3800 Emissions Testing?

3800SC98

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Chicago
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dizave @ Mar 3 2008, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just wondered if this has happened to anybody else.

I just tested the GP last year for emissions and passed, but I just recieved another notice to get it tested this year.

I thought it was every two years. Not a big deal, but jesus seems like overkill to me.[/b]

Yup, came in from work yesterday and saw the damn thing in the mailbox, I thought it was for my brother's, turns out it's for my 98, again.

Rich

Regular
Oct 7, 2008
I live in Chicago, and had to have my '68 vette tested 2 years in a row. Not fun to have to detune the thing every year for emissions testing.

I tried to pass without detuning and my HC count was about 2400.....woops. Passing for a '68 is 900 ppm for HC.

After a detune, I ended up blowing 214 ppm on HC. Havent gotten a notice yet for this year, so I may be good (hopefully).

My GTP only comes up every couple of years.

~Rich

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ThaLord @ Mar 8 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There will be no more emission testing for cars made before 1996.

"Exempt, Kit and Custom Vehicles.."

"• Vehicles of model year 1995 or before that were in compliance with the Illinois Vehicle Emissions Inspection Law on February 1, 2007; "

EPA Website

So if you have a '95 or earlier, no more testing for you!

John[/b]

your link is broken

essentially, the state used to tie failed emissions tests to drivers licenses (suspending if you fail to fix vehicle, etc etc) now, this year, they are requiring vehicles to pass the emissions test before renewing your plates. this means that some of you will have to re-test before your normal 2 year cycle is up, because your plate is expiring. and yes, if your 1995 or older vehicle was in compliance on feb 1, 2008, you are now exempt from testing.

here's the link to the 'air team' testing people

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/index.html

dizave

Regular
Apr 27, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toasty @ Mar 9 2008, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ThaLord @ Mar 8 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There will be no more emission testing for cars made before 1996.

"Exempt, Kit and Custom Vehicles.."

"• Vehicles of model year 1995 or before that were in compliance with the Illinois Vehicle Emissions Inspection Law on February 1, 2007; "

EPA Website

So if you have a '95 or earlier, no more testing for you!

John[/b]

your link is broken

essentially, the state used to tie failed emissions tests to drivers licenses (suspending if you fail to fix vehicle, etc etc) now, this year, they are requiring vehicles to pass the emissions test before renewing your plates. this means that some of you will have to re-test before your normal 2 year cycle is up, because your plate is expiring. and yes, if your 1995 or older vehicle was in compliance on feb 1, 2008, you are now exempt from testing.

here's the link to the 'air team' testing people

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/index.html
[/b][/quote]

Thanks I was wondering why I had to do it again. My plates expire in June.

ThaLord

TCG Elite Member
Dec 2, 2008
Cicero
Yeah.. don't know what happend to my link there.. copied and pasted wrong. these computers are foreign to me. lol

Just one correction to your statement.

"if your 1995 or older vehicle was in compliance on feb 1, 2008, you are now exempt from testing. "

should state "are in compliance with the law as of February 1, 2007"

John

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ThaLord @ Mar 9 2008, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah.. don't know what happend to my link there.. copied and pasted wrong. these computers are foreign to me. lol

Just one correction to your statement.

"if your 1995 or older vehicle was in compliance on feb 1, 2008, you are now exempt from testing. "

should state "are in compliance with the law as of February 1, 2007"

John[/b]

er.. yeah.... i meant 2007 :p

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Turbocharged400sbc @ Mar 9 2008, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
+1 fer 1st gen W's ;)

gotta love how the state spent all the $ on the test centers, dyno's, equipment etc. and they're scraping it all.[/b]

i was quite surprised, too that they were scrapping testing on all of those cars. granted there arent as many of them on the road anymore, but there still has to be a sizeable number of them.

I

imported_GraFFix

this new emissions testing is BS...lol

My car has been down pretty much all winter. I got my emissions notice in the mail in Dec. I didnt think much of it since you usually have a while to go and take the test. Well my plates expired at the end of Feb. So I go to the currency exchange to get my new sticker and the lady tells me that she cant give me the sticker cause it has to pass emissions. So I start calling around and finally get someone at the EPA down in springfield. After calling 5 different numbers and getting the run around...only for the lady to tell me that I either take the car to get tested or I cannot get my plates renewed. There is no more inoperable vehicle, no more excuses. you either do it or no plates.

So now I had a broken car sitting on the street with expired plates...and of course that same day I get home from work and I have a ticket on the car for expired plates! lol Needless to say I put it in the garage that night to get it off the street.

So long story short, I cant get my plates renewed cause I have to pass emissions first, but the car isnt running to go take the test. And now to top it all off my plates are expired and even if it was running I cant go get it tested cause they wont test a car with expired plates on it. So I have to get a temp tag or something to be able to drive it to the emissions place to get my real plates renewed...lol

Anyways, the car is running now. I replaced the fuel pump last night. I just need to pick up some new rotors and pads all around, plugs/wires and a new SC coupler since im tired of having a rock tumbler under the hood. Then I can go get my temp tag to go take emissions to get my real plates to get the car legal again...

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
im going on year 2 now with this GTP and ive yet to get anything in the mail once for neeeding emissions. my parents both had to to get theirs done but not me

i guess itll bite me in the ass just like them not busting me for blowing tolls the past THREE YEARS. i just got a bill in the mail for 3 years of toll dues.....NIIIICEEEE

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Mar 12 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
im going on year 2 now with this GTP and ive yet to get anything in the mail once for neeeding emissions. my parents both had to to get theirs done but not me

i guess itll bite me in the ass just like them not busting me for blowing tolls the past THREE YEARS. i just got a bill in the mail for 3 years of toll dues.....NIIIICEEEE[/b]

I had to pay about $3000 in toll fines about 5 years ago. It had to paid in full at the time otherwise they would suspend my license

Edmond

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
Emissions in IL sucks, it's totally a way of sucking more money out of us. And don't even get me started on the "Otherwise I'd be working at McDonalds" group of people that work there... :unsure:

You should be able to get a temporary at most DMV's, right? I know for sure that they sell temps. at the DMV on the southside around 95th and King Dr.

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
Well i got my emissions done yesterday on my lunch break....and couldnt believe how fast it went, i swear i was in and out in less than 3 minutes.....BTW i do have to thank Fish for deleting those codes for me...One other thing i could of sworn our cars weighed in at 3400-3500lbs, on the sheet they gave me my car weighed in at 3880lbs???????

Anyways, thanks Fish again for your help!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info