Powersteering leak....

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Hey,

So last weekend when i was putting the car away for the week, i had to manuver around some tight areas and moving the wheel back and forth alot.....well when i would have the wheel checked all the way to the left and then spin it back to the right, i would get some smoke coming out of the engine bay. Im guessing this is powersteering fluid and that ive just got a leak somewhere so im going to look into it this weekend......

Does anyone know where i should look first or if theres something that goes out often on the PS on a 01 GP?

Kevin

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
if you saw smoke, then it's likely leaking up towards the top of the pump/motor, since it likely got on the exhaust, causing it to burn/smoke. also, if it only did this while you had the wheel hard turned to lock, it's the extra pressure that's causing the leak... look at the fittings on the reservoir and the other fittings on the lines.

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Jun 12 2008, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silvapain @ Jun 12 2008, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not a good idea to turn the wheel to the lock. Puts a lot of stress on the PS system.[/b]
i was moving while truning the wheel....and you do what you have to do when your in a tight spot parking.....

thanks for the answer though. <_<
[/b][/quote]

I'd help you more, but I don't know much about the GP PS system, as I don't turn my wheel all the way to the lock and blow out lines. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info