3800 Car Alarm Install

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Hey all,

Hey im looking to by a AUDIOVOX PRESTIGE CAR ALARM does anyone know anything good or bad about this alarm? Anyone know how to install this model (APS-997A)...im pretty good when it comes to electronics, but i don't think i want to tackle something this big without someone that really knows about electronics.

How long does something like this take?

Thanks,
KBrown

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
I've got the APS-996A installed in my GTP, it's been fine, while i've had the car. P.O. claimed that the brain was going bad and draining the battery, so he had unhooked it, but the glovebox light switch was broke, causing it not to turn off, and when he removed his gauge pod, he didnt insulate the wires well, and i have a feeling that there was a short/drain there. ... but after fixing that stuff, i plugged it in, and it's been fine ever since.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Jan 19 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (superchargedgp @ Jan 19 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its a piece of shit, save your money and buy ANY DEI product[/b]

Really? Why do you say so? Experience or word of mouth?
[/b][/quote]

He installs shit like that on a daily basis.

I agree. Get a DEI product. I got the Hornet and love it. 400 and some change installed at Redline in Schamburg.

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SweetGTP01 @ Jan 22 2008, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have the AUDIOVOX PRESTIGE CAR ALARM on my car and have not had one problem with it. I can start the car far away with no problems. I have done one and it said it would take about 8 hrs and it did take 8 hrs. I will never do it again, to much work.[/b]

How about going through small walls? I work in an older building and my office is close to the exterior wall to the parking lot. Would it start through something like that or is a clear line of sight needed?

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fish @ Jan 22 2008, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Jan 19 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (superchargedgp @ Jan 19 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its a piece of shit, save your money and buy ANY DEI product[/b]

Really? Why do you say so? Experience or word of mouth?
[/b][/quote]

He installs shit like that on a daily basis.

I agree. Get a DEI product. I got the Hornet and love it. 400 and some change installed at Redline in Schamburg.
[/b][/quote]

I went on there site and was looking at the new viper system...only problem with that im thinking is going to be the sticker shock......

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Jan 22 2008, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SweetGTP01 @ Jan 22 2008, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the AUDIOVOX PRESTIGE CAR ALARM on my car and have not had one problem with it. I can start the car far away with no problems. I have done one and it said it would take about 8 hrs and it did take 8 hrs. I will never do it again, to much work.[/b]

How about going through small walls? I work in an older building and my office is close to the exterior wall to the parking lot. Would it start through something like that or is a clear line of sight needed?
[/b][/quote]

my prestige works from the 4th floor of my office building, down to my car out a ways in the parking lot.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
I have a gripe about my dei, the mother fucker just stopped working, out of no where. It is three years old though, so that could mean something. And before somebody say's it, I didn't change the batteries in both remotes. I am wondering if there is a reset somewhere. I hope that helps.

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blownbyyou @ Jan 23 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a gripe about my dei, the mother fucker just stopped working, out of no where. It is three years old though, so that could mean something. And before somebody say's it, I didn't change the batteries in both remotes. I am wondering if there is a reset somewhere. I hope that helps.[/b]

Ha ha, thanks man...thats shitty. Hope you get that figured out.

Tosty, thats pretty bad ass. Thats pretty much what im looking for. The guy that i saw that had it on his car also had some sort of motion sensor on the car? Something like if you walked within 3 ft infront of the car (or you can set it) it just gave a little beep to say get the fuck away from me. I thought it was pretty cool to have but i would think that would probably get annoying.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Jan 25 2008, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Tosty, thats pretty bad ass. Thats pretty much what im looking for.[/b]

granted, my office is on the outside edge of the building, facing the parking lot, but as long as i have a pretty close line of site to the windows, it works.

....and with the 3" complete exhaust and dual magnaflow's, i can hear it start&run while i'm at my desk

lol

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toasty @ Jan 25 2008, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Jan 25 2008, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

granted, my office is on the outside edge of the building, facing the parking lot, but as long as i have a pretty close line of site to the windows, it works.

....and with the 3" complete exhaust and dual magnaflow's, i can hear it start&run while i'm at my desk

lol
[/b][/quote]

:lolsign:

Still thats pretty sweet! Im only on the second floor so im thinking it would probably work. Idk, ive liked everything ive see with that system and the price is pretty right. Im just concerned with the install. 8 hours wouldn't be a huge deal but what type of electronic knowledge would you recommend?... I really would rather prefer doing it myself over having someone do it for me or having a "helper".... Instructions pretty clear?

Fish, what does that system run that your talking about if i were to just by the system outright? may it be the profesh install would be nice im guessing its about half that $400 cost your talking about.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Jan 25 2008, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toasty @ Jan 25 2008, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Jan 25 2008, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol
[/b][/quote]

:lolsign:

Still thats pretty sweet! Im only on the second floor so im thinking it would probably work. Idk, ive liked everything ive see with that system and the price is pretty right. Im just concerned with the install. 8 hours wouldn't be a huge deal but what type of electronic knowledge would you recommend?... I really would rather prefer doing it myself over having someone do it for me or having a "helper".... Instructions pretty clear?

Fish, what does that system run that your talking about if i were to just by the system outright? may it be the profesh install would be nice im guessing its about half that $400 cost your talking about.
[/b][/quote]

if you look on the audiovox/prestige website, you should be able to download the installation manual, and you can walk through that and see if you can handle it. i know i wouldnt tackle installation on it, it was there when i bought the car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info