3800 Home theatre gurus please step in...

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
I've been working on my home theatre set-up and I want to make sure that I will have everything together so it can be pretty much "plug 'n' play." For some reason, I usually forget some minute detail that prohibits me from playing with my new toys right away. One thing I want to do is upgrade my wiring from what is given to me. I am no wire expert either, so this is where I would like some help.

Here is the set-up I am more-than-likely going to purchase:

-TV: Samsung 61" 1080P DLP TV - http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/28198.html

-Surround Sound: Onkyo 7.1 - http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/28941.html

-DVD: Samsung 1080P Upconvert - http://www.abtelectronics.com/photos/29110.html

(I'm waiting to see who wins between HD and Blu-ray before I buy one...)

Now I want to make sure I have all the wiring I need:

I will be purchasing all of my wiring from http://www.monoprice.com

-I already own Composite cables for my Wii
-6FT HDMI Cable for connection between by TV and DVD
-Upgraded Surround Sound speaker wire --> not sure what to get (I've heard 12 or 16g wiring) or length either

Is there anything else I am forgetting here? I'm pretty set on everything too as I have been doing some research for quite-a-while.

TIA!

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
I wouldn't worry about up-grading your speaker wire. You aren't going to hear any difference with the speaker wire that is included. If you went with high end speakers it would worth while to spend a little for wiring, but with a in home theater in a box you will be fine. You will get the more benefit from correct speaker placement and tuning...not through expensive cables and wires.

Overall looks to be a nice little system. Good luck & enjoy it.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
And even yet another opinion, perhaps buy an even smaller TV and opt for a projector as your theater display. I have a 32" TV with a home theater in a box (which sounds good) and a 200 inch HD projector above that for when I'm feeling frisky.

FWIW, women love watching movies on the projector.

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
And even yet another opinion, perhaps buy an even smaller TV and opt for a projector as your theater display. I have a 32" TV with a home theater in a box (which sounds good) and a 200 inch HD projector above that for when I'm feeling frisky.

FWIW, women love watching movies on the projector.
[/b]

Yeah, but that means you actually have to know women and actually get them to like you enough to be willing to come over to your house without clubbing them over the head.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
10 years ago I had this awesome system in my bedroom at home. We moved into the house and the basement was unfinished so we built my room to spec with insulated walls and ceiling. I had a motorized Da-Lite Screen that came from the ceiling, a rack of components, including a Laserdisc player (which I still prefer), and a brand new Pioneer receiver with AC-3 decoding ability. Back in those days they hadn't come up with the Dolby Digital name yet so it was AC-3.

Those were the days...

mcshocks

Regular
Jun 12, 2008
MN
Looks like you will have pretty much everything you need but 1 thing, either a optical or coaxil digital cable for your DVD player to reciever audio connection. If your looking for better sound quality I tend to use coaxil digital due to recievers having better DA's (Digital to analog convertor) than the dvd players on the market have (USUALLY), using a optical cable uses the DA built into dvd player (USUALLY) and vice versa with a coaxil digital cable (recievers DA is used then). I would compare the DA's that the reciever has and that the dvd player has then decide (Use optical digital cable if the dvd has a better DA) or (Use coaxil digital cable if the reciever has a better DA). Definitely won't be anything amazing sounding but should get the job done on a budget, Alex's coment does ring true. As far as the speaker wire I wouldn't worry about it one bit with that setup.

mcshocks

Regular
Jun 12, 2008
MN
Forgot to add, DO NOT try and use the HDMI switching on the reciever, the only thing HDMI is good for right now is direct video connection. Way to many variables and versions with HDMI and with the video incription they are doing MOST recievers won't switch HDMI properly yet (very few select high end switchers/recievers will).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info