3800 Slight problem with the lowering.....

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
hey all,

well the cars been lowered now for a couple weeks and after its been sitting, the rear end is not saging once again....

heres what i want to do....see if i can do it or not.

i want to leave the rear where it is...however i NEED to lower the front further....its still to high and it doesnt have the look that i need yet...

anyone have ideas?

i put Eibach springs and KYB GR-2 Struts on both had 15k on them.....obviously worn alittle....

any ideas on how i can get the front down lower?

thanks.

I

imported_GraFFix

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Apr 18 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Apr 18 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whatever you do dont heat them up to lower it...cut a coil off or get different springs.[/b]
whats the easiest way to cut it off? how much should be? is this really a good idea?
[/b][/quote]
easiest way? lol well there really isnt a easy way. the correct way is to take the springs off the car and cut a 1/2 or full coil off then reinstall and see how it sits...Use a cutoff wheel to cut them do not torch them cause it will weaken the steel of the spring. And remember small steps, you cut to much and your stuck with it.

Personally Ive never heard of people cutting GP springs, but I have been out of the GP loop for a while. But I know eibachs usually give the biggest drop out of them all I think. One of my buddies had them and his car was slammed. Now in the mustang world people cut springs all the time...and use the method that I explained above. but then again in a RWD car the front springs are a little easier to take out and reinstall over and over.

On my GP I have the GMPP springs and they were perfect, the car sat level as could be and I installed them on used KYB's also...maybe instead of experimenting, you might be better off with some new springs??

anyways gl

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Apr 18 2008, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Apr 18 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Apr 18 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whatever you do dont heat them up to lower it...cut a coil off or get different springs.[/b]
whats the easiest way to cut it off? how much should be? is this really a good idea?
[/b][/quote]
easiest way? lol well there really isnt a easy way. the correct way is to take the springs off the car and cut a 1/2 or full coil off then reinstall and see how it sits...Use a cutoff wheel to cut them do not torch them cause it will weaken the steel of the spring. And remember small steps, you cut to much and your stuck with it.

Personally Ive never heard of people cutting GP springs, but I have been out of the GP loop for a while. But I know eibachs usually give the biggest drop out of them all I think. One of my buddies had them and his car was slammed. Now in the mustang world people cut springs all the time...and use the method that I explained above. but then again in a RWD car the front springs are a little easier to take out and reinstall over and over.

On my GP I have the GMPP springs and they were perfect, the car sat level as could be and I installed them on used KYB's also...maybe instead of experimenting, you might be better off with some new springs??

anyways gl
[/b][/quote]

I installed the tubular trailing arms and the heighting springs from wide body. Love how car sits and launches at the track. Guess its different though since you already lowered yours.

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smknL67 @ Apr 19 2008, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I believe the best term for them is called spring spacers. they go in between the rear spring and you have to turn them with an open end wrench. These also help with Launching cars, keeping the rear end from saging on a launch. I think MIke had them on his old gray GTP that he sold to Oscar.[/b]
and i get these from.....?

I

imported_GraFFix

Murrays carries the best spring boosters IMO...I used to run them all the time at the track.

Get the metal ones not the rubber ones. They look like this

ac18-1201.jpg

usually around 5-6 bucks a set.

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Apr 19 2008, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Murrays carries the best spring boosters IMO...I used to run them all the time at the track.

Get the metal ones not the rubber ones. They look like this

ac18-1201.jpg

usually around 5-6 bucks a set.[/b]
so these will be cool to run with my "not so daily driver" now?

only put one in each spring?

I

imported_GraFFix

Actually I would put 2 on each spring...the ones at murrays come in a 4 pack. I usually put on on the front of the spring and on on the rear then jacked them up to the desired height. At the track I would extend them as far as I could to jack the back up for the street I would just lower them a little and never noticed a difference in ride quality.

Another tip is to zip tie them to the spring to make sure they dont move or fall out...there is a possibility that they might move or fall out when if you hit a big dip or bump and the springs expand.

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Apr 20 2008, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Actually I would put 2 on each spring...the ones at murrays come in a 4 pack. I usually put on on the front of the spring and on on the rear then jacked them up to the desired height. At the track I would extend them as far as I could to jack the back up for the street I would just lower them a little and never noticed a difference in ride quality.

Another tip is to zip tie them to the spring to make sure they dont move or fall out...there is a possibility that they might move or fall out when if you hit a big dip or bump and the springs expand.[/b]
thanks fella, im going to try this out, hopefully they raise the back end enough.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info