hard cold startup

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
my 99 GS just recently developed a hard cold start issue. when cold, i'll turn the key for the fuel pump prime, then start it, and i have to hold the key for at least 5 seconds to get it to start. i can then immediately cut off the car, and it will start fine. leave it sit for a length of time (like an hour or so) and bam, hard start again. I had a cyl 3 missfire the other day, when i mashed on the gas while merging on the interstate. I changed out the offending plug (noted what looks like a crack in the porcelain) but the hard start was still there, so that wasnt the sole issue. the plug was exremely white colored, electrode and groundstrap. I tried to smell the vacuum line for the FPR, but couldnt determine if it smelled of fuel or not... too many other smells going on. is there a way to test out the rest of the fuel system w/o having access to a pressure tester? i dont have one of those. any help?

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
It's easy to test at least - turn the car on and let the pump prime, then let the car sit for several hours and see if it loses prime.

Are you getting any codes for a too-rich condition, or any cylinder misfires? That would indicate a leaking fuel injector. It could also be a bad FPR - with the car running, disconnect the vacuum to the FPR and see how the fuel pressure spikes.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silvapain @ Jun 8 2008, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's easy to test at least - turn the car on and let the pump prime, then let the car sit for several hours and see if it loses prime.

Are you getting any codes for a too-rich condition, or any cylinder misfires? That would indicate a leaking fuel injector. It could also be a bad FPR - with the car running, disconnect the vacuum to the FPR and see how the fuel pressure spikes.[/b]

so if i go out and prime the pump, if i turn it on again in a few hours, if the pressure is holding it wont prime again? that doesnt sound normal? as it is, after the car sits for several hours, priming the pump isnt enough to start it.. still have to hold the key for at least 5-8 seconds.

had 2 instances of misfire on cyl 3 on hard acceleration, but when i pulled the plug, noted a crack in the porcelain. also, the front 3 plugs looked exactly the same. i would suspect that if cyl 3 had a leaking injector, the plug condition of that one would look different from excess fuel, no?

Rich

Regular
Oct 7, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silvapain @ Jun 8 2008, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Are you getting any codes for a too-rich condition, or any cylinder misfires? That would indicate a leaking fuel injector. It could also be a bad FPR - with the car running, disconnect the vacuum to the FPR and see how the fuel pressure spikes.[/b]

I had an 87 Park Ave with the Series I 3800. Had a bad injector(s), and it(they) would leak like mad. The fuel rail would be full of air, and priming the pump would not help. I would either have to crank for a while, or, while the key was on, use the valve on the fuel rail to purge the air. Fuel would eventually squirt out after the air was gone. Car started right up after this. While this may be a bit on the dumb side, with fuel spraying all over the place, it definately pinpointed the problem.

~Rich

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silvapain @ Jun 9 2008, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The fuel pump primes every time the key turns to "Run", regardless of the pressure at the rail. The FPR will bleed off any excess pressure when the pump is priming.[/b]

that's what i thought-- i already know that when i start the car after i prime the pump, i still have to hold the key to get it to go. if i turn off the car and wait an hour or more, then it's hard to start again. immediate run and restart is fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Toasty
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list