Smaller pulley with less timing or larger pulley with more timing?

Allmachtige

STOP! Just stop...
Mar 12, 2008
Aurora, IL
I dunno why, but I can only get 17* of timing before KR gets out of control on a 3.2-3.3 pulley with cam and headers.

Whatever Bonnevilles are stupid.

I've been playing with timing for a good month and it doesn't seem to matter if I use a 3.2 or a 3.3, I still can't go above 17* or KR spikes above 3 too often.

Anyway is this ideal or would a smaller pulley with less timing yield faster track times?

I believe untuned Bonnevilles actually only get 9-12* of timing.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
How much boost are you seeing with those pulleys? 11, 12, 13 psi? What AFR are you running?

FWIW - My SSEi with the VS, N*, P&P heads, Stage II IC, TOGs, 3" exhaust, etc. I'm running a 3.0 pulley (maxing out around 12lbs of boost and 18* of timing on 93). I'm in the upper thresholds fo boost and timing at the moment to run KR free on pump gas.

I need to continue to dial in my PE vs. RPM vs. Time

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Still debatable if it makes you faster IMO. Maybe on car A, but what about car B that likes more boost?
x2, and what some people are not taking into consideration is how heavy the bonneville is and how much the extra little torque gained from a smaller pulley will help when launching. Its a bit of a trade off and needs to be taken to the track to be proven which works better. HP wise the added timing might make a bit more but where the power curve is means a lot at the track.
I dont see many GTPs with meth injection. How well does the 3800 respond to meth? I'd imagine with meth you could run tons of timing.
It works with 3800s if the rest of the setup is done right, but that is a big can of worms that will knock this thread out of the park.

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
It works with 3800s if the rest of the setup is done right, but that is a big can of worms that will knock this thread out of the park.

Whats the obstacle, spraying the meth through the supercharger? Tuning? Something completely different I dont even know about?

Turbo cars love meth, would seem to me it wouldn't be much different for a S/C'd car.

Cliffs?

Allmachtige

STOP! Just stop...
Mar 12, 2008
Aurora, IL
Well I tried a 3.4 today with 17* of timing and KR is nearly all gone, so acceleration feels solid.

I'll need to test this at the track, but what pulley size and timing decrease should I start trying out to see if the extra torque pays off?

I was guessing a 3.2 with 14-15* of timing. I could maybe run a 3.0 on stock SSEi timing, but the heat built up by that small of a pulley might hurt me.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
I dont see many GTPs with meth injection. How well does the 3800 respond to meth? I'd imagine with meth you could run tons of timing.

So I had the Alkey injection kit. It worked well for what I had but at higher RPMs gotthe KR would started and would stay there till I let off. I was only running the 3.2 pulley aswell. Now I have the full size IC and the KR is gone and I have the 3.0 so im happy. Plus I heard with the alkey it is not good for the inside of the charger and the longer its in the worse it gets..

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
This is the real cruncher.

How much power you make is directly proprtional on how much pressure you can squeeze in a CC. Timing or boost can both achieve this. Boost is like a coarse control of it, timing is more of a fine control of it. So you really want to cram as much boost in as you can, then optimize timing. The wild card on a supercharged car is parasitic loss from the blower. This is where the debate comes in. It's best to look at how you will drive the car, or what you want out of it. For a fun DD, pulley down to the smallest pulley you can run. It will give the car a ton of grunt, and you can run the car from stoplight races up to 50-60 mph with no detrement to parasitic loss. If you want a quarter mile machine you need to keep the motor happy for 3 gears, so a bigger pulley and more timing is usually better. For an all around machine on an M90, it's best to intercool, run higher compression instead of either a lot of timing or boost.

Allmachtige

STOP! Just stop...
Mar 12, 2008
Aurora, IL
This is the real cruncher.

How much power you make is directly proprtional on how much pressure you can squeeze in a CC. Timing or boost can both achieve this. Boost is like a coarse control of it, timing is more of a fine control of it. So you really want to cram as much boost in as you can, then optimize timing. The wild card on a supercharged car is parasitic loss from the blower. This is where the debate comes in. It's best to look at how you will drive the car, or what you want out of it. For a fun DD, pulley down to the smallest pulley you can run. It will give the car a ton of grunt, and you can run the car from stoplight races up to 50-60 mph with no detrement to parasitic loss. If you want a quarter mile machine you need to keep the motor happy for 3 gears, so a bigger pulley and more timing is usually better. For an all around machine on an M90, it's best to intercool, run higher compression instead of either a lot of timing or boost.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm more of a 1/4 mile guy so more timing on a larger pulley is probably where I want to be, but how does this yield a faster time?

I'm assuming if you go with a smaller pulley with less timing that first gear will be stronger, but the 1/4 mile setup will win in the top end. Wouldn't each setup just negate each other?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info