3800 Dash/cluster light problems

Rich

Regular
Oct 7, 2008
I have an '01 GTP. Just recently, the dash lights behind the tach and the fuel guage will cut out after about 5 minutes of being on. The rest of the dash stays lit (the speedo and the temp guage). If the car sits for a bit, maybe an hour, the lights are normal again for 5 minutes, then cut out again. I pulled the dash and cluster looking for loose connections, maybe a burn in the flexible PCB, and found nothing.

It looked as if all of the illuminiation bulbs shared the same traces on the PCB, so i thought it was odd that only half would go out, unless there is a break in the circuit somewhere.

This ever happen to anyone else? Anyone have an old cluster in good condition they are willing to sell (or donate)? All I need is the flexible PCB on the back.

Thanks

~Rich

I

imported_GraFFix

Easy fix...just pull the dash trim off, unscrew the gauges, its only 2 screws i think. then unhook the wire harness from the back. I believe theirs 2 plugs. then you youll see the bulbs on the back of the gauge cluster. I believe their 194 bulbs. its been so long since I did it my instructions might have to be tweaked a little but its a very easy fix.

My suggestion is to just replace them all while you have it out. their only like 2 bucks for a 2 pack..I think theirs like 6 or so bulbs back there.

Rich

Regular
Oct 7, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Feb 15 2008, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Easy fix...just pull the dash trim off, unscrew the gauges, its only 2 screws i think. then unhook the wire harness from the back. I believe theirs 2 plugs. then you youll see the bulbs on the back of the gauge cluster. I believe their 194 bulbs. its been so long since I did it my instructions might have to be tweaked a little but its a very easy fix.

My suggestion is to just replace them all while you have it out. their only like 2 bucks for a 2 pack..I think theirs like 6 or so bulbs back there.[/b]

THe bulbs are not bad. They cut after 5 minutes. THe next time I drive the car, they come back on for another five minutes then cut out again.

I'm thinking that there is a break somewhere in the circuit that only goes into effect after the circuit warms up.

I have already had the dash out and verified the bulbs were good. I even moved some bulbs around, and the same two illumination locations cut out (behind the tach and fuel guage).

~Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Rich
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list