tips/tricks for downpipe install?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
i remember the downpipe not being a big deal. O2 sensors can be a pain and watch out for that gasket; its sharp. it sliced right through my glove and my finger. i had to flip my front sway bar with my install but i had the gmpp kit.

headers are another story though.

L

logan@deansperformance

It looks pretty straight forward, but just wondering if I need to worry about breaking any bolts when taking out the old one. I want to get my new one in soon, but it's friggin hot outside, so it may wait a few days.

If any bolts seem seized dont force them, breaking a bolt off can be a PITA. Downpipes have always been straightforward on the cars ive worked with. remeber these as your friends:

pblasterb.jpg

225466_front200.jpg

more than likely you wont have an issue!:smile:

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
I feel for you. Couple years ago, I was doing this same shit to my car. Middle of fucking summer. 95* outside. I actually went and bought one of those tent/canopy things from Wal Mart to at least put my retarded ass in the shade. Was really the first mod I ever did myself, and damn... it sucked BALLS working in the heat like that.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
:rofl: i did my cam swap outside on July 3rd-4th. it was just like today out...it fucking sucked. i did it in my parents driveway. i through a tarp from the garage to the fence and it helped.....no money for a fancy tent. it was weird working in a blue hue...

frosty23_45

Broke Dodge owner
Feb 12, 2008
Coal City, IL
So let's say you accidentally round off the nut on the pass side of the manifold to DP stud, would you:

a) buy a nut splitter and cut the bastard off and replace it

b) hammer a smaller socket on there and see if you can get it to break loose.

Got in a hurry and didn't watch what I was doing. I got the driver's side to break loose no problem, soaked them a bunch w/my PB Blaster.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
if you're using 12 point sockets or wrenches, get a proper 6 point wrench/socket.

12pt will easily round shit like that off...

Definitely don't cut anything off unless as a last resort, the manifold bolts are actually studs, and you will have to remove the manifold if you damage the stud cutting stuff.

Do your best to thread the nut off with a socket or wrench, or as a last resort, vice grips or a pipe wrench or something...

frosty23_45

Broke Dodge owner
Feb 12, 2008
Coal City, IL
Yea, I'll have to borrow the torch from my father-in-law again, I bought a new bottle for it anyway. I'll have to try to get to it next week sometime, have to work all weekend. I was using a 6 point socket btw. I just was in a hurry didn't have a ton of time to spend on it today. But I already had the car up on the jack stands, and I want to get it done before I leave for my vacation.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
What size socket was it?

It's a metric nut, but a standard one will fit...but will be loose, and likely to round it off.

If I remember right, it's 15mm, but don't quote me on that. I think a 5/8" is slightly larger, and will seemingly work, but be much more apt to round the nut off.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
I was using a 13mm, I'm not retarded ya know, I can figure out what size socket to use.

3800s are a really retarded mix of both standard and metric fasteners though, and there are a LOT of nuts/bolts on there that could be removed with either a standard or metric tool, but it's risking the destruction of the fastener to do so.

I wasn't insinuating that you are retarded, just making sure you were using metric when metric was necessary, since there's plenty of both metric and standard shit on a 3800. Brilliant stuff GM :picard:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info