3800 Signed up at UTI today

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I hope you did your research for this place and want to wish you good luck before I start....

Anyway, UTI is a TON of money and most kids I know do not like the place or believe it is a waste of money after they are done with it.

Overall, there is mostly book work, lecture, videos and training station for you to work on. Not as much on car experience as you think.

To tell you the honest truth, MVCC and COD have top notch auto programs for 1/10 the price.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ Mar 31 2008, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hope you did your research for this place and want to wish you good luck before I start....

Anyway, UTI is a TON of money and most kids I know do not like the place or believe it is a waste of money after they are done with it.

Overall, there is mostly book work, lecture, videos and training station for you to work on. Not as much on car experience as you think.

To tell you the honest truth, MVCC and COD have top notch auto programs for 1/10 the price.[/b]

Concured. Alot of people I know that went to UTI wish they never went.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ Mar 31 2008, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I strongly suggest you take a look at COD or MVCC....they will give you a tour if you call and ask them.[/b]

most people these days go to college and never even use their degrees anyways. people are lazy and most people dont take the technical add on courses like i did they just take the basics and think they are a master mechanic. now thats just the people ive talked to. everyones different with different choices i did research UTI quite a bit for the last year and thats why i chose it.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ThirdgenTa @ Mar 31 2008, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Everyone I know who has gone to UTI have come out with less knowlege than they had before they went in. They usually get a job at Jiffy Lube or a tire place.[/b]

thats there problem.... you have to be a freakin retard to work at jiffy lube especialy after your certified. thats their own fault for not getting off their asses and finding a real job.

trust me the world is full of morons and especialy lazy asses now a day. it never use to be this way. there NEVER use to be sooooo many stupid, lazy people in the world. im far from the average person. like i always say i cant make just minimum wage. i dont live a minimum life style so i cant have limited funds.

if that was the case i would have studied Ford or toyota but NO instead i went above and chose Mercedes. after that ill prob fly my happy ass to texas and get certified in BMW's too.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
You have to be a lazy dumb fuck to work at Jiffy Lube after going to a place like UTI. It is not the schools fault that some of the studends do not like UTI and talk bad about the place after they leave. The school if not ment to be a play ground and fuck off time, you are there to learn, and if you apply youself it is a great place. I went to UTI myself, in Houston TX, for collision repair and I am the oldest person doing production work in the shop. I had a job at a large body shop before I graduated UTI, 2 1/2 years later I quit working at that shop and found another job the same day. Congrats mang, learn a lot and have fun.

I

imported_Theautoguy

Good job at continuing your education in a field you care about but...

...in reference to your judgement on the rest of the people you run into; do you need any help nailing yourself to that cross so we can have a new savior to look up to and worship?

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoop @ Mar 31 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what is MVCC?

good luck 2000, wrench on[/b]

Moraine Valley Community College for the Southwest Suburbs of Chicago.

I am not slamming UTI, except for their Harvard degree prices. It is what you put into it, but clearly, there are many affordable schools that do a better job at a tenth of the price. Those student loans will add up QUICKLY, careful.

One thing H.S. kids do not understand about many of these "trade" schools is that they are not their H.S. shop class where many of them just screwed off all day and had no homework to do. Its a rude awakening for some.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ Mar 31 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoop @ Mar 31 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what is MVCC?

good luck 2000, wrench on[/b]

Moraine Valley Community College for the Southwest Suburbs of Chicago.

I am not slamming UTI, except for their Harvard degree prices. It is what you put into it, but clearly, there are many affordable schools that do a better job at a tenth of the price. Those student loans will add up QUICKLY, careful.

One thing H.S. kids do not understand about many of these "trade" schools is that they are not their H.S. shop class where many of them just screwed off all day and had no homework to do. Its a rude awakening for some.
[/b][/quote]

seeing as ill be paying for this 100% myself...and i know some of you may think i dont know much about cars others and myself believe i have a great talent and passion for cars. im gonna do everything i can to be #1 in my class. and i know that sound slike high goals and some of you may laugh but its what i want. thats my level of determination thats how i get what i want.

in the words of Lincoln Hawk from Over the top
" THE WORLD MEETS NO ONE HALFWAY, IF YOU WANT SOEMTHING YOU HAVE TO GO GET IT, YOU HAVE TO FIGHT FOR IT!!!" and thats the damn truth.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
i have to go against the grain here....

i think you are on the right track. coming from someone who works on cars everyday, this is a great future. no matter how you look at it, no matter how much gas costs, people need to commute. their cars HAVE to be repaired, and computers/technical repairs are how everything is going. i am the young guy at the shop, and i am the only one who does the computer updates, and so forth. the other 'seasoned' techs, just can't grasp on.

regardless of how much you paid, if you come out of there with a solid knowledge base, and maybe an ase cert or two, if you use them to snag a good job, you wont regret it.

you have the mindset you like to 'tinker' with cars, and want to learn more....this is the place to do it.

however, i dont know how UTI works, but when i was in college, we needed to supply our own tools. not an easy task, when you add everything up. i would venture to say, i have 8k in tools, and i only use an average size craftsman box. dont go jumping into a matco/snap-on/mac tool chest right away. work up to it.

I

imported_snoop

yeah exactly, even though you will get those "high end" tools for HALF because of the student discount, they will still add up pimpin. like he said, be careful. which i know you will/are. have fun and learn lots dude, gaurentee you'll love it(wont say assume) i wish you the best of luck for real.

My brother went to UTI he only missed 1 day of class and got all A's, after that he got into the VW program and has worked at a VW dealer down in Indy for 2 years now. If you do well don't miss any days you will find a nice job. My other buddy did diesel and now has a great job also. Work hard and you will have a great job.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoop @ Apr 1 2008, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yeah exactly, even though you will get those "high end" tools for HALF because of the student discount, they will still add up pimpin. like he said, be careful. which i know you will/are. have fun and learn lots dude, gaurentee you'll love it(wont say assume) i wish you the best of luck for real.[/b]

well over the past few years ive been doing work on other peoples cars every time i needed a tool i didnt have i would run out and buy it because i figured if i need it once ill need it again plus i knew eventualy id need a good set for school/job some day so mine as well start and accumulate over the years instead of spending 10 grand at once.

im totally looking forward to it, now im looking forward to it even more just to prove people wrong :D

bigsammoe

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Gurnee
UTI isnt all what they say they are. I went 08-2005 till 10-2006. did auto some diesel and industrial. I didnt miss a single day, had perfect attendeance with a 3.2 GPA. I didnt get offered any Mstat or programs. Ive been on a waiting list for some time and only thing UTI had to say was take ford. I alays saw them as wanting more money. Exp with that sally mae BS... look into a loan other than them cause basic tution is 25 now WOW. and after sally mae you might be up to 28-30. Mine was just under 20. and with all that sally mae crap i found out it was more like 24-25.. i got out of the sally mae crap. The teachers and promgrams are ok. They move the teachers alot so its not like an easy brezze cause theres only certain things you can teach to a kid and test em on it. Alot of the kids are kicks who came from low no body schools and are just ready to freakin go nuts, and then theres some who take it to the highest level of education they can get. It was bad when i went. 30+ kids with one instructor and hardly any thing to work on or with. but that place is a lil small in glendale heights. Id say go to NC and check that one out.. Nascar program is pretty kool. So i FL with the nissain program. Also from personal lesson learned in life. GO to Moriane do thier Dogde program and get a real degree aka associates degree.. Cause all UTI gave me was lies and 2 nice pices of paper and a Laughing brand on my resume.

Good luck and be ready to Spend looooooots of money! Also that snap on BS(that toll rep is a TOTAL DICK!) is crap u get like 2 pts or 300 bucks toward tools.. Save up and buy an old mechicans set from craigs list or garage sales.

If ya want more info or personal thoughts drop me a line.

Dont be late ever.. Jump start is GAY!

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bigsammoe @ Apr 4 2008, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
UTI isnt all what they say they are. I went 08-2005 till 10-2006. did auto some diesel and industrial. I didnt miss a single day, had perfect attendeance with a 3.2 GPA. I didnt get offered any Mstat or programs. Ive been on a waiting list for some time and only thing UTI had to say was take ford. I alays saw them as wanting more money. Exp with that sally mae BS... look into a loan other than them cause basic tution is 25 now WOW. and after sally mae you might be up to 28-30. Mine was just under 20. and with all that sally mae crap i found out it was more like 24-25.. i got out of the sally mae crap. The teachers and promgrams are ok. They move the teachers alot so its not like an easy brezze cause theres only certain things you can teach to a kid and test em on it. Alot of the kids are kicks who came from low no body schools and are just ready to freakin go nuts, and then theres some who take it to the highest level of education they can get. It was bad when i went. 30+ kids with one instructor and hardly any thing to work on or with. but that place is a lil small in glendale heights. Id say go to NC and check that one out.. Nascar program is pretty kool. So i FL with the nissain program. Also from personal lesson learned in life. GO to Moriane do thier Dogde program and get a real degree aka associates degree.. Cause all UTI gave me was lies and 2 nice pices of paper and a Laughing brand on my resume.

Good luck and be ready to Spend looooooots of money! Also that snap on BS(that toll rep is a TOTAL DICK!) is crap u get like 2 pts or 300 bucks toward tools.. Save up and buy an old mechicans set from craigs list or garage sales.

If ya want more info or personal thoughts drop me a line.

Dont be late ever.. Jump start is GAY![/b]

Exactly what many kids have told me who left the program cause of BS. BTW, stay far away from a schools "choice" loan company. Usually there in bed together and trust me, there not looking out for you or your $$$$

Education is a business and its all about the money for them and you. Dont let them kid you. Its kind of like the ASE cert test and almost everybody taking them passes( I think the figure was 80-90 Percent per site) :blink: .....If no one passed, they would be out of buisness. What is your community college in you area? If I were you Id back outa this and got to COD or MVCC and put the other 22k dollars in a much better investment such as a Roth IRA, down payment of a house, etc.....

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jj91284 @ Apr 5 2008, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Out of curiosity, what is the usual starting pay for say domestic and basic import, then again for the more exotic.

Where does the pay scale usually top off?

I know region has a alot to do with it, I'm just looking for general pay.[/b]

for an hourly tech the average starting pay is anywhere from 15-25/hr. that depends greatly on type,size, and location of the dealer/service center. experience also plays a HUGE roll. having good references like UTI, and ASE aknolgoment mean alot, but 9 times out of ten, they want the experience. just like being street smart, and book smart, the same thing applies.

a tech making flat rate could make a lot more, but could also be in the gutter if it was slow or has some comebacks. you could easily make 1200/week flat rate, but you could easily make 200 a week too. if you are VERY good, fast, and reliable, 50k+ is well achieveable working flat rate.

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
alright, i'll get this out of the way right off the bat. the following are based of my experiances and opinions strictly.

i graduated from UTI in january of this year. i am still in illinois because i did very well (3.9 gpa, 99.9% attendance) and i was offered a position in the ITEP msat... it's a post-training program designed to train international trucks technicians. i will be finished with it in 2 weeks and start my job the monday after... believe me, i've worked my ass off to get to this level (moved here from mn to attend)

the school itself is like everywhere else, it has it's ups and downs, it's good people who will do all they can to help you, and the ones that are just there to collect a paycheck, and most of all, you WILL get what you put into it, or lose what you do not. your goals seem like you want to go there and demand your money's worth, and that's admirable, i see myself in you and know you'll do well and make a great addition to this industry.

the core problem with UTI is the ammount of people they allow in who don't deserve to be there, don't care about being there, and who don't WANT to be there. you will see more kids sleeping in class than staying awake, and it's fucktards like this that pollute the school and the industry, especially around glendale heights, il. you will be outcast for rather concentrating on cars than thinkin about drinkin and bitchin about lack of pussy on campus. however, these are the people that work at jiffy lube, or don't go into the industry, or get a shot and blow it. you wouldn't expect to find these types as a school costing 25k for 12 months of training, but they make it in because mommy and daddy send the checks. these are the scum of the school and the auto industry, but you will rise above them without worry or question, your focus is in the right spot.

that said, i've learned a lot at the school. uti's reputation beyond areas with uti's around them is great, and you'll find it's a great way to get your foot in the door of a lucritive industry. your success is what you'll make of it, and you seem to be having the drive and attitude to make the most of it.

as for tools, from my experiance (have a father who was in the industry since i was born) he's hammered into me the importance of investing in a good set to begin with, so i used my matco deal to get a good set of what i was missing, and got a few odds and ends from snap on as well. got me a box used for dirt cheap and am loving it. altogether, i saved up all the money i needed while attending school and paid straight cash for them (roughly 5 grand) not to shabby.

hopefully this rant has ensured you i have a slight idea of what i'm talking about, so feel free to pm me or set up a time to sit down and chat or something, i'd be happy to help ya with questions or whatever as you seem like you got your head in the right spot.

good luck to you

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fish @ Apr 5 2008, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Apparently this topic is popping everywhere. LOL.

http://www.thechicagogarage.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5365

Im sure it is a good school, however I dont know about the $$$. Double that price and you can go to Devry and graduate with an actual bachelors degree.[/b]

i appreciate everyones advice I have posted in a few other areas and people all say that i have a great mental mindset and have a good drive so that will get me alot further then 90% of the kids coming out of that school. with that being said may 12th is the happening date. and again i apprecaite everyones advice and input

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i never enrolled to UTI...and too many of the courses were repeating what i already knew...
that $ went to educating myself and supplying my tool addiction for my obsession. at 27 i have 1/20th the debt of any of my old HS friends and i have way more invested in that which makes me happy ;)

so far i'm doing good, put yourself into it and give it your all and you will go places, i do highly recommend hands on experience outside of the limited UTI atmosphere. find yourself an independant shop and you will have the opportunity to work on all sorts of makes/models/problems/pattern failures/ tips and tricks from "good ole boys" etc.
By the time your out of school you will have a much better idea of where you want to go...for me it ended my repair/service/diagnostics work and turned more to rodding/etc. i worked my ass off (not literally lol) and doors opened, i'm now close to my dream, and doing what i love, welding, machining, wrenching and racing. a close friend started as a mech for 12 years right out of HS no training than hands on...he now runs the warehouse/shop of a glazing company, yet another now works on just mercruiser hardware... with no "formal" training.

i can say this much...tenacity towards learning was a common factor with the three of us...and a huge reason we are still friends to this day

i'll just leave you with a great saying... if you make $ doing what you love to do, its not work...

best of luck to you in your future endeavours

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info