MAF ?

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Might be a stupid question but I just wanted to get some verification. I was poking under my hood looking for vac leaks (none that I could find) trying to figure out my lean/knock problems (changing the FPR as someone here suggested had no effect). I unplugged the MAF while the car was running and got no response whatsoever. Is it normal for the car to not even seem to notice the MAF being unplugged? When I revved the engine a bit by hand (I was afraid to give it too much gas without the air being metered) it seemed to respond fine. I know when I tried this on a DSM the engine wouldn't even idle if the MAF was unplugged. I also didn't get a SES light when I unplugged it, though it may not have been disconnected long enough. Could it be an indication that my MAF is bad and I found the problem or is it just wishful thinking :lolsign:

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Yeah I know, that's why I found it odd that I could unplug it and it made zero difference at all in how the car ran. It was seriously like it didn't even know it wasn't hooked up, and the way the car stumbles all the time got me wondering. At idle, or even in motion when I'm just coasting often times the engine will start stumbling. Sometimes it's real subtle, others it damn near stalls and you have to "blip" the gas to get it to recover. I was actually explaining to my cousin who just got his license how the various sensors work and decided to unplug it quick to show him what can happen when a sensor fails. Imagine my surprise when NOTHING happened lol.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thebullfrog @ Aug 15 2008, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah I know, that's why I found it odd that I could unplug it and it made zero difference at all in how the car ran. It was seriously like it didn't even know it wasn't hooked up, and the way the car stumbles all the time got me wondering. At idle, or even in motion when I'm just coasting often times the engine will start stumbling. Sometimes it's real subtle, others it damn near stalls and you have to "blip" the gas to get it to recover. I was actually explaining to my cousin who just got his license how the various sensors work and decided to unplug it quick to show him what can happen when a sensor fails. Imagine my surprise when NOTHING happened lol.[/b]

they do tend to act in different ways... when mine went bad, unplugging it didnt help the car run better, so who knows... lol

when's the last time you cleaned the IAC and/or throttle body?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Just Yourshadow @ Aug 16 2008, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I believe when you unplug your MAF you r PCM defaults to the VE table but I could be wrong.[/b]

Thats what is supposed to happen. My car ran fine when I unplugged my maf while trying to route wires all nice under the hood.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info