EGR Removal/Disable in relation to gas milage.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
-My EGR system is currently removed/disabled-

I took a few highway trips this summer and my MPG is just not as good as it used to be. I'm talking like 5mpg less calculated at fillup. I don't think I did anything to my setup that would decrease mpg, especially for highway cruising, the only thing I can think of is the EGR. I remember someone telling me removing the EGR causes a decrease in mpg, just wondering if that is true, and how much a degrease I should expect. Oil change, 2 weeks ago, plugs 2 weeks ago, tires/alignment a few months ago, fuel filter few months ago, ~45 deg cruise timing (ran ~50 with no real increase in mpg), near perfect cruise fueling, and ran some fuel injector cleaner a few weeks ago. Car should be in top shape. :dunno:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
larger cams get better gas mileage. i never noticed a decrease in mpg without EGR. i also tried different pulley and spark plugs and nothing made a difference. i just went back to the 3.2 and autolite 103's. i got 20-22mpg with my "city driving" and about 32 highway.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I guess I was under the impression that I had the LS6 cam in my car... since I had the LS6 block, heads, clutch, etc.

You would be correct that the LS1 cam was larger in the 98-00 years over the 01-02... unless they had the LS6 cam. It's a difference of like .030 lift for the two LS1 cams... the LS6 cam is some .060 bigger than the 01-02 cam.

Now I'm gonna have to go home and look up the PN on my stock cam!

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I guess I was under the impression that I had the LS6 cam in my car... since I had the LS6 block, heads, clutch, etc.

You would be correct that the LS1 cam was larger in the 98-00 years over the 01-02... unless they had the LS6 cam. It's a difference of like .030 lift for the two LS1 cams... the LS6 cam is some .060 bigger than the 01-02 cam.

Now I'm gonna have to go home and look up the PN on my stock cam!

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/1740880-post2.html

14. 1998-2000 cars had a larger cam than the 01-02 cars

3. 2002 cars continued with the LS6 intake, 28 lb fuel inectors and smaller truck cam

Back on topic, Does no EGR decrease MPG? :rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
:squint: FINE! Can't a guy just believe that his stock cam was bigger than everyone elses? Doesn't matter anymore anyhow... I assure you my current cam is leaps and bounds larger than the stock junk.

Quit your :rofl:ing @ my expense or you might find my stock cam stuck in the windshield of your car! :bowrofl:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
:squint: FINE! Can't a guy just believe that his stock cam was bigger than everyone elses? Doesn't matter anymore anyhow... I assure you my current cam is leaps and bounds larger than the stock junk.

Quit your :rofl:ing @ my expense or you might find my stock cam stuck in the windshield of your car! :bowrofl:

Im :rofl: on how this topic becomes off-topic. :ugh:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Ok, on topic. It makes sense that you would see a reduction in mileage seeing as the EGR is definitely used @ cruise. If you don't have spent exhaust to assist in filling the cylinders @ cruise, you only have one other source for air mass.

Do the 3800s have an air pump?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Ok, on topic. It makes sense that you would see a reduction in mileage seeing as the EGR is definitely used @ cruise. If you don't have spent exhaust to assist in filling the cylinders @ cruise, you only have one other source for air mass.

Do the 3800s have an air pump?

What do you mean?

I don't think 3800 have air pump.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I mean that's what the EGR does, right? Sends exhaust fumes back into the intake stream to assist in filling the cylinder's volume, therefore requiring even less fresh air/fuel mixture.

If there's no air pump, then I can definitely see losing some mileage to ditching the EGR setup.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
no AIR pumps. just EGR and your right on the EGR function. its at low speeds and cruising i believe?

i would say yes to it giving you worse gas mileage. with that said i didnt notice anything different on my own personal vehicle. i kept a watchful eye on it too seeing as how i drive about 30 miles each way to work. i would say maybe a 1-2 mpg difference. be lighter with your foot :dunno:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
My EGR is stuck open and i get horrible gas mileage right now, 250 miles and about empty with about 80 miles of it on the highway. I'm using it to my advantage right now and running E85 to clean up the intake manifold :rofl: A couple thousand miles of that and i'll delete it. Sounds like an exhaust leak and the SES light is blaring at me. :eek3:

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I don't run an EGR on a non-intercooled car and i get about 30mpg on the highway. It was leaking at the rear header before because it needed to be trimmed down to fit into the header and i just kind of mashed it in. I may decide to put it back on but i would need to get a new Hose to go from the EGR valve to the rear header.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
FISHmamoru.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info