3800 best year???

3064datazz

Mar 11, 2008
Hello guys!! New member, I'm in the market for a 98-03 gtp or regal gs. I'm trying to figure out what year is the best? I know the o4's are a little too expensive for me right now. I'm looking on spending about 5-7000. Mileage is not THAT important, but I would like it to have less then 100. What should I look for when checking one out? I can wrench so thats not a problem, but I dont know if these cars have any MAJOR problems that I should be aware of. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kyle @ Mar 11 2008, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
99-02

97s are different in a few ways (depending on when it was actually made)
There are various problems with 98s.

And 03s are weird in a lot of ways.
So 99-02 is where its at.[/b]

Yes the 97's are different....they are the fastest!!! Also the dic is better looking.....

I

imported_Ron Vogel

97's also are more prone to head cracking, weaker transmissions, and that POS PCM.

99-00 are really the best, but 01-02 is OK. GM started to bean count later, so the 01-02 can be parts bin rides. More freaks in 99-00 than any other years.

98's have the biggest stock cam, but the 1.6 rocker, opposed to the 1.66 in '99 up. The 98's are a little better than the 97, but the trans isn't as updated.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ron Vogel @ Mar 11 2008, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
97's also are more prone to head cracking, weaker transmissions, and that POS PCM.

99-00 are really the best, but 01-02 is OK. GM started to bean count later, so the 01-02 can be parts bin rides. More freaks in 99-00 than any other years.

98's have the biggest stock cam, but the 1.6 rocker, opposed to the 1.66 in '99 up. The 98's are a little better than the 97, but the trans isn't as updated.[/b]

I knew the head cracking, but I was always under the assumtion that the tranny was the strongest. Something about the OS shaft and the input shafts.

Everyone says the PCM is garbage, but There are 97s out there putting down power with them. What is so difficult about them?

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
01 i say.
its built in 2000 most likely
no metal POS gas tank
better placement of the evap box
onstar
better steering wheel
no digital HVAC unit to go bad.
im not a fan of the performance shift knob, so not having it was kinda nice
plus by this time most of the trans problems were fixed

IIRC this was the first year of the special edtion....some people like the wings off these models

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fish @ Mar 12 2008, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ron Vogel @ Mar 11 2008, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone says the PCM is garbage, but There are 97s out there putting down power with them. What is so difficult about them?
[/b][/quote]
some of those "97s" are not using 97 PCMs tho

plus having the newer style is easier to sell/reflash to another year and model

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
i have owned 2 GTP's a 98 and 00. currently i own a 2000 GTP and it has been nothing but a load of crap. i talked to the previous owner after i bought the car and it started to fall apart. he said he had just as many problems hence why he got rid of it.

I bought the car with 93k on it back in 06 heres what IVE HAD to replace since i bought it

Intake gaskets
battery
altenator
starter
both belts
supercharger coupler
HUD switch
pads,rotors, and front calipers
plugs
wires
fuel filter
front valve cover gasket 2x
water pump
front O2 sensor
trunk solenoids

not to mention most of you have seen my posts theres something wrong with my car and NO ONE not even dealerships can figure out why when cruising at 60mph non stop i only get 230 miles to a full tank.

theres a bunch more odds and ends things but you get the idea...and this is JUST WHAT IVE REPLACED

NOW for the 98 GTP. i had no problems with that car. it had 130k miles on it and i beat the living crap out of it for 2 years. the previous owner never changed the trans fluid so at 128k on i had it flushed and from then on out the trans slipped in first gear. not sure why but in the 2 years i owned the 98 i think all i replaced was the battery and reqd maint. like oil and stuff.

i will NEVER own anohter grand prix in my life but i will ALWAYS stick with pontiac. thats my .02 worth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Mar 12 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the previous owner never changed the trans fluid so at 128k on i had it flushed and from then on out the trans slipped in first gear.[/b]

This is where working at Stiffy Lube actually pays off :), In a nut shell, at 128k, with Never changing the fuild, trans fluid actually ends up becomeing a "varnish" and will coat the internal parts of your transmission. Then, when you do actually change it, the new and fresh fluid will try and "clean" off the "varnish", which it doesn't, only breaks it off in chunks and screws up your trans. If where you had it flushed out had Any clue, they would have told you not to change it and that sliping would become a problem, but they where more worried about taking your $$. At Jiffy lube we Would NOT flush a trans if the owner had no knowladge of when it was last changed. Best way to avoid this, if you have not changed the fuild with in 60k, just dont do it.

Anyways! I own a 2000 GTP, Havent had any Serious problems except ones I caused on my own. All I know is I like it alot and am glad I bought it. For your price range I also say go with 99-00.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
This is where working at Stiffy Lube actually pays off :), In a nut shell, at 128k, with Never changing the fuild, trans fluid actually ends up becomeing a "varnish" and will coat the internal parts of your transmission. Then, when you do actually change it, the new and fresh fluid will try and "clean" off the "varnish", which it doesn't, only breaks it off in chunks and screws up your trans. If where you had it flushed out had Any clue, they would have told you not to change it and that sliping would become a problem, but they where more worried about taking your $$. At Jiffy lube we Would NOT flush a trans if the owner had no knowladge of when it was last changed. Best way to avoid this, if you have not changed the fuild with in 60k, just dont do it.

Anyways! I own a 2000 GTP, Havent had any Serious problems except ones I caused on my own. All I know is I like it alot and am glad I bought it. For your price range I also say go with 99-00.
[/quote]

yea im aware of that. i told them to do a drain and fill only. after i came back from lunch(i know i shouldnt have left) a different guy was working on it with the machine hooked up. i told them about the damaging affects. he told me if i could find proof of why it can cause damage to flush a trans after so long they would replace my trans....i didnt know how to go about so i said screw it and sold the car to some kid that totaled it 3 days after buying it.

3064datazz

Mar 11, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Mar 12 2008, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaytonaGTP25 @ Mar 12 2008, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, find proof?? How about everyone and there mother who knows anything about cars in general knows about that?

friggin punks....[/b]

you just cant tell some people some things man lol

all i know is i want my WS-6 back :lol:
[/b][/quote]

awesome info guys!!! I will look for a 99 or a 00 model then. I kno I might get yeld at but just real quick, is that the same for the buick regals as well?? Those things are definate sleepers :) Just trying to keep my options and what not open! Thanks for ALL the responses so far tho!!

02DyeFour

There can be only One...
Mar 13, 2008
Oak Forest/DeKalb
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaytonaGTP25 @ Mar 12 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Mar 12 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the previous owner never changed the trans fluid so at 128k on i had it flushed and from then on out the trans slipped in first gear.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I have limited knowledge of transmissions...anyway, I just purchased a '02 Gp with 95,000 miles on it. I am not sure if the tranny fluid has ever been replaced. So, my best bet is not to change it? Let me know because I was actually going to do it this weekend!

I "changed" my fluid at 65-70K and filter, no problems now and I'm at 100K. I did not get it flushed at a service center. I think flushing it is where people run into problems. That will knock off the build up that the trans accumulates over time. No one's going to be able to predict what will happen but, the way I always look at it, if it aint broke don't fix it.

02DyeFour

There can be only One...
Mar 13, 2008
Oak Forest/DeKalb
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigJermGTP @ Mar 14 2008, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I "changed" my fluid at 65-70K and filter, no problems now and I'm at 100K. I did not get it flushed at a service center. I think flushing it is where people run into problems. That will knock off the build up that the trans accumulates over time. No one's going to be able to predict what will happen but, the way I always look at it, if it aint broke don't fix it.[/b]

Yea I'm not having any problems with it so I guess I will hold off on the fluid change. I'm kinda glad because now I can spend that money on some more mods :D

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GPJeff @ Mar 14 2008, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaytonaGTP25 @ Mar 12 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Mar 12 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I have limited knowledge of transmissions...anyway, I just purchased a '02 Gp with 95,000 miles on it. I am not sure if the tranny fluid has ever been replaced. So, my best bet is not to change it? Let me know because I was actually going to do it this weekend!
[/b][/quote]

you can change it but just drop the pan, drain the fluid, replace filter, replace pan gasket(if needed) and then fill it back up with trans fluid. dont do the high pressure flushing. thats what did mine in.

02DyeFour

There can be only One...
Mar 13, 2008
Oak Forest/DeKalb
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Mar 14 2008, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GPJeff @ Mar 14 2008, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaytonaGTP25 @ Mar 12 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

you can change it but just drop the pan, drain the fluid, replace filter, replace pan gasket(if needed) and then fill it back up with trans fluid. dont do the high pressure flushing. thats what did mine in.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the input. Me and my buddy were gonna get our trannys flushed but now I'll just wait till summer and just drop the pan. I'm trying to help my car not hurt her lol

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
Thanks for the input. Me and my buddy were gonna get our trannys flushed but now I'll just wait till summer and just drop the pan. I'm trying to help my car not hurt her lol
[/quote]

itll only take about 30 minutes to do. if your gonna do it i STRONGLY reccommend putting in a shift kit since you already have the pan off, fluid drained and filter out. only thing left is removing the accumulator which is like 8 more bolts. you can get them at the w-body store. thats where i got mine. i definetly feel a difference with lower shifts

02DyeFour

There can be only One...
Mar 13, 2008
Oak Forest/DeKalb
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Mar 14 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the input. Me and my buddy were gonna get our trannys flushed but now I'll just wait till summer and just drop the pan. I'm trying to help my car not hurt her lol[/b]

itll only take about 30 minutes to do. if your gonna do it i STRONGLY reccommend putting in a shift kit since you already have the pan off, fluid drained and filter out. only thing left is removing the accumulator which is like 8 more bolts. you can get them at the w-body store. thats where i got mine. i definetly feel a difference with lower shifts

Hmm...so I am assuming that a shift kit isn't that hard to install. I only ask because I was planning on doing one but, transmissions scare me lol. I found some how-to's on it and got all kinds of confused and gave up on the idea. I'll def. reconsider it now. But, I guess if I am planning on doing one now would be the time!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info