w-body autoX and road racing... hmm

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I'm road racing mine that's for damn sure. I got a trans cooler, tq converter, and some more suspension parts to put on still but it's going to happen. I'm going to change a lot of trans shift points via hptuners so it doesn't kick into 1st, no tq converter lockup, ect. I've already started it, but it must be fine tuned at the track where i'll have a better idea of what else to change. I've got quite the water injection setup this season to keep outlet temps at the min. Pictures to be released upon finished product. Definitely nothing anyone has tried yet and through a very accurate bench test it worked perfectly. Fermilab engineers FTW. :bigthumb:

If you don't have a trans cooler i wouldn't even attempt road racing. You'll burn that shit up so quick. I guarantee 2 laps at autobahn will take trans temps clear over 200. All the horror stories you hear about trans coolers leaking and whatnot are installer error. I talked to the king himself (tranny man) his exact words were they are all installer error. He's been working with them for 10 years and hasn't have a single failure. He explained to me exactly how to hook it up so it'll be leak free and that's what I'm gonna do.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
This is exactly what i wanted to do with my 99 Lumina. More of a road race/autoX car. It can be done in any car but you'll be needing alot of suspension work and a good tire to make it work good. Race tires make a huge difference on any car.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm road racing mine that's for damn sure. I got a trans cooler, tq converter, and some more suspension parts to put on still but it's going to happen. I'm going to change a lot of trans shift points via hptuners so it doesn't kick into 1st, no tq converter lockup, ect. I've already started it, but it must be fine tuned at the track where i'll have a better idea of what else to change. I've got quite the water injection setup this season to keep outlet temps at the min. Pictures to be released upon finished product. Definitely nothing anyone has tried yet and through a very accurate bench test it worked perfectly. Fermilab engineers FTW. :bigthumb:

If you don't have a trans cooler i wouldn't even attempt road racing. You'll burn that shit up so quick. I guarantee 2 laps at autobahn will take trans temps clear over 200. All the horror stories you hear about trans coolers leaking and whatnot are installer error. I talked to the king himself (tranny man) his exact words were they are all installer error. He's been working with them for 10 years and hasn't have a single failure. He explained to me exactly how to hook it up so it'll be leak free and that's what I'm gonna do.

share your secrets!

also... im sending you a pm. :bigthumb:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
share secrets on said trans cools installs, I need to do on on the GXP. In the summer under normal driving I have hit 224* trans temps

EEEEK 224* is close to trans killing territory, i learned this the hard way. I emailed him on the install for GXP's cause I'm not sure if it's different and i don't want to give info that may or may not be correct. I'll pm you his response :bigthumb:

P.S. here's a little sumtin for dem GXP drivers... Maybe it's one of you? That would be cool :wavey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W22zfFxFHA4

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
i did a track day @ gingerman backwards a few years back in the rain. there was no accelerating out of turns....the inside wheel would just spin and i would go nowhere. also automatics act stupid and dont do what you want on tracks IMO. it pushed a fair amount too.

keep in mind it was all in the rain too...

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
I ran my GTP at Autobahn (South Track) a few years back at a SCCA event with some friends. Being this was my first time ever driving on a course like this (did parking lot AutoX before) and only having attended the drivers meeting in the morning, it was an experience.

Overall I did ok, I only had brake fade once (scary for a second or so). Fourth time out, I went a little too fast into one of the corners and my brain did not want me to take me foot off the brake. I started in on the turn and the back end started coming out quickly (again...scary for a few seconds.)

I believe the best I ran after 5 runs was a 2:13 or 2:23. I believe the highest I would let myself go was 105 on the back straight. :rofl:

The suspension and braking mods I had at the time were GMPP/Koni struts and springs, GMPP sways, poly bushings and endlinks, f-body front calipers, Powerslot rotors, Hawk pads and summer tires.

I would recommend minimally upgrading your brakes and track tires.

Also, I've had a tranny cooler on my GTP since 2000 and on my SSEi since 2006. No leaks, no problems.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
those cars be big and heavy and squishy. i would minimally go with high quality street brake pads and some super blue racing brake fluid. then summer tires then something to firm the suspension up. i dunno anything bout trans coolers but if you have an auto and this will cook it that sounds like a high priority item too!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info