I need help from you 3800 peepz

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
My friends mom has an '02(I bleieve) GP GT and it has been alot of power steering fluid and now she is leaking about 1 jug(i was just told) of ani-freeze a week.

1. I checked allllllllllll around the power steering pump and most of the hoses that run around the back of the block but i couldn't find where its leaking from aka its not wet

2. She just had the thermostat housing's gasket replaced but she is leaking anti-freeze pretty badly... and i do mean leaking not burning. Where else or what should i be looking for ansd in what areas? I pretty handy around cars so i'm not worried, just point me in the direction or just give me some ideas/pointers. I need to jack the car up 1 day this week to look further into it

UPDATE**********

Upon looking at it today in the light, ALL(power steering and anit freeze) is leaking behind the block on the driverside. Her mom also told me that there is seepage on the intake under the plastic cover. I'm taking it is the LIM gasket then? And could the power steering be leaking around the power steering box? I'm not sure where is located exactly but i'm sure it about there

UPDATE********** 2/17

here are some pics the cars issue. I'm about to work on it now. Can I jack the car up on the crossbrace underneath the motor? or do i go from the sides?

GPLIM011.jpg

GPLIM012.jpg

GPLIM013.jpg

how long does the install take roughly? and do i just pull the whole lower intake with the upper intake still attached

Last edited:

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
LIM gasket, the UIM's tend to fail on those cars too. You sure it's leaking outside of the motor? I don't know how similar they are but one of my power steering hoses was cracked when i first got my car but the dealer fixed it.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
hmm... I've been told the LIM gaskets CAN leak outward but I've yet to see it. upper or lower radiator hoses maybe. You say she got the Thermostat gasket replaced? They list both an O-ring and a gasket for the 02 L67. I bought both when i changed my thermostat but when i opened it up (presumably the first time the thermo housing had been opened) there was only an O-ring in there so i just changed that. I know most people aren't running a gasket in there and that the O-ring around the thermostat suffices. If there was a gasket between the LIM and thermo housing you'd be able to see it from the side.

sells98GT

Feb 10, 2008
Yea I'd try replacing the LIM gasket first and go from there. You'll probably discover the elbows were broken and any other leaking points when you take the motor down. If you want any help I'd be more than willing to lend a hand, I just finished the LIM gasket replacement and a bunch of other things on my 98 GT.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
PS leaks are mainly at the high pressure hose from the pump (below the alternator) to the rack, it usually leaks from the hose to hardline crimp joints, most of the time its only wet/seeping. other coomon leak points are from therack ends but this is uaually captured by the end bellows and requires removal of the inboard clamps and sliding the bellows off to see if a puddle is inside (if the car has ever "kissed" the curb this is a distinct possibility)

less likely leak points are from the PS fluid canister to pump body oring or a loose clamp on the return hose to tank nipple or a faulty weld seam on the plastic tank.

if its NA the coolant leak is likely from the LIM, external leaks are awesome..it means that there's just as much of a chance its leaking internally, but hopefully its taking the path of least resistance and going out, the other posibility is the TB gasket and seldom is the LIM end cover (only seen a few).

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
u will separate the intakes... the upper comes off quite easily, there was a lot of screws though IIRC... i missed one, got pissed at it, and cracked it the first time i did it.

then

when you get to the LIM, the bolts are primarily easy to see, except for one, which is going to be in the manifold, and most likely covered in oil.

did you get the upper gasket and the lowers?
most anywhere will have both... the upper normally comes with a dealio for the pcv system.

also... did you get new coolant elbows? cuz those are going to break. yep. going to.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info