3800 Mike K

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I was reading up on the modmyifone forums and its hard to get a straight answer since there are about 563456 different threads about the same thing and they all have different answers. Its like clubgp and asking about what kinda times will I run with X mods. :lolsign:

Anyway. My phone came with 1.1.2 preloaded. I also read something about the bootloader needed to be below a certain version as well and you could tell that by the 4th and 5th numerals in the serial#. This is really starting to give me a headache.

All I know is that they already jailbreaked a 1.1.3 but arent releasing the info until next month. I should be able to do mine correct? Im purposly not upgrading to 1.1.3 just for the sake of jailbreaking the damn thing.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Lets see.

Touchscreen
8 gigs of storage.
Weather right on the homescreen
iTunes on the homescren
Doesnt have GPS, however with the release of 1.1.3, google maps will pinpoint your location and you can get directions that way
The ability to be hacked and add even more features. I guess you have to be popular and useful to most instead of the coperate world in order to want a modding fanbase.

Shall I go on?

I also didnt know that you were mike K and knew how to jailbreak an iPhone. :rolleyes:

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
HAHAH.... Fish I am laughing at you, sorry usually I agree with your opinion, but the iPhone is a shitty phone, the iPod touch is a great iPod, but to add phone to it, lame...

Wait until you need to replace the battery, or the screen breaks, or you realize that texting someone on that phone is terrible because there is no tactile feel.

Oh and AT&T, slow data....

:p

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Texting is awsome. I love texting on this phone. In fact, we can now send texts to multiple people. The battery and screen arent an issue. The phone has the standard 1 year warranty and I bought the extended one just in case. So I drive 5 minutes to Woodfield and have it repaired. boohoo.

Ill admit. Cingular was alot better before it was AT@T, but its still probably the best service Ive had. This coming from quite a few carriers. Cept Nextel and sprint. I refuse to use them. Have a hard enough time calling people with those carriers. Id hate to make a call on them.

Ive had it for over a month and so far the only thing Im kinda irked about is the needed to restart it once and awhile. However, all my phones have done that so its not something that I just started experiencing.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fish @ Jan 21 2008, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lets see.

Touchscreen
8 gigs of storage.
Weather right on the homescreen
iTunes on the homescren
Doesnt have GPS, however with the release of 1.1.3, google maps will pinpoint your location and you can get directions that way
The ability to be hacked and add even more features. I guess you have to be popular and useful to most instead of the coperate world in order to want a modding fanbase.

Shall I go on?

I also didnt know that you were mike K and knew how to jailbreak an iPhone. :rolleyes:[/b]

Touchscreen? so you gotta use two hands at all time to operate the phone? Wait till you drop it, and crack the screen, normal phones can take a beating, not the I-Phone.

Please... the corporate world doesent use I-Phones for a reason.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Ive dropped my last 3 phones 0 times. Im not a retard like alot of people and fumble my shit around.

I can operate my phone with one hand. Even send text messages typing on the keyboard. Its faster with 2, however it can be done with one. Takes motor skills. Guess alot of people dont have em.

Never said blackberrys were worse then the iPhone for the corperate world. I said that the corperations are the #1 users of blackberrys. They market themselves to that field. Ive never seen one end user buy one just to have one. There are alot more end users the corperate users. Hence more people interested in iPhone mods and hacks. Learn to read.

Most iPhone haters hate apple, cant afford an iPhone, or both. I dont care for apple, but I love my iPhone. Dont hate.

Mike K, stop cloning your alter egos and answer my question. :lolsign:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Never have I seen so many people have so much anomosity for an inatimate device and a company. If you've used the Iphone for any appreciable amount of time you'd love it. I often joke around with my friends who don't get that I'm going to buy one just so I can hand it out to people for a week at a time. It's truly a revolutionary device and once jailbroken is limitless in it's possibilities.

Second to that, User Interface makes or breaks a product. This is why the Ipod destroyed all other MP3 players when it came out. This is why the Ipod still owns an 80% market share in the MP3 player market 7 years later. There's not many products with a lifecycle that long. This is why other companies are copying the Iphone/ Itouch user interface for their next generation products.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Wait until you need to replace the battery, or the screen breaks, or you realize that texting someone on that phone is terrible because there is no tactile feel.[/b]
John, you know I love you buddy but this comment displays an obvious lack of hands on knowledge. First off, Apple already said it will cost $70.00 to replace the battery. People knew it when they bought it so the argument is moot. That said, the battery last for days, literally. I use my phone all the time, check my email all the time, stream music during the day, watch movies, text message, and play Mario (I love mario). I'm usually at 50 - 60% battery life at the end of the day. According to my phone right now I'm at 79%.

Tactile doesn't mean anything. The keyboard predicts what word you're going to type and makes each subsequent letter's touch area larger so that if I'm typing cow and accidentally hit more of the E instead of the W the phone knows to put a W there and enlarges that letter's area. I type qwerty on a keyboard. I can switch to the Iphone and out-type just about anyone. You know where the keys are after you use it for any appreciable amount of time.

Touchscreen? so you gotta use two hands at all time to operate the phone?[/b]
Why would you have to use two hands to operate a touchscreen phone? I can hold it like any other phone and use my thumb to operate it.

Please... the corporate world doesent use I-Phones for a reason.[/b]
Because it's not easily incorporated into networks for one and because it's designed as a media device for two. Why would any corporation go out of their way to pay the premium the Iphone commands when their employees have absolutely no need for an Ipod? Your argument is beyond flawed.

Wait till you drop it, and crack the screen, normal phones can take a beating, not the I-Phone[/b]
Another baseless comment from someone that doesn't own the device in question. Anyone that knows me knows that I'm hard on my phones. I drop my Iphone all the time, i put it in my pocket with my keys, I grab it when my hands are soaking. I have two miniscule impressions in the back of the case and not a single scratch on the front of the phone. Take a look for the video on Youtube where they try to break an Iphone. It takes a licking.

The important question here is why so many are so hell bent on telling someone what a piece of junk their phone is...

Brian, As far as I know the bootloader issue is still not resolved but from what I understood this was only a matter of unlocking the phone to use on different networks and had to connection to adding APPTap to the phone which is what's responsible for adding all the cool 3rd party apps. I'm not too up to date with it since my phone is a first run unit. I don't think the software version has anything to do with it. The bootloader is the issue.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Now why cant people on modmyifone type like that?? That made more sense.

From what I remember, they jailbroke an iphone 1.1.2 with a 4.6 bootloader. According to them, my phone has the newer bootloader due to the serial numbers on my phone. So it looks like no matter what firmware I have Ill have to wait. Looks like I might as well update to 1.1.3 firmware since they already confirmed its jailbreakable, and get the cool options from apple.

Thanks for the info.

I

imported_GraFFix

I have a motorola Q and can do pretty much everything you mentioned....

weather on homepage
windows media player for video and MP3
4-8g of storage
check all mail accounts
Brouse the internet with IE
QWERTY keypad
google maps
AIM, yahoo IM, ICQ, and MSN messenger

Plus being windows based I can also play all nintendo games, sega game and any other emulator you can think of, install extra programs...its endless.

And I payed 99 bucks for the phone and only pay 50 a month for unlimited text and web, plus 1200 min. and free nights and weekends starting at 7pm

Eat that apple...

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GraFFix @ Jan 22 2008, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

weather on homepage
4-8g of storage
check all mail accounts
QWERTY keypad
google maps

Plus being windows based I can also play all nintendo games, sega game and any other emulator you can think of, install extra programs...its endless.

And I payed 99 bucks for the phone and only pay 50 a month for unlimited text and web, plus 1200 min. and free nights and weekends starting at 7pm

Eat that apple...[/b]

Yeah, that is basically the same boat myself and my friends are in, so much better....

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mike K @ Jan 21 2008, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Never have I seen so many people have so much anomosity for an inatimate device and a company. If you've used the Iphone for any appreciable amount of time you'd love it. I often joke around with my friends who don't get that I'm going to buy one just so I can hand it out to people for a week at a time. It's truly a revolutionary device and once jailbroken is limitless in it's possibilities.

Second to that, User Interface makes or breaks a product. This is why the Ipod destroyed all other MP3 players when it came out. This is why the Ipod still owns an 80% market share in the MP3 player market 7 years later. There's not many products with a lifecycle that long. This is why other companies are copying the Iphone/ Itouch user interface for their next generation products.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Wait until you need to replace the battery, or the screen breaks, or you realize that texting someone on that phone is terrible because there is no tactile feel.[/b]
John, you know I love you buddy but this comment displays an obvious lack of hands on knowledge. First off, Apple already said it will cost $70.00 to replace the battery. People knew it when they bought it so the argument is moot. That said, the battery last for days, literally. I use my phone all the time, check my email all the time, stream music during the day, watch movies, text message, and play Mario (I love mario). I'm usually at 50 - 60% battery life at the end of the day. According to my phone right now I'm at 79%.

Tactile doesn't mean anything. The keyboard predicts what word you're going to type and makes each subsequent letter's touch area larger so that if I'm typing cow and accidentally hit more of the E instead of the W the phone knows to put a W there and enlarges that letter's area. I type qwerty on a keyboard. I can switch to the Iphone and out-type just about anyone. You know where the keys are after you use it for any appreciable amount of time.

Touchscreen? so you gotta use two hands at all time to operate the phone?[/b]
Why would you have to use two hands to operate a touchscreen phone? I can hold it like any other phone and use my thumb to operate it.

Please... the corporate world doesent use I-Phones for a reason.[/b]
Because it's not easily incorporated into networks for one and because it's designed as a media device for two. Why would any corporation go out of their way to pay the premium the Iphone commands when their employees have absolutely no need for an Ipod? Your argument is beyond flawed.

Wait till you drop it, and crack the screen, normal phones can take a beating, not the I-Phone[/b]
Another baseless comment from someone that doesn't own the device in question. Anyone that knows me knows that I'm hard on my phones. I drop my Iphone all the time, i put it in my pocket with my keys, I grab it when my hands are soaking. I have two miniscule impressions in the back of the case and not a single scratch on the front of the phone. Take a look for the video on Youtube where they try to break an Iphone. It takes a licking.

The important question here is why so many are so hell bent on telling someone what a piece of junk their phone is...

Brian, As far as I know the bootloader issue is still not resolved but from what I understood this was only a matter of unlocking the phone to use on different networks and had to connection to adding APPTap to the phone which is what's responsible for adding all the cool 3rd party apps. I'm not too up to date with it since my phone is a first run unit. I don't think the software version has anything to do with it. The bootloader is the issue.
[/b][/quote]

Mike, Im really just arguing for the sake of a argument, since nothing really goes on at this site anymore. Fish probably knows that. I honestly do not like Apple and would never buy one of there products. This is mostly from all the issues I had in highschool with there computers. However I would have loved to buy some of there stock in the late 90's when they were about to vanish off the earth before the I-Mac and later I-pod. I dont see why the I-pod took off while other MP3 players failed. The only thing I can think of is the eye catching fruity colors. Now back to the I-Phone, In all reality I would never fork over $600 for a phone regardless what it could and does do. You can buy a budget laptop for $600 or a FEW phones or MP3 players.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
It does have alot of features on it. I however dont sit at home and surf the net on the thing. LOL. I do use alot of the features.

I keep my personal email linked to it. Has helped out quite a bit. Especially buying car parts and sending emails and receiving paypals.

The phone by itself just feels better then any phone I have owned.

I like the way the text messages work.

I just started to use the web apps. Alot of them would have been helpful over the holidays. Ohh well. LOL.

All in all its a nice package. Ill admit it was pricey. If I didnt come into some money like I did, I probably wouldnt have bought it. Since I did buy it, Ill hate it if/when I have to get another phone.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Why all the hate on apple?? There IPODs outsold anything on the market. Thier PC/LAPTOP OS blows anything out the water!(wish I could afford one)
The IPhone may not be the greatest thing in the world but you cant ask for anything more. Maybe a lil cheaper on the price would be better but not far off from some of the competitors smartphones. Plus I get a nice discount... ;) Yeah the Edge network isnt all that great compared to 3G which I use for my laptop but things are in the works for making it better. (ask me how I know) It has nothing to do with ATT buying cingular its mainly because AT&T has bigger and better things on thier platter that take precedence over wireless. ATT by far has the largest network and of course like any other network there will be some dead spots but hey thats just how it is.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

weather on homepage
4-8g of storage
check all mail accounts
QWERTY keypad
google maps

Eat that apple...[/b]
Again, user interface/ experience always is going to win out. That's the only way a company could sell a 2.5G phone with no GPS, no MMS, etc for $600.00. Use the Iphone for any amount of time and you can't live without it. I've always had the "top" phone just because it's a business expense and I like gadgets. This is hands down the best phone I've ever had and that's a long list of phones! I'm sure it helps that I was a prior Ipod user so all my media incorporates into the device.

Mike, Im really just arguing for the sake of a argument, since nothing really goes on at this site anymore. Fish probably knows that. I honestly do not like Apple and would never buy one of there products. This is mostly from all the issues I had in highschool with there computers. However I would have loved to buy some of there stock in the late 90's when they were about to vanish off the earth before the I-Mac and later I-pod. I dont see why the I-pod took off while other MP3 players failed. The only thing I can think of is the eye catching fruity colors. Now back to the I-Phone, In all reality I would never fork over $600 for a phone regardless what it could and does do. You can buy a budget laptop for $600 or a FEW phones or MP3 players.[/b]
I understand. I like to play devil's advocate a lot just for spite too. :)

I dont see why the I-pod took off while other MP3 players failed.[/b]
User interface/ storage space. Take a look at the other Mp3 players that were on the market at the time the Ipod was introed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info