Trans Problem Help

G_T_O

TCG Elite Member
May 10, 2009
Hey i have a question concerning my trans. The shifts from 1-2 are very hard and i have never felt this before. As i noticed this I was curious is it was the trans or just vibration because the car was lowered. So i was going 20 miles an hour and i down shifted into 2nd because thats were the harsh shifting was from. And sure enough the car banged into second and you could feel the car vibrate. After some research i think it could be this but I am not sure because I am no expert at all on these transmission i could use your guys help. The pump is always whining a lot and the shifts seem to take longer like i am giving it more gas therefore making more pressure in the trans lines.

Intermittant Harsh Shifting / Pump whining, Possible Code P1811:
This is perhaps one of the most common problems with this transmission. It has been a problem since the release in 1997 and can happen for no reason at all even with clean fluid and very low mileage. The EPC solenoid is probably bad and again is very common to happen. The EPC solenoid controls line pressure and has a spool valve which oscillates back and forth to regulate transmission line pressure based on commanded pcm signals dependant on lots of various inputs of the vehicle. The spool valve in the solenoid will bind up and cause loss of pressure control from the pcm. The pcm constantly monitors shift timing in milliseconds and if this is not within programmed parameters after a few shift cycles the pcm triggers trouble code P1811 which is Max Adapt / Long Shift. This code will not set the SES light but will dissable all adaptive shifts and will max out line pressure in the transmission which causes the harsh shifts and can also cause the transmission pump to whine because it is supplying fluid at a high rate and pressure and puts more stress on it thus creating the whine. Generally shutting off the car will make this condition go away until you drive a few more miles or the vehicle warms up and the harsh shifting will return. Replacing the EPC solenoid will most likely correct this condition and again is probably the most common problem found in any year of this trans. I will also add that a worn out transmission can cause this. If the fluid looks bad, dark, and smells burnt or lots of fine dark sludgde or a dark film of material is in the bottom of the pan then there is probably internal damage. Once clutches become burnt and have excessive wear shift timing will be greatly extended and the pcm will fall outside of its set parameters and code P1811 will turn on, again commanding higher line pressure and harsh shifts but an overhaul in this instance is the only proper fix.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
yea it is full and its red just got a transmission flush like 2 to 3 weeks ago.

Thats it.

yuuuup. All the nice little particles floating around helped the clutch plates grip, and you just cleaned it all out. If it hasnt been done by 40k miles or so, dont do it ever.

I have been told this by many people. Actually Mook told me this too. If im not mistaken he actually did this and had trans problems.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
didnt read the thread, but for the love of god dont flush your trans if its got some miles on it or if you've been beating on the car a ton.

i made that mistake and flushed out the sludge that was holding my trans together. 2gs later and i had a built trans and a hole in my pocket.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Thats it.

I have been told this by many people. Actually Mook told me this too. If im not mistaken he actually did this and had trans problems.

didnt read the thread, but for the love of god dont flush your trans if its got some miles on it or if you've been beating on the car a ton.

i made that mistake and flushed out the sludge that was holding my trans together. 2gs later and i had a built trans and a hole in my pocket.

Yeap

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
so your telling me that not to get a transmission flush when the trans filter was clogged? How the hell would i have avoided that one? I dont understand how i would have should have not gotta a trans flush?

Instead of a flush, should have just dropped the pan, removed the filter, drained, replaced, refilled.

G_T_O

TCG Elite Member
May 10, 2009
How did you diagnose a trans filter being clogged?

it was screaming like no other my friend had this happen to him before. When it came out i broke it open and it was clogged with grit and the noise was no longer there. You guys have never had that problem before? Damn i have seen numerous people have that problem. You can tell when there is more pressure in the lines the whining gets louder and even at idle it whines. When my friend had this happen to him it caused him to no be able to shift sometimes, thats what happened to me, I gave it about 3/4 throttle and it redlined. After i replaced the filter it was fine until yesterday it started to shift hard.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
so your telling me that not to get a transmission flush when the trans filter was clogged? How the hell would i have avoided that one? I dont understand how i would have should have not gotta a trans flush?

higher mileage trans + modding + frisky driving + trans fluid flush = kaboom.

mine happened the day of...not more than 20 minutes later. think of the sludge as gorilla glue :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info