wilwood f-body brakes

GLIKENNY

Hooligan
Oct 7, 2008
Darien, Illinois
Real Name
Kenny
im looking to change my brakes, and i know the f-body caliper swap is popular. my question is will a kit for a 2002 firebird fit on an 04 GTP?

here is a link to the kit i was looking at.

http://info.wilwood.com/BrakeKitsProd.aspx?itemno=140-7763-D

what would i need to change to make it fit. i know nothing when it comes to brake systems, so pardon the noobie question! are the bolt patterns the same for the firebird as the GP? would my stock rims even clear the wilwood calipers? any help would be great. TIA

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
wat? no one said talk to heavykevy???

trust me, ive been working on this and researching for 9+ months on this... its not worth it for a few reasons...

the caliper wont fit under your rims because of offset and hub
the caliper wont fit under your rims because of the inside diameter
the kit costs 1700 dollars new LOL
the bolt pattern is not correct
etc etc

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The F Body aftermarket brake kits generally don't work on the W Bodies because most of them don't use calipers with the same bolt spacing as the stock F Body. The caliper is attached to a mounting plate that's easily removed and replaced to adapt for another style caliper. You can't do that on a W Body because the mounting ears are cast into the knuckle.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
clearly you've never driven a stock w-body with stock brakes in an sorts of spirited driving, let alone "racing"

death. trap.

no but i've seen cars just as big autocrossing and never heard of anyone having brake fade. and anybody driving that hard on the street would have to be a total reckless asssss if you could even find an area to do it

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
cause i dont like the way those calipers look. i wanted a caliper like the one in the link i posted. but guess its not possible.

if you dont like the way that looks then just get those ricer clip on calipers that are fake but look like you have huge calipers LOL

our master cylinder is POS, and you cant just start adding on brakes and expect it to stop better

if anything a c5/f-body caliper system upgrade is going to be just as good as any aftermarktet setup because using piston size, the wilwood is still going to be dual piston or 3/6 but the pistons will be smaller...

you arent going to adding on c6z06 brakes or huge baer/wilwood calipers, there are too many problems with the real world physics of the cars brake system and there is a reason why our cars come with floating calipers, cause of the way our hub/rotor/rims are

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
no but i've seen cars just as big autocrossing and never heard of anyone having brake fade. and anybody driving that hard on the street would have to be a total reckless asssss if you could even find an area to do it

they may be just as big, but their brake systems are 100x better than a stock w-body... the MCs and impalas have a 1" upgrade option that many people switch too because its cheap, but really.. i dont think ive ridden in ANY car with worse brakes than a GM w-body, its crazy

you know, i know you autoX and such, but for almost a 2 ton car with gas and driver stock, 11" rotors front with a small pad and rears that are just provide like 20% braking overall, its terrible

GLIKENNY

Hooligan
Oct 7, 2008
Darien, Illinois
Real Name
Kenny
if you dont like the way that looks then just get those ricer clip on calipers that are fake but look like you have huge calipers LOL

our master cylinder is POS, and you cant just start adding on brakes and expect it to stop better

if anything a c5/f-body caliper system upgrade is going to be just as good as any aftermarktet setup because using piston size, the wilwood is still going to be dual piston or 3/6 but the pistons will be smaller...

you arent going to adding on c6z06 brakes or huge baer/wilwood calipers, there are too many problems with the real world physics of the cars brake system and there is a reason why our cars come with floating calipers, cause of the way our hub/rotor/rims are

uh im good with the clip on calipers. lol. i just like the way the other calipers looked. but ill probably go with the baer brake kit. i know the wilwood kit was a long shot, so oh well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info