ZZP Plug Wires - Whats the deal?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I bought some ZZP plug wires yesterday and installed them on my car today.

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=849&catid=109

Is it just me or do these wires come off the plugs REALLY easy? I mean almost effortlessly. The stock OEM wires are 10X harder to pull off the plugs. After the install I went for a drive and sure enough when I went WOT the car misfired hard-core. I checked the wires making sure they were all tight. I just rubbed one of the wires and it fell off. Pretty reduculous if you ask me that these cant stay tight on the plugs. So I ask, whats the deal? Does anyone else have experience with these wires? Im about to drop a ban and go back to stock if these wires cant stay on with a VERY light tug of the boot.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I know this may sound stupid, but did you push them on until they click, it may take some force to get them on the first time, I know my msd's took quite a push to snap in place, you should hear it, or at lease feel it through the boot

Yes tried very hard, on the car and off. They click very softly and u can give very light pressure to make sure they are "on" .

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
If the boots are not glued to the wires try pushing the wire down a little further in the boot. They may have been pulled to hard at one point or not pushed in place when built, and not able to clamp(click) on to the end inside.
Simple fix, it happens to MSD and a few other types somtimes.
PRJs are the only ones ive seen that glue the boot to the wire so this doesnt happen(and makes it harder to fix if it does).

What was wrong with the stock ones?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
If the boots are not glued to the wires try pushing the wire down a little further in the boot. They may have been pulled to hard at one point or not pushed in place when built, and not able to clamp(click) on to the end inside.
Simple fix, it happens to MSD and a few other types somtimes.
PRJs are the only ones ive seen that glue the boot to the wire so this doesnt happen(and makes it harder to fix if it does).

What was wrong with the stock ones?

The boots are glued, they dont budge.

Ive been replacing the wires every year. Since I change plugs alot I think I would benefit from aftermarket wires that are more durable. I figured I would try out "The best wires available for the 3800!" since they claim 5.9WHP over stock wires. :bowrofl:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
My vote is for the factory ones. You could go through approx 4 sets of OEM before these pay for themselves.

Sorry, wrong thread. Weren't we just discussing this? Aren't the OEM lower resistance?

What you may not realize is the ICM's dependence on a specified resistance. The 3800 uses a waste-spark ignition...one cyl fires, the opposite "wastes" the spark to ground. Just like I tell everybody...if you have a car that is well enough modded to need more than regular plug changes an aftermarket set is a good idea. From a power standpoint, oem's are fine. No aftermarket wire will give you more power. However, 1-2 plug changes can kill a set of stock wires...they just aren't all that durable for a car that gets wrenched on frequently.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
What you may not realize is the ICM's dependence on a specified resistance. The 3800 uses a waste-spark ignition...one cyl fires, the opposite "wastes" the spark to ground. Just like I tell everybody...if you have a car that is well enough modded to need more than regular plug changes an aftermarket set is a good idea. From a power standpoint, oem's are fine. No aftermarket wire will give you more power. However, 1-2 plug changes can kill a set of stock wires...they just aren't all that durable for a car that gets wrenched on frequently.

Exactly why I got the MSD's, my wires have been pulled 10-15 times already, with no issues

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
i hate wasted spark....hey ron werent ya working on a cpp setup? i know i've looked into an ls1 coil setup with pairs triggered by the OE icm...

It probably wouldnt be that hard to use CNP, and just use the ICM to fire them..... but you'd need to isolate the cylinders, otherwise you'd still be firing both plugs....... It would look to messy with all those wires for a schlim engine bay anyways

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
It probably wouldnt be that hard to use CNP, and just use the ICM to fire them..... but you'd need to isolate the cylinders, otherwise you'd still be firing both plugs....... It would look to messy with all those wires for a schlim engine bay anyways
i would still want the second plug to fire the question is how well the output transisters can handle the current draw/rise of the two seperate coils....

if i had a way to change the dwell time i'd deffinatly want a sequential cnp system...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info