Crap, AC Recharge?

LeeGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kyle @ Jul 21 2008, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ug I've GOT to do an AC recharge on my 98 GTP ASAP.

Never done something like this, but I like to think of myself as pretty handy as far as car matters are concerned.
Anyone done this?

Is it hard?
I haven't been able to find very much information on such topics but I'm looking.

Any info you guys could give me would be awesome.[/b]

Kyle its not hard to do at all. I recharged my AC in less than 15min I got a can of Sub Zero recharging kit with a reusable gage at AutoZone for about 23 bucks same kit at Target for 20buck found out afterwards. Anyway the Low side connector is located near the firewall by the evap rear of the engine bay. Theres a black protective cap that unscrews. The recharging hose only fits on the low side connector. Just follow the instruction like Silvapain said.

Good Luck

Lee

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ Jul 22 2008, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You first need to figure out why you are losing R134a along with the oils for your AC system.[/b]

again, a properly functining system does not need to be "charged".....ever. You have a leak and need to find it. Ive taken a few AC courses and my instructors always warned against those cheap AC refill kits. Theres more crap in them then just 134a and oils for the system. AC really isnt for a do it yourselfer to actually fix the problem correctly. They have a lot of very expensive machinery to do the job right.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ Jul 24 2008, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ Jul 22 2008, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You first need to figure out why you are losing R134a along with the oils for your AC system.[/b]

again, a properly functining system does not need to be "charged".....ever. You have a leak and need to find it. Ive taken a few AC courses and my instructors always warned against those cheap AC refill kits. Theres more crap in them then just 134a and oils for the system. AC really isnt for a do it yourselfer to actually fix the problem correctly. They have a lot of very expensive machinery to do the job right.
[/b][/quote]

well the car is 10 years old and has 120k on it.

I went ahead and bought the little recharge kit. Thats good enough for how much I care about that car now.

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
If you're too low on R134a, the low pressure switch will prevent the compressor clutch from engaging. To test the compressor, put the climate control on max A/C and blower on may, and bypass the low pressure switch by backprobing both leads with a paperclip. Also test the compressor clutch gap by tapping the end of the clutch with a broomstick and see if that gets the clutch to engage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info