3800 HELP!!?!

john99gtp

Regular
Jul 20, 2007
lockport
it might be the fuel pump resistor. Thiers a way to find out if it is or not. You have to bend one of the prongs on a relay in the fuse box under the hood. I dont have the car here with me its in storage or i could tell you which one exactly it is. Im sure if you search you can find it. Hope this helps. good luck

John

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Well, the fix is that the fuel resistor needs to be replaced, but if one is on the side of the road with a "dead" car, what can be done? Steve Foster of the OQCGP offered this advice:

Here is what you do. Remove the relay in the underhood electrical center by your battery. The relay should be labeled "f/pmp spd cont relay" or something along those lines. It is supposed to read fuel pump speed control.
Take along a paperclip, and short out pins 30 and 87A. to do this, remove the relay, and where those pins were on the fuse-block, put the paperclip in those 2 positions.

If you do not feel comfortable doing that, another option follows.

Remove the same relay as above. Bend over the one lead of the relay labeled 85 or 86. Either one will work. reinsert relay into original position.

This will get you home hopefully until you can fix it properly.

(This article written up with the assistance of Steve Foster of the OQCGP)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info