Coolant Temp Gauge not working

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
I just noticed this on my lunch break. The gauge does move a little when i turn the key to on (reset?) but it never moves what so ever when i start driving. What does this normally mean?

I was thinking maybe my thermostat is stuck open or i have a bad coolant temp sensor. Or the guage itself is bad. The car drives fine and i have no SES lights. Any help would be great, thanks!

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
You mean if it were stuck CLOSED it would overheat. Stuck open it wouldn't heat up at all in the winter, but with as hot as it is now it would still get fairly warm, so if it's still sitting at the bottom of the gauge after driving for a while, especially in stop and go, lots of idling etc, probably the sensor, but if you haven't driven it very far it may just not be heating up enough to move the gauge at all. I'd honestly replace the T-stat first to make sure since it only costs like $10 and takes 10 min. to do. I know I'd be pissed if I replaced the sensor just to find out the Stat was stuck open, especially seeing as AFAIK most T-stats these days are designed so that if they fail they SHOULD get stuck open since having the car not heat up is way better then it overheating.

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thebullfrog @ Jul 15 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You mean if it were stuck CLOSED it would overheat. Stuck open it wouldn't heat up at all in the winter, but with as hot as it is now it would still get fairly warm, so if it's still sitting at the bottom of the gauge after driving for a while, especially in stop and go, lots of idling etc, probably the sensor, but if you haven't driven it very far it may just not be heating up enough to move the gauge at all. I'd honestly replace the T-stat first to make sure since it only costs like $10 and takes 10 min. to do. I know I'd be pissed if I replaced the sensor just to find out the Stat was stuck open, especially seeing as AFAIK most T-stats these days are designed so that if they fail they SHOULD get stuck open since having the car not heat up is way better then it overheating.[/b]

I thought i was right about it being open! Thing is i just replaced my T-stat about a month ago! Today i just noticed that the guage wasnt moving even after i drove 15 miles. I know the motor is getting hot b/c when i turn the motor off i still get my two minute fan on.

I think its the sensor!!! Is it going to hurt anything if i wait to replace the sensor?????

Just Yourshadow

Who the hell is this guy?
Aug 25, 2008
Fox River Grove
Real Name
Robert
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CompGd @ Jul 15 2008, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know the motor is getting hot b/c when i turn the motor off i still get my two minute fan on.[/b]

Doesn't the engine pull the info on coolant temp from the same sensor as the temp gauge. If so his sender is fine otherwise the fans wouldn't turn on.

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Just Yourshadow @ Jul 15 2008, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CompGd @ Jul 15 2008, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know the motor is getting hot b/c when i turn the motor off i still get my two minute fan on.[/b]

Doesn't the engine pull the info on coolant temp from the same sensor as the temp gauge. If so his sender is fine otherwise the fans wouldn't turn on.
[/b][/quote]

Thats what i thought, which is why i am confused as to why my fans still kick on!

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaturdaysGS @ Jul 16 2008, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ACTUALLY, give it a couple days. It will probably start working again. Its a common bug that happens once in a blue moon on the 04's.[/b]

It must have been one of these blue moon nights b/c sure enough the damn thing was working fine on my way to work!!!! Thank God!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info