Cant remove wheel hub, stuck on drive axel splines

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
First of all, yes, I know how to remove them and got the other side off without a sweat whatsoever.

All the bolts came off pretty good but I simply cannot seperate the wheel hub from the drive axle spline! I hammered the crap out of it, wedged it and then used a very large pulley puller with an impact gun and it did nothing. I also WD40 the crap out of it as well.

Any recomendations? Tommorow we are going to try to heat it up with a torch and let the WD 40 sit overnight(tonght).

BTW, this axel had been removed before by someone else because the wheel nut had big signs of stiripping...and it came off wierd too.....

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Well we got it off today because we torched the living hell out of it.

The auto teacher at are school said he had never seen or worked on one this bad in his 35 years working on cars. Hes damm good too.

New Hub and Passanger side drive axel just to be safe......now another problem with vibration over 40 mph. I think it cause im lowered and all......see newly created post...

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Yes, we used a large hub puller and yes I did use the correct socket for the axel nut. How else would I have gotten it off, Pliers? I had all the right tools in a full size auto repair shop with lifts, torches, and all. No, we did not hammer the axel spline. This wasn’t amateur hour, trust me. <_< I did do it right the first time.

We got the other side off 1-2-3 using all the correct methods and tools. We finally removed it using a torch and heating the crap out of it and using the hub puller (again).

The auto teacher who was helping me said it was the toughest one he had ever seen in 35 years. BTW, it had looked like someone had worked on that axel before. The threads where a little strange on it. After removing the axel, we noted that the axel slines mushroomed out at the end. The previous person must have been hitting the axel spline with a hammer.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
we have a full matco hub puller set, and most of the time when you have an axle frozen into the hub, we have to use the puller, AND the mexican heat wrench :) good work using the torch. normally the axle doesnt need to be replaced unless the threads get messed up. we also have a nice axle thread chaser....most dont have a need for the whole set, but next time you do a hub, might not be a bad idea i have the chaser handy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info