3800 anyone else have LIM/UIM gasket leak???

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
ive been on a couple grand prix sites lately and it seems ALOT of people have Intake manifold gasket leaks. but it seems no one really has the courage or know how to do it. so im thinking we should get a group of guys together that need to have it done and maybe a guy or 2 that knows what hes doing that way we could A. learn how to do it outself. and B. only spend about 100 bucks on parts instead of 500 at a shop

anyone interested.

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Apr 9 2008, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ive been on a couple grand prix sites lately and it seems ALOT of people have Intake manifold gasket leaks. but it seems no one really has the courage or know how to do it. so im thinking we should get a group of guys together that need to have it done and maybe a guy or 2 that knows what hes doing that way we could A. learn how to do it outself. and B. only spend about 100 bucks on parts instead of 500 at a shop

anyone interested.[/b]

i and justyourshadow (assuming) would prolly be down to help out with the labor and what not....its pretty easy

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2TonGTP @ Apr 9 2008, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah i have a LIM leak too. I've been buying up all the gaskets and reading on how to do this. Im definitely interested. Keep me posted.[/b]

sweet this is getting better results then i thought it would. can someone give me a list of parts i NEED to do this. its been about 4,000 miles since the leak started. so i know its gotta be getting close to leaking in my engine.

I

imported_GraFFix

I HAD a LIM leak...James took care if it for me and all is good.

Shit almost every gasket has been replaced on the car in the past year. Only thing that hasnt been touched are the head gaskets. Oil pan, rear main, cam cover, LIM, S/C, TB, trans pan...and proably a few more i forgot about.

2TonGTP

2TonGTP
Mar 10, 2008
sweet this is getting better results then i thought it would. can someone give me a list of parts i NEED to do this. its been about 4,000 miles since the leak started. so i know its gotta be getting close to leaking in my engine.
[/quote]

LIM Gaskets (i have read that alumnium is the way to go)
Supercharger Gasket
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^2 LIM O-rings (wbodystore.com has supercharger gaskets that include o-rings i believe)
12 injector O-rings
Coolant Elbows (if you havent already replaced).
Coolant
Fuel line disconnect tool?

-Might be a good time to do the coupler since the supercahrger is off-
SC Coupler
SC Oil

I think thats most of it...

I

imported_GraFFix

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (J.E.T. @ Apr 10 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Apr 9 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depending on the price you can just get a top end kit...thats what I did. All the gaskets you will need and then some will be in the box.[/b]

Whats the part number for the top end kit and where can I get it?

Heh, I feel like a newbie posting.

J.E.T.
[/b][/quote]
Ill call my buddy tomorrow and ask him again...he works at Lee Auto so I usually go through him and get his employee cost.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Apr 10 2008, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (J.E.T. @ Apr 10 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Apr 9 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depending on the price you can just get a top end kit...thats what I did. All the gaskets you will need and then some will be in the box.[/b]

Whats the part number for the top end kit and where can I get it?

Heh, I feel like a newbie posting.

J.E.T.
[/b][/quote]
Ill call my buddy tomorrow and ask him again...he works at Lee Auto so I usually go through him and get his employee cost.
[/b][/quote]

thatd be awesome man.. ill prob get one too.

I

imported_GraFFix

OK...I hope I covered most of the vehicles on here. They call this a head set. It is all the gaskets from the head up...No head bolts or exhaust gaskets in this set though you have to get those seperatly.

97 GTP - HS9089PT1 (fel-pro)
98-03 GTP - HS9089PT2 (fel-pro)

97+ GT - HS9917PT (fel-pro)

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Apr 11 2008, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK...I hope I covered most of the vehicles on here. They call this a head set. It is all the gaskets from the head up...No head bolts or exhaust gaskets in this set though you have to get those seperatly.

97 GTP - HS9089PT1 (fel-pro)
98-03 GTP - HS9089PT2 (fel-pro)

97+ GT - HS9917PT (fel-pro)[/b]

what would be some pricings on those? are those the GM numbers or autozone numbers?

I

imported_GraFFix

Dont know the pricing...they are fel-pro kits and I guess you'd have to call your local auto parts store to check. They are not GM part #'s My prices are low cause like I said before i get my stuff pretty much at cost from my buddy. unfortunately I cant pass that along to anyone. Its hard enough form him to do it for me.

I

imported_GraFFix

I just checked rockauto and they list the kit for 200. Thats alot cause I know I only payed about half that. Your best bet would be to either call around for pricing or just piece together the gaskets you need for the job. Like I said the kit I posted is a complete top end kit all the way to the heads.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Apr 11 2008, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just checked rockauto and they list the kit for 200. Thats alot cause I know I only payed about half that. Your best bet would be to either call around for pricing or just piece together the gaskets you need for the job. Like I said the kit I posted is a complete top end kit all the way to the heads.[/b]

Since the kit includes head gaskets which wouldnt be needed for this job it might be better to buy the parts separately. I saw that ZZP had some kits...

J.E.T.

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
To bring up an old post...

Just got my GTP back from the dealership after the recall front valvecover gasket repair. They said my serpentine belt was cracked and the LIM gaskets were leaking...quoted me $1150 to fix both! Just ordered all the necessary parts from The W Body Store and my local AutoZone for ~$150. Ahh, it's nice to save a grand by doing my own work!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info