poly mounts creeking

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
its because the dogbones are rubbing on the poly instead of just clamping down on the metal insert. the zzp ones do it like mad. i bought intense ones which are 10X better actually.

you can just mark where the dogbones go across the poly and then sand them down or cut them with a razor blade. greasing them is just a band-aid. you have to cut 'em

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Poly bushings are suppose to be free-floating by design. The inside sleeve and the outside sleeve need to be able to move freely on a very thin layer of silicone grease. They are not suppose to be clamped down dry. They should have come with a small tube of grease. You cannot use spray lube because it is too thin and will work itself out.

I bought a tube of silicone grease that I used on all my poly bushings and in 8 years have never had a creak/groan from them. I have poly on all my control arms and cradle mounts. I still have over half a tube left, so if you want some to correct yours it's not a problem. To correct the problem you will need to take the bushings out and grease the inside and outside of the bushings then install them back in. Once properly greased, they will feel better and won't creak.

NOTE: DO NOT CUT OR TRIM THE BUSHINGS OR SLEEVES. This will allow too much play in the bushings and defeat their purpose.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Poly bushings are suppose to be free-floating by design. The inside sleeve and the outside sleeve need to be able to move freely on a very thin layer of silicone grease. They are not suppose to be clamped down dry. They should have come with a small tube of grease. You cannot use spray lube because it is too thin and will work itself out.

I bought a tube of silicone grease that I used on all my poly bushings and in 8 years have never had a creak/groan from them. I have poly on all my control arms and cradle mounts. I still have over half a tube left, so if you want some to correct yours it's not a problem. To correct the problem you will need to take the bushings out and grease the inside and outside of the bushings then install them back in. Once properly greased, they will feel better and won't creak.

NOTE: DO NOT CUT OR TRIM THE BUSHINGS OR SLEEVES. This will allow too much play in the bushings and defeat their purpose.

Very good to know.

I havent had issues with my newer single piece intense mounts. I also had solid aluminum mounts and those didnt make any noise themselves. The noise generated from them is a different story. :hsugh:

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

i'm talking about a very small amount between the arms of the dogbone and the closest part of the mount towards the engine. it will still be just as tight. do you currently own a w-body?

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
i'm talking about a very small amount between the arms of the dogbone and the closest part of the mount towards the engine. it will still be just as tight. do you currently own a w-body?

No, I currently have a P-body.
But I have installed poly bushings on many different cars including a few W-bodies. I have used Prothane, Enegry Suspensions, and Performance Suspensions bushings. I have never had to trim any bushings.

Greasing them with silicone grease isn't a "band-aid", It is the proper way to install them.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
these are the mounts in question. i circled where the dogbone rubs against the poly....thats not how its supposed to be but it is with the zzp 2-piece mounts. were not talking about control arm bushings here. you seem like a smart man so i tihink you could figure out how the dogbone mounts to the bushing. i'm all for greasing up the outer portion of the mount but the squeeking isnt coming from that area....its the arms of the dogbone rubbing up against the outer part of the poly bushing and binding.

130_1.jpg

890_1.jpg

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
these are the mounts in question. i circled where the dogbone rubs against the poly....thats not how its supposed to be but it is with the zzp 2-piece mounts. were not talking about control arm bushings here. you seem like a smart man so i tihink you could figure out how the dogbone mounts to the bushing. i'm all for greasing up the outer portion of the mount but the squeeking isnt coming from that area....its the arms of the dogbone rubbing up against the outer part of the poly bushing and binding.

If they are rubbing where you indicated, Then the other motor/trans mounts have shifted. When we installed the ZZP bushings on a friends Monte SS we had to loosen the other mounting bolts to put the engine back to plumb with the dog bone. Hard launches cause the stock mounts to shift a little over time. We're not talking very much movement, probably less than 1/16 of an inch. But it is enough to cant the driveline enough so that the stiffer dog bone mounts will rub incorrectly. If you slightly loosen the other mounts and shift the engine/trans slightly you'll see that little bit of movement will make the dog bone line up better and not cause the rubbing you are describing.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
i dont think so. i think its because they are a 2 piece design and the dogbones arent exactly perfect in any way. my intense mounts were 10x better.

All I can tell you is that we never had the problem once we re-adjusted the trans and engine mounts. This was done over a year ago.

Actually last fall we changed out the stock hydraulic mounts and installed the Auto Zone solid mounts and they work very well with the poly dog bone bushings. Launches are smoother and better.

Autozone solid engine mount - Part #A2796 - $37.99
Autozone solid transmission mount - Part #A2712 - $29.99

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Which car are those part numbers for?? THey can work with all Wbodies, but I know for sure Regals have different lower mounts then GPs and vice versa. Dont know about the MCs or Impalas.

I just looked it up.
The engine solid mounts are for all (Regal, GP, MC, and Impala)
The Trans solid mount is only for GP, MC, and Impala.
There is no solid trans mount option for the Regal at Auto Zone and yes the trans mount is a different design than the others.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info