The GTP is running right...

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
So, I bought my 97 with a blown motor and put an 02 motor in it. The mechanic put the motor in and got it running. There was a gap between the stock manifold and the exhuast so the mechanic really couldnt test the driveability and how well it ran. I went to an exhaust shop a month later and they fixed the gap with piping BUT the car doesnt drive very well. When I get on it, it really doesnt go anywhere. It punches a little bit but nothing like a supercharged car should perform like. After some investigating under the hood, there are some connectors that didnt get connected, Im guessing this is the problem? I connected what I could and believed was correct. Today, I got another box of parts consisting of the MAP sensor and other bolts and stuff. Im pretty sure I connected the MAP sensor correctly and its still the same. Arent the connectors different for the engine from 97 to 02?

Where do I start?

What do you guys think?

Tow.jpg

The video isnt the best in the world but you sort of get an idea of what im talking about. I was coasting in 1st gear and I floored it and you see how slow it accelerates.

Last edited:

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
I don't understand your situation with the exhaust. Could you explain a little better or get pics? Secondly, I would plug in all the electrical connectors and install your MAP sensor. Then I would plug in all the vacuum lines. You already have a vacuum leak because of the disconnected MAP. Check all that and then get back to us.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Sorry... the previous owner had headers on the car and took them off with downpipe. When we finally got the motor in and running, there was a gap from the stock manifold to the 3inch exhaust.
You would say a vacuum leak? I plugged in the MAP sensor and it was still the same.

Last edited:

bluegpgtp

Regular
Jan 22, 2008
Bourbonnais, IL
Real Name
Doug
wow that thing is SLOW. i would try to get my hands on a scanner if i were you. need more details. how is it driving when cruising? is it idling OK? Do you have any history on the motor you put in it? Did you do a compression test before installing the new motor? and if the mechanic forgot to plug a bunch of stuff back in i would probably find a new mechanic. GOOD LUCK!

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
well...It doesnt drive too bad when just cruising BUT It idles at about 1,000 rpms. From what I understand on the motor, it has 35k on the motor and there was a recall on the fuel rails and they started on fire. Not a lot of damage just the wiring harness melted and the outside of the valve cover was messed up. Also, the mechanic did the swap for free so I cant be too upset.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I havent checked lately probably the O2 sensore since I havent connected it since there isnt a cat

Please tell me that you are only talking about the rear O2, the front should be plugged in, the front O2 can't tell if you have a cat or not, and that is the O2 sensor that is required for your car to run "normally".......The maf and TB are different in a 97 than a 99+, same connector but different shape in isde the intake, so you may need an adjusted maf table

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Well, the owner took off the top end stuff and just left me the bad block. I had the complete motor out of the 02. I had to buy the alternator, throttle body and battery off of the owner because I needed those parts after the fact.

Does anyone have a 97 GTP I could compare too?

My brother has an 02 that Ive been comparing to but the 97 seems to be different in some aspects.

GraFFix

A 302 and a little boost
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
<-- old owner :eek3:

Hey, if you need some help Id be happy to take a look at it. Im pretty good with the 97 stuff since I owned that car for like 8 years. Not sure if Ill be any help with the new motor but I dont mind taking a look at it. you got my number give me a call I can stop by your place to check it out if you want.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
So, I went for a drive yesterday, trying to fix the driveability issue, and the car died out and wouldnt start again. It wouldnt even turn over. Im guessing the starter? The tow truck came and picked up the car this morning. I just got off the phone with the mechanic and he said its definitely not a vacuum leak...????

curado

Regular
Nov 11, 2008
Man that sucks. I want to give my input in case anyone hasn't already helped you with this.

Is there anybody that can check your sensors with a scanner? The big 3 are the MAP, MAF and TPS. If you have a vacuum leak in the MAP circuit it will drive like piss.

Try unpluggin the MAF entirely. I'd bet that the problem will either go away, or get tons worse. If it gets worse, then the MAP is definitely to blame.

PM me if you want my phone #. Oh, and other possibility strikes me: Has that motor been gone through recently? Possibly hydro locked due to wrong torque / bad sealing gasket? LMK..

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Man that sucks. I want to give my input in case anyone hasn't already helped you with this.

Is there anybody that can check your sensors with a scanner? The big 3 are the MAP, MAF and TPS. If you have a vacuum leak in the MAP circuit it will drive like piss.

Try unpluggin the MAF entirely. I'd bet that the problem will either go away, or get tons worse. If it gets worse, then the MAP is definitely to blame.

PM me if you want my phone #. Oh, and other possibility strikes me: Has that motor been gone through recently? Possibly hydro locked due to wrong torque / bad sealing gasket? LMK..

Well, it drove like garbage then the mechanic gave me a bag of parts which included the MAP sensor and it still drove the same once I installed it. My issue was I wasnt sure if I plugged everything in correctly.
Now, the current issue is that the oil pump went out and now my motor is locked up. The mechanic couldnt even turn the motor with the 3ft pry bar. There is something going on inside the motor and im not sure if I want him to pull it out and investigate the problem.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Pop the spark plugs out. If water drains out then you were hydro locked. It will act seized if that was the case.

Otherwise, was there even oil in it? If the mechanic forgot to put some in, I'm sure it's got some now.. :rolleyes:

Where do I go from there if its hrdro locked?
I had to drain some of the oil on Saturday, He had about 2-3 quarts too many in the engine

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info