96 Bonneville not starting

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
so im pretty sure its the starter but just want to know what you guys think.

First the car was running this morning, then i parked it and turned it off but left the radio on and sat in the car for about 30-40 mins. Now i know that will not drain a battery, so when i went to start the car again, it would crank but not start. tryed it again, same problem, tryed it one last time and now it wont crank and does nothing... so i thought maybe its an old battery and lost charge quicker.

i hooked up another car to it to try to jump it, kept it charging for about 20 mins. went to start it and nothing...

went and bought a new battery, replaced, tryed it again, nothing... (returned battery lol) but this time i was able to be infront of the car and listening to the engine, and i get a high pitched ring from the starter.
tryed to hit the starter and that did nothing either. bought a new starter but cant seem to get to the bolts to remove it in the parking lot.

so.. the question im asking is do you guys think its the starter or a bigger problem? and also is there any advice to replace the starter that would make it alot easier? there also seems to be a plastic piece that runs under the starter and covers both of its bolts. is there a special way to get that out?

thanks

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
sounds like a starter issue, make sure the purple wire isnt broken.

to change the starter,

disconnect the battery
jack car and put it on stands
remove the 3 10mm bolts holding the flywheel cover on
and remove the two 15mm bolts that hold the starter on.

tools needed: 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm

ive changed a LOT of 3x00 starters :bigthumb:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
replaced the starter, still not turning over.

tried jumping it again because it was sitting for a couple weeks, no change.

also theres gas leaking slowly from this hose. im not sure what it is though.

its on the right side of the engine in the front, driver side

3924177092_f2be63a5b3_b.jpg

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
ok um that pic is the line pressure regulator for the transmission.....

being a 96 that car will have the 4T60 transmission, which uses that modulator/regulator. which is kinda common to fail in the upper mileage and cause sloppy shifts/leak trans fluid. get an adjustable one from napa.

the fuel pressure regulator should be at the fuel rail....

have you cleaned the battery cables under the boots, my old bonne would behave wierdly because they were really corroded under the boots and would cause a no start every once in a while

also this car should have the vats system for security, is the light flashing when you try to start?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
battery is clean, and its gas that is leaking out the top of that hose. only when i try to start it. if i wipe it off it wont leak til i try to start the car. the hoses and the T connector are defiantly old and need to be replaced.

i dont think the light is flashing, and the trans is shifting a little harder then usual when it was running, but not bad and not slipping.

oh and the car is in normal/bloomington, not bensenville at the moment, until i get it running.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
you should NOT be working on cars..

why? because ive never worked on a bonneville and know nothing about them? sorry i didnt own a 3800 series for years and mod the fuck out of it.

cobalts i know alot, 3800s i know nothing but give me a part and basic instructions and i can replace it and fix it

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
you were asking how to install a FPR... :hsugh:

first a 10 second car... but now you cant do a simple repair?

It's perfectly normal not knowing how to replace a part that's not considered routine maintenence, if you don't have any advice just stop now...we all know about the 10 second race car, but you don't know what's gone on in our lives, so stop please. thanks.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
one clunk is not good. have you tried turning the motor over by hand? i assume there is good clean oil in it....
take the serpentine belt off, put a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt and see if the crank moves.

i dont have a breaker bar with me but ill see what i can do. and ya it has oil and its clean

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info