1998 Grand Prix GT No-Start condition, (Something failed)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Hey all, I purchased a 1998 Grand Prix GT recently with a 'bad' engine.

The car has 99K on the clock, body is very straight minus needing a new turn signal and a new front bumper (or it to be repainted)

Motor burned nothing, didn't knock, drove great prior

Owner was a late 20's woman with a kid. (she's owned the car since 04)

She described that she was on the freeway coming up to a toll booth when the car 'lost power' (she did not say if it was still running or not, just that if she pushed the pedal, it had no power)

as she was coming up to the toll both she noticed smoke coming from the driver side close to the firewall.

she pulled over, let it sit 30 min, tried to restart with no luck, had it towed home.

her 'mechanic buddy' took off the serpentine and turned the crank about 3/4ths the way around and then 'it locked' and he said the motor was seized/locked and it would cost about 2 grand to fix.

I drove out and purchased the car and will be trailering it home:

The coolant was green and clean, the oil was a bit dark, but no metal shavings, and didn't look opaque or milky, just looked a little dirty

NO leaks, no fluids under the car what so ever, not a drip.

You try to turn it over, and it just kinda goes "Thunk" and the lights dim as the starter tries to turn it over but cannot.

Ideas guys? I have no problem replacing the motor, albeit if its fixable I'd rather fix it.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Just Yourshadow @ Jun 26 2008, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i don't know if this will help or not but pull all the spark plugs and put a little oil in the cylinders and let it sit. try and turn it over and see if that helps. the only way this fits the desciption though is if she overheated the engine severely but it is possible[/b]

the fact that 'mechanic buddy' turned the crank 3 quarters of a turn and then said "its locked up" makes me think he's just full of shit and maybe the timing chain snapped etc?

Usually when I think "Critical 3800 Failure" I think, Transmission, LIM gasket/Headgasket, Rod Knock. And its none of those 3

well my take is that if u try to crank it and u get a "thunk"... and her mechanic turns the crank 3/4s of the way... even if he turns the crank less than that, the engine is not seized/locked because if so then he wouldnt be able to turn it at ALL. Now when u try to crank it and the lights get dim and that sound then i would start with the starter/ charging system like faulty starter and/or Battery

And 3/4s turn and the crank stops the the cylinder is coming to top dead center and the engines compression was to strong for him to turn it pass that

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yungGTP @ Jun 26 2008, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well my take is that if u try to crank it and u get a "thunk"... and her mechanic turns the crank 3/4s of the way... even if he turns the crank less than that, the engine is not seized/locked because if so then he wouldnt be able to turn it at ALL. Now when u try to crank it and the lights get dim and that sound then i would start with the starter/ charging system like faulty starter and/or Battery

And 3/4s turn and the crank stops the the cylinder is coming to top dead center and the engines compression was to strong for him to turn it pass that[/b]

I asked her 3 times "how long has this guy been working at a shop" "Does he understand how compression works?"

After talking to Ron, I think this is a UIM Failure *gasket or the whole thing, causing coolant to enter the engine* and the motor is hydro locked but repairable.

Also with it failing WHILE running on the freeway, I don't think this is a battery/starter issue, I suspect the battery is weak from being tried to start quite a Bit I'm sure on the side of the road, but chances are its trying to compress coolant right now.
Keep the info coming though guys!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vipermike2002 @ Jun 26 2008, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
o god

How do you have 80 posts on this forum?[/b]

Hi Panda :lolsign:

I've been a member since 05 when Ryan had me sign up... Dont know why I have so many posts.

Mike, if the motor is hydrolocked and there aren't any rods saying peek-a-boo through the block, the motor should still be fine correct?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info