GenV swap working with zzp S2 IC?

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Basically I want to do a GenV swap into my car sometime this summer and get rid of my fogger system... and will be upgrading to a large FMHE, most like an FB, and that will be around the same time as going to the V.

Currently have the zzp S2 full size IC, can that work with a GenV? Or I was thinking of keeping the core piece, sell of the s2 outter shell core, and then buying the GenV core and put my original core piece back in?

Not sure, but I've heard of people using the gen3 IC system with a genV, but why not go all the way like I just mentioned, wont cost as much as buying an entirely new system.

New genV system is over 1k. Swapping out the cores is 600 new, or less used for the GenV, minus whatever I sell the gen3 core for!

Considering I may run down to a sub 3.0 pulley, i think its worthwhile to go to a genV at my mod level. sticking with rockers and not a cam.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
The Gen V outlet ends about an inch closer to the belts than the Gen 3, so if you kept the gen 3 s2 IC, you are making a tough path for the flow....... I'd say that it is probably easier to sell the S2 IC and go buy a new Gen V IC then to start swapping cores and plates...........

You might be able to separate the plates and modify them to fit the Gen V, If the core goes far enough, you could just cut back the plate

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Basically I want to do a GenV swap into my car sometime this summer and get rid of my fogger system... and will be upgrading to a large FMHE, most like an FB, and that will be around the same time as going to the V.

Currently have the zzp S2 full size IC, can that work with a GenV? Or I was thinking of keeping the core piece, sell of the s2 outter shell core, and then buying the GenV core and put my original core piece back in?

Not sure, but I've heard of people using the gen3 IC system with a genV, but why not go all the way like I just mentioned, wont cost as much as buying an entirely new system.

New genV system is over 1k. Swapping out the cores is 600 new, or less used for the GenV, minus whatever I sell the gen3 core for!

Considering I may run down to a sub 3.0 pulley, i think its worthwhile to go to a genV at my mod level. sticking with rockers and not a cam.

If you are sticking with rockers, skip the gen v. If you don't already have one...get an anti-slip system instead. The smallest pulley you can get away with is a 2.8 to 3.0 pulley anyway. At that level the gen 3 is still on the edge of it's efficency range.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
here is the thing, if I can sell the ported s/c anyways... if i gain like 10whp and allows me to pulley up.

think of it this way, its kinda like buying headers over a downpipe... might as well go big and get the best if im gonna mod the car that way anyways.
true that!
go big or go lay the fvck down and go to sleep>>:wavey:

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
here is the thing, if I can sell the ported s/c anyways... if i gain like 10whp and allows me to pulley up.

think of it this way, its kinda like buying headers over a downpipe... might as well go big and get the best if im gonna mod the car that way anyways.

even if you sell your blower for 300, get 400 for the core, you still need to spend 500 on a blower, 100 on a tb adapater (ASSuming you already have a 75mm tb), and 500 for a gen v ic core.....

that extra 400 bucks would be better spent on a set of 3.29 gears if you dont already have them.....car will be quicker, and the 7/8 chain is a nice supporting mod.

like ron said, if you are sticking with 1.9's, since you already have the ic, and ported blower, it's not THAT benefical to swap to the gen v

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
build all the hp you want, but that's not really the right approach to be fast.

What I mean by that is the whole car is a system. Not only do you have the opportunity to make the car fast by raw HP. You have weight, traction, gearing, Tq converter...yada yada. The best builds match things well.

It wouldn't be much of a band if the guitar was turned up so high you couldn't hear the other instruments would it?

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
car already has 3.69s

im not going to gut the car, i think soon mike will give it a fresh tune

before going cam, i'd rather go turbo, and its looking like a better and better move right now.

if im already maxxed out for mods unless i go cam/turbo, this is the next thing to do, and i like the fact that it should give gains even after going up a pulley size...

dammit, why dont i just go turbo

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
car already has 3.69s

im not going to gut the car, i think soon mike will give it a fresh tune

before going cam, i'd rather go turbo, and its looking like a better and better move right now.

if im already maxxed out for mods unless i go cam/turbo, this is the next thing to do, and i like the fact that it should give gains even after going up a pulley size...

dammit, why dont i just go turbo

You are going to peak power just under 6K as it sits, if you went cam then it would be a good idea to go Gen V to give you a little more headroom. The other alternative is to retard the cam 2 degrees with the rockers and add a gen V....with your gearing the car would scoot. It would raise the rpm range about 500 rpm; I would make sure you had 105's on the motor.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
build all the hp you want, but that's not really the right approach to be fast.

What I mean by that is the whole car is a system. Not only do you have the opportunity to make the car fast by raw HP. You have weight, traction, gearing, Tq converter...yada yada. The best builds match things well.

It wouldn't be much of a band if the guitar was turned up so high you couldn't hear the other instruments would it?

I couldnt agree more Ron. So many people just add more and more power but never bother with anything else beyond maybe a tire. Things need to be thought out if you want good results. How many people have cars that "should" run x time on paper?

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
You are going to peak power just under 6K as it sits, if you went cam then it would be a good idea to go Gen V to give you a little more headroom. The other alternative is to retard the cam 2 degrees with the rockers and add a gen V....with your gearing the car would scoot. It would raise the rpm range about 500 rpm; I would make sure you had 105's on the motor.

there we go!

car has 105#s... the tune for when ryan got it to 13.5 @ 105 or whatever was the one from the previous owner, and it was shifting at 6k... now its higher timing but the engine only whinds to 5800ish

either way, i was just wondering and planning, gotta get a tune, or go back to the old one and adjust from there

car loves to rev high with the trans... LSD in it too fwiw

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info