Is This a Normal Misfire History Pattern?

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
So on my SSEi with the VS cam, I've always set the P0300 code regularly after a week or so of setting the code (past 3 years, plugs did not matter). Anyway, I've never logged the misfire history until this past month.

I'm curious, is this a normal misfire history? (I never see, or at aleast recorded, any misfires under throttle. These all seem to have happened where Throttle % = 0)

This is the cumulative totals for the past 30 days or so. I've had two instances where #4 misfires immediately at start-up. Immediate counts got up to ~200 until I put it into gear.

1 5292 2 584
3 10748 4 25941
5 5543 6 122

I'm going to be swapping out plugs this weekend (its time).

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
So on my SSEi with the VS cam, I've always set the P0300 code regularly after a week or so of setting the code (past 3 years, plugs did not matter). Anyway, I've never logged the misfire history until this past month.

I'm curious, is this a normal misfire history? (I never see, or at aleast recorded, any misfires under throttle. These all seem to have happened where Throttle % = 0)

This is the cumulative totals for the past 30 days or so. I've had two instances where #4 misfires immediately at start-up. Immediate counts got up to ~200 until I put it into gear.

1 5292 2 584
3 10748 4 25941
5 5543 6 122

I'm going to be swapping out plugs this weekend (its time).
yes thats normal missfire counts are usually counting up on the adjacent firing order cylinders, the highest count is the cylinder that is missfiring.
the pcm looks at the 18x reference pulses for the misfire data and it has nowhere near the resolution of the newer 36x (or 36-1) reluctors so the counts will rise for the cylinders firing closest to the major counts.

when you pull out the #4 plug check for carbon or soot that will lead to a carbon tracking (side jumping) spark, if it's worse than the rest you may want to do a hot and cold engine leakdown test to check ringseal.

dont forget to play frankenstein and run yer hand along the wire while it's running cold and see if you feel any voltage leakage :noes:
it's better than coffee :roflpicard:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
yes thats normal missfire counts are usually counting up on the adjacent firing order cylinders, the highest count is the cylinder that is missfiring.
the pcm looks at the 18x reference pulses for the misfire data and it has nowhere near the resolution of the newer 36x (or 36-1) reluctors so the counts will rise for the cylinders firing closest to the major counts.

when you pull out the #4 plug check for carbon or soot that will lead to a carbon tracking (side jumping) spark, if it's worse than the rest you may want to do a hot and cold engine leakdown test to check ringseal.

dont forget to play frankenstein and run yer hand along the wire while it's running cold and see if you feel any voltage leakage :noes:
it's better than coffee :roflpicard:

I prefer to mist water on them in a dark garage...less painful and it's a cool light show. I never did get why #4 always misfires more than others. It happens on almost every L67 I've scanned.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I prefer to mist water on them in a dark garage...less painful and it's a cool light show. I never did get why #4 always misfires more than others. It happens on almost every L67 I've scanned.
guess which cylinder gets more oil thrown onto the cylinder walls than any other....GM needed to go with an oil ring bigger than 3mm or at least do like i did and drill more holes through the skirt for better scraping

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
guess which cylinder gets more oil thrown onto the cylinder walls than any other....GM needed to go with an oil ring bigger than 3mm or at least do like i did and drill more holes through the skirt for better scraping

I remembered when you explained this..... Now we know how to test if you install a small baffle there if it helps any

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
i know it'll help...#4 pistons always come out with clean oil in the #1 and #2 compression ring grooves...oils def getting past the oil ring...

I know, but if it shows a significant drop, you can tell say look at this, and not have to tear open the block to find oil on the compression rings...... I don't mean to prove to you, but to prove to any naysayers

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I know, but if it shows a significant drop, you can tell say look at this, and not have to tear open the block to find oil on the compression rings...... I don't mean to prove to you, but to prove to any naysayers

who cares about naysayers? most live in their own "you cant make any improvements... the oems do it perfect" world lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info