Front hub bearings

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
on papa's 04 GP GT, is the assebly pressed in?? it's al loosy goosey as in it is sepaerated from the spindle, but i can't get the darn assembly free....if anyone is close to Lake Zurich and has a axle puller, wanna stop over :)
as long as the axle nut is removed and the three bearing/hub bolts are removed it usually takes a bit of persuasion to get the bearing outta the knuckle/spindle due to galvinic corrosion, same with the axle though it's usually just rusty on the splines....
if the bearing is loose in the knuckle/spindle pop it back in and use a heavy brass mallet to drive the outter axle tullip towards the trans.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
as long as the axle nut is removed and the three bearing/hub bolts are removed it usually takes a bit of persuasion to get the bearing outta the knuckle/spindle due to galvinic corrosion, same with the axle though it's usually just rusty on the splines....
if the bearing is loose in the knuckle/spindle pop it back in and use a heavy brass mallet to drive the outter axle tullip towards the trans.

I've used a 3 jaw puller on them when a big hammer doesn't work...it takes just a few minutes. Sometimes they are fused together unfortunately...but they will come apart eventualy.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yes all the nuts, bolts are out, and it is just the bearing assebly that won't come away from the axle going through it

where should i be smacking to not damage nothing?? the threads don't come out to the end, so im not too worried, should i get the 3 pound sledge or is that like :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
yeah just slap the bearing into the hub (no need to put the bolts in) and smak it a bit on the end of the axle...if your worried about mushrooming the end of the axleshaft beat on a large junk bolt set into the center divot on the axle end.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• gonzosbonne
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list