Buff/remove scratches in plastic (GP Tailight)

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I picked up a passenger tail light today from a junk yard. It is in good shape but does have a few minor scratches. Does anyone recommend a kit, product, or method to remove minor scratches from plastic? There are kits at the auto store for $25 but I just wanted to see what ppl recommended.

BTW I picked up the tail light for $40. Other than the minor scratches it has very little bubles and looks better than my orig driver side one.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
It's not local (online only), but Plexus Plastic Cleaner works great. It's not cheap either, but I do know that NASA uses it as well. Spray on, wipe well and buff to a shine.

Otherwise, wet sand with 1500 grit and follow-up with an abrasive polish and a machine polisher (i.e. PC 7424). Then follow-up with a mild polish and a machine polisher.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
^
use that on my paintball mask for years, and clean off bugs and shine my motorcycle helmet visor, bodywork, etc etc- good stuff and is optically clear. But it's more like Pledge for wood or Windex for glass, it won't do anything for scratches- I know you know this, just making it clear for others. :)

E,
I just sqeeze a tiny bit onto a small napkin folded up and swirl it into the surface, back and forth for a minute or two, then use a clean part of the napkin and wipe the haze away until it's clean, sometimes spit helps with it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info