3800 Merry fucking X-mas

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
So pulling out of work my transmission exploded. No, I'm not kidding. I heard it explode when I was backing out of my spot. No warning. Just boom, grind. Does nothing but make God awful grinding noises in any gear but Park. In Park I can push the car. So I have $500 and need a new trans. Fuck that. A new car. I can get a DSM cheaper than a tranny. I owe 8 grand on the GTP still. And it's going to spend the next 6 months in my driveway while I save for a trans. I hate this car. Period.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
You know that's the thing. I've owned several DSM's. EVERY one of them was more reliable than this thing has been. In fact his is the first car I've ever owned that WASN'T a DSM. It's the least reliable car I've ever had by far. Kinda funny that 3 blew up within a week LOL. I can rip apart a 4G63 with my eyes closed. Hell I can close my eyes and tell you where practically every nut and bolt on the thing is. I can't ever get my GTP to run right. Still lean, still over 7* KR in a year of trying to get it fixed. And now it's stuck in the parking lot of Meijer. With what I've spent on this car in the last year I could have had a Talon running low 13's. I know this because I've done it before. Shit, figure in the tranny price and we're talking 12's from a DSM.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SINr247 @ Dec 24 2007, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
you bought a lemon......it happens to every make and model once in a while
ive owned a few now and never had as many problems at your mod level.....nor has 80% of this club

call ed morad and get a 4t65 non-HD and swap your axle, dif and dif cover over
you cna get one for about 500 or so and have a 90 warranty

merry x-mas back to you tho.[/b]

I did have this thought actually. Honestly though I'm done trying to mod this car. Been trying for a year. Over a grand in and it's still on the stock pulley and hardly any faster. If at all. I'm thinking of just getting a used HD trans. drop it in and be done. Get me something else to make fast. It'll be faster and cheaper to build.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thebullfrog @ Dec 24 2007, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SINr247 @ Dec 24 2007, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you bought a lemon......it happens to every make and model once in a while
ive owned a few now and never had as many problems at your mod level.....nor has 80% of this club

call ed morad and get a 4t65 non-HD and swap your axle, dif and dif cover over
you cna get one for about 500 or so and have a 90 warranty

merry x-mas back to you tho.[/b]

I did have this thought actually. Honestly though I'm done trying to mod this car. Been trying for a year. Over a grand in and it's still on the stock pulley and hardly any faster. If at all. I'm thinking of just getting a used HD trans. drop it in and be done. Get me something else to make fast. It'll be faster and cheaper to build.
[/b][/quote]
i would get a non-hd tranny over a stock HD one. most people like getting the free 3.29 gearing upgrade and its a slightly stronger chain. once you put the axle and dif in you are ahead of the game and the "GT" tranny is less expensive.

i still feel your car has a few simple things you have not looked into to fixing that would get rid of all of your issues.
how many miles are on it again?

o and after owning a DSM......i had to laugh at it being more reliable as well. compare 10-20% of GPs that have major issues to the 50-70% of DSMs that fail regularly
most speed shops that work on DSMs alone laugh at guys that use them as a DD(i know a few)
they make possibly great track cars......not somthing to count on daily.
good luck

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
I know but I'm telling you mine were more reliable. And I think my fueling issues may be my injectors. Was gonna check that out in spring.
As for the trans I do see your point. Thing is, I would need somebody to do the swap. I don't know how cuz Ive never touched a trans, dont have the tools and don't have the facilities. My axle is less than a week old LOL so I've got that. Not sure I'd wanna reuse my diff since who knows how much shrapnel bombarded it (you should hear the noise it makes OMG LOL). And I'd need somebody to re-tune my PCM for the gearing. And wouldn't I also need a different flexplate? I would love the gearing believe me, but it's more hassle than I think I really want to deal with right now.

Oh and it's about 95k on the clock BTW.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thebullfrog @ Dec 24 2007, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know but I'm telling you mine were more reliable. And I think my fueling issues may be my injectors. Was gonna check that out in spring.
As for the trans I do see your point. Thing is, I would need somebody to do the swap. I don't know how cuz Ive never touched a trans, dont have the tools and don't have the facilities. My axle is less than a week old LOL so I've got that. Not sure I'd wanna reuse my diff since who knows how much shrapnel bombarded it (you should hear the noise it makes OMG LOL). And I'd need somebody to re-tune my PCM for the gearing. And wouldn't I also need a different flexplate? I would love the gearing believe me, but it's more hassle than I think I really want to deal with right now.

Oh and it's about 95k on the clock BTW.[/b]

well i know it's cold out but how much time have you spent diagnosing/looking at the car?

you state: <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
No warning. Just boom, grind. Does nothing but make God awful grinding noises in any gear but Park. In Park I can push the car...................My axle is less than a week old LOL so I've got that[/b]

there's a few possibilities here...one is most likely vs the others....
you can move the car in the park position....this means that somewhere in between the parking pawl and tires is gone...no longer functions as intended -fubar
the parking pawl directly engauges the diff case, since there arent many failures of parking pawls NOT involving shifting into park while still moving/rolling (repeatedly skipping pawl teeth )(i had the oportunity to shift a junk flop hood lesabre into P at 45mph...that was fun, you shoulda seen how rounded off the diff lugs weree lol) we'll assume that in park, your diff is locked...
this means that A: one of your axles is fubar'd at the tripod plung joint (inner cv) or the outter high angle CV joint and spinning inside the tulips, or B: your spider gears/diff pin are having a cigarette in your trans pan.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Axles are brand new. And they were the first thing I looked at. Because that's what it seemed like to me. It was too dark to see anything however. (Parking lot lights were off, long story. Lets just say that when a company spends 1.5 million on remodeling a store and half the light switches are hooked up to the wrong lights- it's funny) The amount of noise it makes when the car is in gear is amazing. Really god awful grinding. I suppose my first instinct of the axles may be right. When I was leaning down to look at the axles I leaned on the car and it moved like 2 feet in park. At the time I thought it couldn't be the axle. At least one of them would be working and it move a little and not move in park. I'm a retard. That wouldn't happen. That axle would just spin just like when your on ice...... OMG it's an axle isn't it lol. Thats what happens when you get pissed and dont think clearly....

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
shit i need more eggnog :lolsign:
you need to have a friend operate the car while you look but you should be able to narrow down the cause. if you have them turn the wheel to one lock and quickly shift from park to Rev to neutral while your looking at the axle shaft and inner CV tulip, same for other side
you could leave it in Reverse but the idea is to minimize damage lol
if you cant see either inner CV turning...either the CV splined shaft poped out and is getting chewed round, or, the damage is likely in the Differential and as i said before the spider gears and diff pin have had a wild time and are now resting in the pan.

/\that took effert that time

lol you respondeded twice in the time it took me to do that/\

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thebullfrog @ Dec 25 2007, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
supposed to be my DD so I could play with something else. Never works out that way does it?[/b]
lol it sure does seem that way huh!?
the 442 was a DD till year 1.5 lol the al got the 93 GP (drivetrainless now) the 89 cutlass ciera (plates now expiring), and the new bugger a 100$ 96 chevy lumina...........APV (minivan :ph34r: ) we just finished the LIM gasket and a buncha other work...it's the new Jyard whore (we can fit 6 engines! woot! heheh)

the joy is in the journey.... ;)

red gtx

Regular
Jul 3, 2007
Elgin
Sucks to hear about the trans, especially right before Christmas!

If it's any consolation for you: I have been modding my car now for the last 2 years. Have spent more than $12K in motor and trans alone. I have gone threw one motor and one trans, thats just the way it goes sometimes when you mod a car.

Hope everything works out for you and Merry Christmas!

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
So I got it towed. $75. Not bad. My mech is gonna cover the rest of the repair. I guess the manufacturer wants the axle back to inspect it for "abuse". Whatever that means. Yeah, like I threw on some slicks and hit the track 10 - 15 times in the last 2 weeks since it was put on. Whatever. That's the same thing my mechanic said too, "Whatever". So hopefully I'll have it back tonight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info