3800 why not bosch???

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
i have a good feeling this is gonna get a million posts but here it goes

everyone says not to use Bosch, i have always seen and heard of bosch as a great brand with quality parts UNTIL i got a grand prix. since i got a grand prix people have never said one good thing about them.

people always say they are JUNK BUT NEVER SAY WHY.

i posted a few days ago a topic called 14.1 MPG WTF someone said if i have a bosch O2 sensor i got ripped. i have bosch wires, plugs and now a bosch o2 sensor in my GTP but i can almost guarantee if i put AC delco parts on not one thing will change and nor will my performance.

so someone explain to me...SOMEONE SELL ME OFF BOSCH PARTS.

and dont just give me your opinion show me some details some charts something that makes sense...not just that...uuumm well i used them and they sucked.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tspence45 @ Jan 21 2008, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've also been wondering why I've heard people say that lately. I plan on going with bosch plugs and wires and also a bosch o2 sensor to replace my bad one on the passenger side header. I had always heard good things before. But, lately, it seems like everyone hates them for some reason.[/b]

well im glad im not the only one who heard that. when i had my LT-1 WS-6 i only used bosch parts. of course i used iridum NGK plugs but otherwise ive always used bosch

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Jan 21 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tspence45 @ Jan 21 2008, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've also been wondering why I've heard people say that lately. I plan on going with bosch plugs and wires and also a bosch o2 sensor to replace my bad one on the passenger side header. I had always heard good things before. But, lately, it seems like everyone hates them for some reason.[/b]

well im glad im not the only one who heard that. when i had my LT-1 WS-6 i only used bosch parts. of course i used iridum NGK plugs but otherwise ive always used bosch
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, I've always heard that Bosch Platinum +4 plugs were darn good plugs. That's what I planned on getting when I change my plugs here in a couple weeks.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
i wouldn't bother with plat. 4 or any of those...stick to single. if you think about it whats the one thing electricity does...ALWAYS follows the path or least resistance. or the shortest path...so its usualy only gonna be coming out of one or 2 of the 4 anyways...to me it seems like a waste.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
i have changed a lot of spark plugs in my day, and honestly, stay away from bosch. they dont perform like they say they do, esp. on a supercharged car. the electrode breaks down way faster than delco plugs.

as for the o2's, they are hit or miss. we use them at work when nothing else is avaiable, and i would say that 20% of them come back with the same problem. i would stick with OE parts if possible. i can get cost on most gm parts so if anyone ever needs anything, just hit me up

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
For as long as I can remember people have always told me to avoid Bosch. I used Bosch plug wires once on my DSM. They literally fell apart the first time I went to pull them off. Yes I used grease, and no they weren't on very long. Maybe a couple weeks till I had to change my VC gasket. Pulled by the boot. 3 of the 4 came apart with zero effort. They weren't stuck on. It took NO force to pull them apart. I'll never use Bosch again.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
when I had my regal I tryed almost every brand of spark plug using the same heat range in every brand, I was not happy with the bosch at all and took them out after 2 weeks. The bosch plugs fouled easily and the car ran like crap by the end of the first week. I ended up likeing autolite the best and stuck with them

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I've actually had good luck with the plugs, but the 02 sensors for OUR platform suck. It's an application problem only, it just isn't spec'd right for our engines. They end up with crosscounts so slow, it mimics an old AC or Denso sensor in just a few months. The 1 bosch 02 sensor I tried started throwing bank insuffcient switching codes in 6 months.

Always use the Denso or AC models.

The other thing is, 02 sensors are designed to fail erroring with slow croscounts, and lean readings. This basically causes the PCM to compensate by dumping fuel to fix a non-exsistant lean condition.

It's a pretty safe rule of thimb to look at the 02 sensor if MPG is bad.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ron Vogel @ Jan 23 2008, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've actually had good luck with the plugs, but the 02 sensors for OUR platform suck. It's an application problem only, it just isn't spec'd right for our engines. They end up with crosscounts so slow, it mimics an old AC or Denso sensor in just a few months. The 1 bosch 02 sensor I tried started throwing bank insuffcient switching codes in 6 months.

Always use the Denso or AC models.

The other thing is, 02 sensors are designed to fail erroring with slow croscounts, and lean readings. This basically causes the PCM to compensate by dumping fuel to fix a non-exsistant lean condition.

It's a pretty safe rule of thimb to look at the 02 sensor if MPG is bad.[/b]

well i paid 80 for the damn thing...so its gonna stay in there for a while. i just bought new Autolite 104 platinum plugs last night so ill be taking the bosch ones out. now its just a matter of doing it in the -10 degree temperature :(

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Jan 24 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vipermike2002 @ Jan 24 2008, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Platinum plugs suck for these cars, so I hear.[/b]

oh well....im pretty much sick of wasting my money on this stupid car i shoulda just kept my WS-6
[/b][/quote]

A LT1 would have cost you even more money to fix/maintain. Ever change the plugs on one of those? :lolsign:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vipermike2002 @ Jan 24 2008, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Jan 24 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vipermike2002 @ Jan 24 2008, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh well....im pretty much sick of wasting my money on this stupid car i shoulda just kept my WS-6
[/b][/quote]

A LT1 would have cost you even more money to fix/maintain. Ever change the plugs on one of those? :lolsign:
[/b][/quote]
I'm dreading the day that I'll have to. lol. I've heard that it's easier with headers though.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tspence45 @ Jan 24 2008, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vipermike2002 @ Jan 24 2008, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Jan 24 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
I'm dreading the day that I'll have to. lol. I've heard that it's easier with headers though.
[/b][/quote]

yea i did have to change the plugs on mine actually. I had Edelbrock shorty headers which is literally THE WORST you could have on the LT-1 when doing plugs. with the proper tools it took me 4 hours. i recommenced removing the headers when changing the plugs.

if you ever need help though gimmie a call

oh and btw I've had 150% more problems with this grand prix then i ever did with my trans am :blink:

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
HEY tspence45 do your headers look something like this???

header.jpg

hers a couple more pics of my car
niceass8.jpg

1-1.jpg

rearcap8.jpg

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thebullfrog @ Jan 25 2008, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Damn that's a nice looking T/A right there.
I've always wanted an F-body. That's what I would own right now instead of the GTP if it weren't for the whole winter thing. They were always my first love until the DSM bug bit me. At some point I WILL own an F-body, just haven't been able to make it happen.[/b]

dude i would give ANYTHING to have that car back. if it werent for the fact that oil was pouring out of my exhaust i woulda kept it. i dont know anything about tearing apart the internals to an engine. so i sold it for 6500

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Yeah oil out the exhaust is usually a bad thing.
One of these days I just wanna grab an older LT-1 and play with it. I'd rather have an LS-1 of course, but it would just be a toy so I'd rather go cheap. Of course by the time I can afford an extra toy, LS-1's will cost nothing so maybe I'll be able to get one after all.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thebullfrog @ Jan 25 2008, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
One of these days I just wanna grab an older LT-1 and play with it. I'd rather have an LS-1 of course, but it would just be a toy so I'd rather go cheap. Of course by the time I can afford an extra toy, LS-1's will cost nothing so maybe I'll be able to get one after all.[/b]

id take an LT-1 over the LS-1 the only thing that i really like about the LS-1 is the look of the intake manifold and the fact that it has more stock power otherwise the valve train in those things are really bad plus the LT-1 sounds aloot better :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Jan 25 2008, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
HEY tspence45 do your headers look something like this???

header.jpg
[/b]
No, my headers look like this. Is there anything I can do to get rid of that rust on the front? It annoys me because it looks like crap.

Yours look like a bitch to change plugs and wires. Mine looks pretty easy. It's a little more cramped on the passenger side though.

That's also a sweet WS6 you had. I wanted a T/A sooo bad, but couldn't find any close or in my price range, so I had to settle for a Z28. I like the look of the T/A's a lot better.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Jan 25 2008, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thebullfrog @ Jan 25 2008, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of these days I just wanna grab an older LT-1 and play with it. I'd rather have an LS-1 of course, but it would just be a toy so I'd rather go cheap. Of course by the time I can afford an extra toy, LS-1's will cost nothing so maybe I'll be able to get one after all.[/b]

id take an LT-1 over the LS-1 the only thing that i really like about the LS-1 is the look of the intake manifold and the fact that it has more stock power otherwise the valve train in those things are really bad plus the LT-1 sounds aloot better :D
[/b][/quote]

Optispark FTL.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fish @ Jan 25 2008, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2000GTPK @ Jan 25 2008, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thebullfrog @ Jan 25 2008, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Optispark FTL.
[/b][/quote]
My brand new opti with a lifetime warranty ftw!!! lol. I just wish my plug wires had a lifetime warranty. The cheapest wires I've found are $40. And I'd rather spend that money on something cool for the car. lol

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
Optispark FTL.
[/quote]
My brand new opti with a lifetime warranty ftw!!! lol. I just wish my plug wires had a lifetime warranty. The cheapest wires I've found are $40. And I'd rather spend that money on something cool for the car. lol
[/quote]

not really sure what FTW means. but its not the price of the opti, its doing the damn thing. i never had to do mine thankfully but i had to do my buddies. the passenger side looks like itd be harder but it was actually easier on mine. the drivers side took me the longer. i couldn't even see the very back plug on the drivers side. i was using pipes, extensions, swivel attachments everything you can think of to get those out. i see you have the overhead wire set which with the LT-1 is the best thing you could have. i must have gone through like 3 sets of wires before i finaly learned about the overhead set.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info