The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Found this from here:

I started the install of my AUXPOD and AB-GM9 into my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. I have the factory HU with the single CD and the multichannel equalizer.

Install: The removal of the dash/HU was simple (followed instructions/pictures from http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...andPrixSt2.htm). I then removed the cable plugged into the 9-pin port (connected to OnStar originally) and plugged in the AB-GM9 and AUXPOD. I then plugged the OnStar cable into the AB-GM9.

Results: Failure... the iPod was charging, but I could not get any signals to/from the iPod. I tried messing with some things, but nothing seemed to work. My only remote success came when I pressed my OnStar button... It started playing music from the iPod, but unfortunately it shut-off a few seconds later and didn't allow for any control.

Why: I got back online and checked on the PAC page for help... and on the top of the Pontiac page of the 'Vehicle Application Guide' found "1996-2001 radios with built in CD player are NOT compatible". I assumed that since my car was a 2002, I would be ok... however it seems that the radio from my 2002 is the same one as the pre-2001. I did a search on eBay and saw that most of the 2003 vehicles also used the same HUs.

The Fix: Thankfully for me my mother has a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix with the factory HU with a tape player. While I really liked my CD/equalizer I like my iPod more... so I made a deal to trade her HUs. I plugged in the AB-GM9 and AUXPOD, plugged in the OnStar, and away we go! Everything is golden, even OnStar still works as normal. The only issue that I'm having (which is VERY minor) is that when switching from AM/FM to the iPod (by pressing the 'Play/Tape' button on the HU or the 'Play' button on the steering wheel) the iPod turns on, but is paused. I have to power off the HU (until the iPod powers off) and then turn the HU back on. But other than that... everything is great.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Freebeer187
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list