Will the trans and motor hold up to the power?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I am getting a couple of mods done in a couple of weeks and wanted to see if my current trans and my motor would hold up to the increased power.

I have a L67 with a little over 100,000 miles probably. The current mods are below and I will be adding stage 3 heads that will have all upgraded parts required and will hold 1.8RR with my current cam, a new(hopefully better than on the market) intercooler for my gen V, smallest pulley I can run(2.8ish?), 60#injectors, E85 switch, and double roller timing chain.

My questions are, anyone have a contructive random guess on the power it would put out? Second, will the current 7/8 chain on the 3.69gears hold up to the power? Will the current INTENSE input shaft hold up to the power? Finally, can anyone think of any other weak points such as being too much power for the existing block, etc. Thanks for the help, Andy C.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, you'll be fine. The 7/8ths chain breakages have really been few and far between but have been sensationalized by those in the community that swear by one chain or another. The other people swear by the 15/16ths chain WE sell and then there's the people that have been convinced that both are junk and that the GMR chain is the only real option. To that I say BULLSHIT. The 4T60 chains have been fine for years and are up to the task in just about any street build so long as you're not foolish with your shift points and line pressure.

It's generally the shock load that breaks these parts, not just outright torque. That's why most people break them in a shift.

No worries on the engine. Make sure you're not getting any knock and it will last forever. The only failure you might experience would be as a result of pure coincidence. These engines are built solid.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Thanks for the input guys, I am hoping this set-up will throw me into the 11's somewhere...but we will see on that one. I am getting it tuned right after the parts are installed and I also scan all of the time, so it sounds like as long I am safe then I shouldn't run into anything that unexpected. I really just want to hit 11's, even though the price of this hurts....it won't overcome the good feeling of that fast time.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
mike, you dont think the chains stretch over time, and then break?
No, I do. I just think that they stretch because of the shock load and then break because of the shock load. Everyone's first inclination with tuning is to jack line pressure and raise shift points without giving any thought to the trade offs of doing so, not to mention considering where there's going to land in the powerband after the car shifts.

With proper precaution I think you can take a 7/8ths or 15/16ths setup to some serious power levels. If Ron can run 12.10s on a 140,000 mile car with stock dual chains... Well, anything is possible.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• SleeperLS
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list