3800 Tranny Problems

Hey i think my trans is about to kick the bucket. When i accelerate from a light it shifts from 1st to 2nd fine. But it takes forever to shift into 3rd gear and when it finally shits, the car jerks. I checked the fluid and the level is ok. Thats no the cream of the crop. Eariler today when i was driving home from work, my car started making this wining noise when i hit the throttle. At first i thought it was the power steering but it wasnt. Then i thought it was the Supercharger couplers going bad until i popped the hood and as i hit the throttle from the TB it sounded like it was coming from the trans. Now im no expert at transmissions, Hell i dont even know if trannys make noises when they go bad. I just want to know where to start as far as where to go and how deep this is going into my pockets. Any inputs?

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yungGTP @ Feb 11 2008, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey i think my trans is about to kick the bucket. When i accelerate from a light it shifts from 1st to 2nd fine. But it takes forever to shift into 3rd gear and when it finally shits, the car jerks. I checked the fluid and the level is ok. Thats no the cream of the crop. Eariler today when i was driving home from work, my car started making this wining noise when i hit the throttle. At first i thought it was the power steering but it wasnt. Then i thought it was the Supercharger couplers going bad until i popped the hood and as i hit the throttle from the TB it sounded like it was coming from the trans. Now im no expert at transmissions, Hell i dont even know if trannys make noises when they go bad. I just want to know where to start as far as where to go and how deep this is going into my pockets. Any inputs?[/b]

it's quite possible that your trans is now running the pump at max line pressure, wanting to 'fix' the shifting issues. an OE rebuild at most places will run in the 1800-2200 and up neighborhood around here, not including any type of beefing up/etc. you could get one of the replacement performance transmissions from w-body store, though not sure if they are handling installation right now. if you can get the car out to fort wayne, IN area, there's an awesome guy out there that does awesome trans work, and typical rebuilds cost less than what i listed earlier, and that's with heavier components (not full race prep by any means, but heavy street/light strip) --www.tripleedgeperformance.com -- he's spending lots of time over on the grandprixforums.net site nowadays.

Thanks for all the inputs guys. The tranny finally kicked the bucket this morning when i was leaving out for work. I was stuck in the snow and when i tried to gun it out a couple of times, the tires stopped spinning and the engine just revved. I tried REVERSE which was working so i could put the car back in the parking spot but that gave out in a couple of revs. So me and this guy from around the way had to push the car back where it was so an asshole wont side swipe it cause my front end was sticking out. I then had it towed to this neighborhood shop and hes charging me $1800 flat for a trans rebuild, new HD CV shaft (pass side) and hes installing my desert fox transcooler that i had laying around the house for awhile. Do u think i got ripped off or its a pretty fair price considering he came and got the car for free

Oh BTW i called Aamco Transmission and they wanted a minimum of 1995 plus whatever i needed and the other installs and repairs was gonna be extra

I

imported_1fastGTP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yungGTP @ Feb 13 2008, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for all the inputs guys. The tranny finally kicked the bucket this morning when i was leaving out for work. I was stuck in the snow and when i tried to gun it out a couple of times, the tires stopped spinning and the engine just revved. I tried REVERSE which was working so i could put the car back in the parking spot but that gave out in a couple of revs. So me and this guy from around the way had to push the car back where it was so an asshole wont side swipe it cause my front end was sticking out. I then had it towed to this neighborhood shop and hes charging me $1800 flat for a trans rebuild, new HD CV shaft (pass side) and hes installing my desert fox transcooler that i had laying around the house for awhile. Do u think i got ripped off or its a pretty fair price considering he came and got the car for free

Oh BTW i called Aamco Transmission and they wanted a minimum of 1995 plus whatever i needed and the other installs and repairs was gonna be extra[/b]

wow... just buy my FULLY BUILT trans for $3k and call it a day. lol.

I

imported_1fastGTP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yungGTP @ Feb 13 2008, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i have a mild modded GTP Your trans sounds like its way out of my league and besides the trans is already being broken down. If I had the mods for it and the cash then your tranny would be SOLD[/b]

I know what you mean. It would have been smart of you to rebuild the trans with hard parts... so you dont have to take a chance of going through all this again. I'm selling the trans for $2,850, i said 3k just so you get the idea. the GM 1" chain costs $800-$850 alone, and i have the hardened input/output shafts just the whole Dynotech Stage 3 trans. let us know how your trans turns out. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info