29, 2009
Volo
Pulled the front cover and started pulling the cam..it was stuck at first them the first journal came out. THen I couldn't get it to slide into the next journal so I pulled out the flash light and found the cam bearing that would be closest to the bell housing came out and was blocking the cam from moving any farther.

I will pull rod/pistons from 5 & 6 tomorrow night and get some pictures before I pull it out.

Feedback please - If I go with a junkyard motor I risk something that may not have been taken care of....I still need to buy gaskets and reseal the motor if I do that don't I? Why not put fresh bearings in and keep this one? I'm hoping to do an S1X or XP so I have to pull the front cover anyway? Not looking to argue or flame, just want to understand the junkyard vs. fresh bearings...I take it it's not like an old small block chevy?

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
I'd say that most of the time junkyard motors have good bearings in them still... especially with lower miles like phatride said.

the motors are pretty stout... I don't see much of a problem with a junkyard motor. you can also tell a lot about a junkyard block by how the lower intake looks. lots of goo and pitting from coolant leaking could lead to bad things. know what i'm sayin?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info