3800 2004+ GP: Positives & Negatives

AjL227

Do You Even?
Feb 19, 2008
Positives:
- Gauges. The gauges in the 04+ look great, they're big and I absolutely LOVE the red gauges at night. Much better than the 97-03 gauges and set up.
- Frontend. Personally, I think the front of the 04+ look better than the fronts of the 97-03. The 97-03 gave kind of a hammerhead look, which looks good, but I think the slick diagonal angled headlamps on the 04+ GPs look sick and intimidating. Not to mention the yellow driving lamps on the circular fog lamps right underneath the headlamps. The whole appearance all together looks mean and slick.
- Eaton Gen 5 M90. This one is a no brainer. The Eaton Gen 5 M90 on 04-05 GTP is louder and more powerful than the 97-03's Eaton Gen 3 M90. +20 HP stock.
- 3rd Brake Light. I like the fact that the 3rd brake light is on the spoiler, because I have a pretty nice looking overlay that lights up "GTP" whenever I have my foot on the brake. You couldn't do that in the 97-03s.

Negatives:
- Backend. Personally, I'm not a fan of the backend they choose for the 04+ GPs. The taillights are somewhat plain and much smaller. I don't like the reverse light "bar" that just sits in the middle, it looks somewhat awkward and I hope to get it tinted/blacked out so it looks like it doesn't even exist. I love the 97-03 "honeycomb" tail lights, they look gorgeous in my opinion.
- Almost Full Size?? I think the car is a little too big, and heavy for just a mid size sedan. It might as well be classified as a full size sedan. I think GM should have made an 04+ coupe instead of just sedans. Of course they would work at it to make it look not awkward, as if I saw an 04+ coupe at this point, I would think it would look very strange. But GM would work something out. ;)

Suggestions
- I think they should just combine parts of the 04+ and the 97-03.
- 04+ Frontend
- 97-03 Backend
- 04+ Interior/Gauges

All of these = Perfect Car = My Dream Car.

What do you think? Add in your opinion of the positives and negatives of the 04+ GPs. :ph34r:

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RaceMyGTP @ Apr 17 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
they are so much better. They are build better, look better, as far as being fast...... i dont know where u get the 04+'s are slower than the 97-03, mod for mod i have never been beat by an older gp.[/b]

Well we are heavier then the 97-03's especially the coupe's. A bone stock coupe beat me at the track with a FWI & DP. I ran 14.6 to his 14.4 but he did take out his back seat and stuff. I was full wieght and no spare. The stock torque management is what kills us the most.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
definetly... the stock TM is extremely aggressive (reason GM was able to keep the 4T65E HD despite the power increase) ... I removed 25% of my TM and it was noticable... but I wouldn't dare take out more much ...

Also I wish we had a performance mode button (or in the case of the CompG , when placed into paddle shift, I wish it would use the performance tables in the PCM) ... the tables exist in the PCM (where you could have 0 TM, higher RPM shifting, firmer shifts, etc... in Performance mode) but no way (as far as I know) to activate them :(

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
The 04 front end needs the SPO grills and the SD lower damn to make it look good. Stock is horrid. SPO grills make it look better, both make it look good. The SLP hood or Inferno hood will make it look fucking sweet.

Rear end needs the SPO spoiler. Otherwise it is way to small to fit the lines of the front end. Especially with that sunfire spoiler bolted on the trunk. It also needs SPO or aftermarket tips. The stock ones are way too horrid to look at. The SE lower facia give it a nice edge as well.

Interior is alot more sold then 97-03, however the seats are just way to hard and harsh IMO. Going from my 99GP to my 97 Regal was a big upgrade IMO. Getting into my room mates 04 GTP feels too firm and a harsh ride. IIRC they also had less head room. That however doesnt affect me. LOL.

The Gen V is tits. However, you are also limited to an electronic TB, and horrible tune straight from GM.

The only stock rims that look good are the thin chrome twisty 5 stars as well.

They also mad cutouts for the brake light in 97-03 GTPs. I however didnt have one cause I really liked my fully tinted back window look alot better. I dont see the reason to advertise anyway. Your car says GTP on the back unless you took it off. I would never get a huge banner to cover the rear brake lights that said "GS" or "Supercharged". Hell, if I wanted it could go all the way across since thats how Regals light up. "Regal GS Supercharged". That would look tits. :lolsign:

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Forgot about the Drive by wire...........FTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think fish hit it on the spot for appearance. I liked my car when I brought it but I had to put all the SPO shit on it to make it even better! I just wish I would have gotten the front lip but know I dont care anymore...lol....this mutha is gettn traded in by the end of the year! HOPEFULLY

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RaceMyGTP @ Apr 17 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
they are so much better. They are build better, look better, as far as being fast...... i dont know where u get the 04+'s are slower than the 97-03, mod for mod i have never been beat by an older gp.[/b]
By built better, what do you mean? We have torn down a few series III motors and i would say besides the connecting rods, the series II would have a few advantages. The front cover for one, GM dropped the ball big time on those. Its down right dangerous for how badly they flow.
Another thing to remember is 75% of the O4 owners dont have a L32 shortblock. GM didnt run out of stock on the L67s till late in 04. They put L32 heads,LIM,GEN 5,and front cover on L67 blocks. Almost the only way to insure you have a L32 is to get an 05 motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info