3800 tuners, timing for cruise... non WOT adjustments

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Ok, so maybe its the 3.69s that are killing my mileage but anyways

for highway/cruise timing, is there such thing as too much? iirc 50 is the max that will show on the scanner?

My timing is way bumped up and the car feels smoother and also pulls better when letting off the gas a bit more, it doesnt just fall flat

My ltfts are within +/- 2 and I even got my MBTS table matched to the GFS table like ive seen is best.

Even after all these adjustments and heck, timing like 7* higher in some cruise cells, my MPGs when cruising are maybe 1-2mpg better than what was on before

maybe winter is a shitty time to tune for mpg with crappy gas and letting the car warm up, but its really sad how little of a difference its making considering im IC'd and rocker'd and header'd

anything else?

I'm tempted to just go back to how the timing tables were before I even messed with anything and see if that changes anything for better or worse and then start adding timing again

basically not sure if in cruise and part throttle wihout KR if there is "too much" timing??

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Wintertime MPG sucks all around. I noticed a difference when adding timing to cruise. I used Eddies program to alter the timing after a good 30-40 minute drive session and did that about 3 times. It raised and lowered where it saw fit. One I stopped seeing part throttle KR, I let it be.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
After it was suggested to me, I looked at the table from a 04+ GTP, the part throttle area is a lot more aggressive, and I was able to use that as a base to up the mid throttle timing (.18 - .35)...... But how much is too much, I run 40 - 41.5* at 60 mph cruze, and my mileage is still pretty low(due to winter temps and fuel)

The updated mid throttle table has given me back 1.2 - 2MPG's, which puts me up to my summer low mpg, so this summer I will hopefully be able pull 24 - 26mpg city

The headers will help me this summer though

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
i run 48-50* on 93 all around my cruising tables, and 50* everywhere on E85 (64 being max commanded on hpt). I just figured out you can command more than 50 but when i scan it only goes up to 50. Hm... I'll find out about this for the interested. Anyways the higher timing numbers are mostly over 2k and will drop quickly when the car see's a load since I only modified the cruising timing so i don't have part throttle knock problems. I did see a great jump in MPG's when i did that and a very noticeable difference in how much throttle i was giving it during cruising. It almost feels as if it's coasting, kind of annoying at times to be honest. Much quieter as well, noticed that right away.

EDIT: I fixed my goofed up the numbers, need to look into stuff.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info