Questionable tire advise?

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Ok so I go in to get a new front tire today, Goodyear assurance triplethread, I tell the guy to replace the front one and move the other side rear one to the front because its only 2 weeks old. (yes i got off sequence in my rotation, dont ask...lol)
So he tell me no the 2 new ones should go on the back. I said no its FWD they should go on the front. He says in the rain you want the new ones on the back so the rear end dosnt slide out on you, but you can still control the front end.
I told him I was more interested in launching so put them on the front, he did after I signed a waver, anyone heard of this? Its new to me............

Just Yourshadow

Who the hell is this guy?
Aug 25, 2008
Fox River Grove
Real Name
Robert
that actually happened to me. i rotated my tires myself thinking that i would get more control by haveing the good tires in front on a FWD car. about two weeks after that it was really icy, i was going a round a turn doing about 60mph, my rear slide out and i went into a ditch, got the car up on two wheels and almost rolled it. Luckily i was fine and so was the car but i learned that it's better to replace two tires than to rotate them and cause more damage than what the tire cost.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I have this argument wiht my old school dad every week. He also seems to think that tire PSI goes up ever year too.

He now thinks what is on the side wall is correct PSI....he doesnt believe me although I tell him theres no reason to have 43psi on a car tire....

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ May 15 2008, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have this argument wiht my old school dad every week. He also seems to think that tire PSI goes up ever year too.

He now thinks what is on the side wall is correct PSI....he doesnt believe me although I tell him theres no reason to have 43psi on a car tire....[/b]

the higher speedrated tires can indeed benefit from the higher pressures... helps improve temp, control, handling, and also helps rolling resistance, which helps fuel economy.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toasty @ May 15 2008, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ May 15 2008, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He now thinks what is on the side wall is correct PSI....he doesnt believe me although I tell him theres no reason to have 43psi on a car tire....[/b]

the higher speedrated tires can indeed benefit from the higher pressures... helps improve temp, control, handling, and also helps rolling resistance, which helps fuel economy.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, but max PSI in not recomended for normal driving. ALSO, there are negatives to over inflating, such as increased breaking distance do to a smaller contact patch area.....

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ May 15 2008, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toasty @ May 15 2008, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ May 15 2008, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Yes, but max PSI in not recomended for normal driving. ALSO, there are negatives to over inflating, such as increased breaking distance do to a smaller contact patch area.....

[/b][/quote]

overinflating, yes, that is bad, but as much as you and i might think of it that way, putting the tire at it's max psi is not overinflating.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toasty @ May 18 2008, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
putting the tire at it's max psi is not overinflating.[/b]

actually it is if the tire placard on the car doesnt read the same as what the max pressure of the tire is. we go through this alot at work, according to GM, even though 35 psi gives the best mpg/ride quality, a buick lucurne tire is over inflated if it's more than 32 psi cold.

but if the car is going to be weighted (towing a small boat) or passengers, upping the tire pressure really makes sense.

edit: why were you buying just one tire? you should ALWAYS try to buy tires in a pair, unless of course you had a puncture or damage or something...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info