do i need new pistons with an xp cam?

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
u can run them no problem BUT if u have the money to spend, boy oh boy that would be a nice upgrade and peace of mind to say the least dude.....but not necessary.

there is NO peace of mind to be had from replacing the pistons on these motors...

you'll be more likely to have a failure, most likely a rod bearing, or main bearing.

no thanks.

snoop

Regular
Oct 15, 2008
i dont know what m@ is talking about at all LOL. BUT like i said after rebuilding numberous of motors, YES it WILL be a peace of mind. not likely, however, it is possible. mains...i have never seen one go bad on these motors in 11 years doing them. u dont absolutly need them, but if u have the money go for it dude. u wont regret it

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
i dont know what m@ is talking about at all LOL. BUT like i said after rebuilding numberous of motors, YES it WILL be a peace of mind. not likely, however, it is possible. mains...i have never seen one go bad on these motors in 11 years doing them. u dont absolutly need them, but if u have the money go for it dude. u wont regret it
:picard:

There are more failures of aftermarket pistons and rods than stock, so why waste the money..... ZZP's 8 sec car runs factory internals, even thought they sell forged pistons..... I wonder why

snoop

Regular
Oct 15, 2008
so wait wait wait a minute, so your saying that the stock pistons in these grand prix's are better than JE pistons lol. i know this sounds or you're reading this like i'm being sarcastic, but i am dead serious. i cant see how that is even possible. stock over JE, that just sounds retarded. i run JE in my car and thats 1000hp

learn something new everyday i guess. i had no idea

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
haha alright. I'll leave the arguing to people who actually have experience with forged pistons in L67's. I just go with what I've heard and from what I've seen on other cars that have ran them.

I'll go with this, James has more knowledge on 3800's than most, and He has Eric running OEM L32 pistons in the whippled Rivera which is 500hp+.....the piston's aren't the weak point in our cars, the trans and all it's parts are, you need to put money there way before any internal part fails from too much power (a bad tune, or other problems will cause failures of course, but you get my point)

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
so wait wait wait a minute, so your saying that the stock pistons in these grand prix's are better than JE pistons lol. i know this sounds or you're reading this like i'm being sarcastic, but i am dead serious. i cant see how that is even possible. stock over JE, that just sounds retarded. i run JE in my car and thats 1000hp

learn something new everyday i guess. i had no idea

personally, i would rather chunk a piston, than destroy a block, cam, heads, ect....

that being said, the factory 3800 pistons have proven to be very stout when used in a stock/unmolested bottom end. 600whp has not been enough to cause piston failure....tuning, or the lack there of; is the main reason for any 3800 engine failure.

sure JE piston are stronger than stock, but when stock will take you to more hp most people will EVER run with their 3800, why bother? spend 800 bucks towards tranny upgrades....

btw what car do you have that has 1000hp?

snoop

Regular
Oct 15, 2008
the man simply asked if he should get them because he had the money. i replied helping him out in the right direction. if he woulda asked about if there was anything else he should put his money, i woulda answered diferently. but he asked if he should since he had the money, the answer is quite simple....yes. like i said, not necessary, but yes if u have it. i am well aware why pistons pop. that was not the question. phat, we have talked before on the other boards, i am aware of your knowledge, but this is getting quite amusing to me when u got 3 people(m@, 02bluegt, and 02ssei), down talking me when 1: they have not built a motor before or maybe have never tore one down. and 2: basically have there "knowledge" from reading off of a forum. i can go on and on about this. u and i know why pistons pop, as i am sure you have built a couple motors yourself minus yours. however, i was just answering him in his question thats all ESPECIALLY since he's asking a question like this. if he is uncertain, odds are, the tune will be off for a while.

so please, if u have not built a motor before and just basically have your knowledge going off of what you have read on the internet, leave this alone. u dont know what your talking about, and for that, u might steer someone in the wrong direction and cause a fatal failure. so, with that being said, know-it-alls, please start bashing me after reading this. i am done with this, i can see what kinda people are on this board....

my camaro makes a lil over a 1000hp...hows your car coming along dude, shoot me a pm...

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
the man simply asked if he should get them because he had the money. i replied helping him out in the right direction. if he woulda asked about if there was anything else he should put his money, i woulda answered diferently. but he asked if he should since he had the money, the answer is quite simple....yes. like i said, not necessary, but yes if u have it. i am well aware why pistons pop. that was not the question. phat, we have talked before on the other boards, i am aware of your knowledge, but this is getting quite amusing to me when u got 3 people(m@, 02bluegt, and 02ssei), down talking me when 1: they have not built a motor before or maybe have never tore one down. and 2: basically have there "knowledge" from reading off of a forum. i can go on and on about this. u and i know why pistons pop, as i am sure you have built a couple motors yourself minus yours. however, i was just answering him in his question thats all ESPECIALLY since he's asking a question like this. if he is uncertain, odds are, the tune will be off for a while.

so please, if u have not built a motor before and just basically have your knowledge going off of what you have read on the internet, leave this alone. u dont know what your talking about, and for that, u might steer someone in the wrong direction and cause a fatal failure. so, with that being said, know-it-alls, please start bashing me after reading this. i am done with this, i can see what kinda people are on this board....

my camaro makes a lil over a 1000hp...hows your car coming along dude, shoot me a pm...

i know what you're sayin man....what motor/trans is in the car? i was in no way bashing anyone, just sayin his money is well spent on something else for 800 bucks aside from a set of pistons.....a 350 sbc on the other hand.....lol

snoop

Regular
Oct 15, 2008
shes got a 532 and a 400 trans. the motors puttin out a lil over 800 and then a 200 shot of happy juice. BUT with all the shit i been though the last couple years and has happened, i do not have the nitrous setup anymore because of some b.s., so i guess i am lying about those numbers lol, its only 800 or so =(. i know you werent bashing dude. we've talked before. but anyways, i know you know what im saying pimpin. but yeah, your car coming along good for you? i wanna see it dude, i love seeing gp's in action still.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info