Coolant is brown and gooey.. WTF?!?!

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I was cleaning up my car today and realized that I have not checked my coolant level... Actually since I have had the car I have not checked it (noob I know)

Today I first notice that the over flow hose by the radiator cap was covered in liquid. When I whiped it off I noticed it was a brown color. Almost as dark as motor oil... I was confused.

I take off the cap on the radiator (car was cold of course) and was suprised by seeing a disgusting brown gooie liquid inside and all over the cap. It looks REALLY bad. I mean its BROWN. I have never seen this before. Im getting a coolant flush asap. I would get it done today (sunday) but no one is open. Luckily I have tomorrow off so I will take it in then.

What the hell could have caused this? Im assuming rust, but I cant picture it making it gooey and just down right dirty... Im not very good with cars, but is it possible motor oil is seeping into it (flame suit on)?

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
1. I do not know what kind of coolant is in there or if it has been changed. I have never changed it.

2. The car does have an occasional leak. About the size of a dime within 24hrs. Latley it has not been leaking.

3. Is there a how to on lim gaskets? Ive read up on em. Looks like you have to change ur oil and coolant when doing them. Kinda sucks since I just changed my oil.

4. What coolant should I use?

5. Is it difficult to change the coolant in your driveway?

7. The car has aprox 74K

Thanks!

Last edited:

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
The leaking LIM issue is generally on the L36 cars, not the L67 cars. I would bet that its just old, poorly maintained coolant. I would suggest not to do a full chemical flush at this time. I would replace the old stuff with DexCool friendly stuff. A full flush may loosen stuff in the system that could be keeping everything from actually leaking.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The leaking LIM issue is generally on the L36 cars, not the L67 cars. I would bet that its just old, poorly maintained coolant. I would suggest not to do a full chemical flush at this time. I would replace the old stuff with DexCool friendly stuff. A full flush may loosen stuff in the system that could be keeping everything from actually leaking.

no way jose.

leaking lim is a huge thing on l67 cars as well...

before i did mine, there was puddles of coolant next to the s/c on the lim.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg

I think your right. My pops says he has seen this b4 with poorly maintained fluid.

How would I flush this stuff? Is it possible to do it in a driveway with simple tools? Im prolly going to try to tackle this today. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info