3800 tuesday the 13th...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
leads to the WhippledRiv having a broken valvespring on #4...

got the 25k L32 not long ago and now has 60k on it...yup 35k with a VS cam and never reved over 5500rpm and the OE spring broke... he was idling for 10 minutes outside a sales call when it happened... gotta pull the rear cover off to see the extent of the damage but it appears he was luccky and the coils had just started screwing together, hopefully it's the only one...oh and since the SC idler pulley disintegrated (the one on the standoff...a bastard with the G/H body mount) so for the last week it's been NA. it seems he goes NA before every big change...wierd... :lolsign: this will be the first winter the riv's been off the road... eric bought a 700$ 96 cavi to beat on

eric has a stack of parts in his room taller than he is....

for those interested in the parts list waiting to go on this winter...

IS3 heads

arp hardware

IS3 cam (selling for IS4 or if i can convince him, a custom solid roller profile i have in mind)

dbl roller chain

ATI dampner and 8 rib pulleys

150lb hr injectors

AEM inj driver

Weldon 2035 fuel pump (yes, the biggest fucker they make... ;) )

90mm FAST TB and partially finished adaptor plate

a few new whipple pulleys

intense mps for the new mech IC pump, snout support.belt wrap assembly

along with a few other odds and ends

the block will be torn apart and recieving alot of TLC and a good bit of much needed work to the oiling system...whipple will be getting ported (i saw some room for improvement when we had it apart) and a 4t80e/aurora parts will be going in...and the port floors of the heads will be getting tapped for direct port foggers.

now all i can hope for is that eric doesnt find that 200ax he's been looking for....

beware the whippled Riv :ph34r:

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
150lb hr injectors[/b]

Am I reading that right?

This caris going to be a beast.
[/b]
dont be amazed by the injector size. that is not really over kill for that setup................

but that FUCKING FUEL PUMP is. we can run the dragwhore, the 442 and the riv all at the same time off that thing. the fuel line size and injectors will become a way bigger restriction then that pump ever will.

the RIV will be the fastest Lux-o-barge ever made. time for us to fab some wheelie bars for him.
going to be a long winter :)

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
dont be amazed by the injector size. that is not really over kill for that setup................

but that FUCKING FUEL PUMP is. we can run the dragwhore, the 442 and the riv all at the same time off that thing. the fuel line size and injectors will become a way bigger restriction then that pump ever will.

the RIV will be the fastest Lux-o-barge ever made. time for us to fab some wheelie bars for him.
going to be a long winter :) [/b]

the 150lbhr injectors will let us play with E85 and more importantly that pump will help me convince eric that he needs two stages of direct port nitrous....

he's going head to head with alex from 3800pro (97rivman), no wheelie bars but he does know that once he gets booted from the track it's time for a cage...as long as he can keep the heated seats ;)

he got the 96 cavi plated/insured today...he was talking about shoving the whippled drivetrain into the rear of the cav...Ha! (plus he loves the Riv too much, he misses it already lol)

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yes! eric's going for the direct port setup! i figure a 150hp shot would be nice...not to mention the chemical intercooling...

the engine's ready to be yanked but we ran out of time...looks like there was an occlusion in the 05's spring... certainly appears that we lucked out and he shut it down early enough....

soon ya'll will get to see the obligatory "standing in the engine bay" pic :lolsign:

then the longblock's comming over here to be attacked/raped/pillaged :eek:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well this is certainly foreboding....it looks as though erics engine will be the 13th 3800 in my garage...so for now he's holding off removing it :lolsign:
he was the dumbass that asked the question that had us figure out how many...then again if the valve never touched the piston...13 could be his lucky number...right? :blink:
edit; shit i just realised that i posted on the 13th! that means we almost pulled the engine on the 13th arg! this is creeping me out man...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well we got the engine out and pulled the heads....lucky as fuck...looks like the only damage is to the carbon coating the #4 piston after the carbon is cleaned off i boubt you can even see it...the valve looks fine as well....lapped it in and still has full contact so its not bent...i think the valve may only have hit while we were yanking the flexplate bolts...fuckin lucky lol

valve spring had an occlusion...i can see where the crack started and where the edged wore together till the spring finally broke completly. the occlusion is on the outter surface of the spring coil...what PAC springs proprietary metalurgy/wire forming is specificallyt designed to prevent...so now i deffinatly believe chris osborn at PAC springs said about GM sourcing their springs from a mexico supplier in late02/03...tommygloves 2 failures would tend to bollster this, but i dont have any way to inspect the springs he broke...

oem05L32valvespringfailure60k35k-1.jpg

in this pic of the broken end the occlusion is at the 4 o clock position
oem05L32valvespringfailure60k35konV.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
got the other pics uploaded
lightly touched #4
lightlytouched4piston.jpg

rear head, lapped the valve and it's still straight and true! the contact must have only occured when we removed the flexplate bolts...
rearheadwith4chambershowingnocombus.jpg

the obligatory standing in the engine bay pic (what a lucky bastard)
EricintheRivenginecompartment.jpg

he still hasent decided whether he's gonna scatter the 65ehd or just throw the 80e in during the build...along with new struts, ball joints etc, its got 160k lol
emptyWhippledRiv.jpg

something interesting i noted...this is a perfect visual of fuel washdown where the intake valve is shrouded, some of you have had your heads off and have probably seen the two "mickey mouse" ears in the head gasket fire ring, well look at the 2 oclock position and you can see exactly where the fuel has been washing the carbon off the top of the bore on the head gasket surface...by relieving this area of the block the valve becomes less shrouded and greatly improving mid lift flow.
to the same degree the exhaust experiences the same issue but isnt very clear in this pic (you can make it out at fullsize) this is the front bank
frontbank.jpg

the rear bank is the same
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii10/JA...ched4piston.jpg

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
ouch .... I had nearly the same thing happen to my TA a couple years ago.... also got fortuanate no damage (it was a dual spring though so inner spring saved it)

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4265.jpg

Though in my case it was over .600" of lift and the motor was accidentally spun to 7600 RPM due to the transmission going out while at WOT and stupid me had the rev limiter totally turned off while I was testing a few things lol

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TommyGloves @ Dec 26 2007, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
tommygloves 2 failures would tend to bollster this, but i dont have any way to inspect the springs he broke...[/b]

I think I tossed them out when I cleaned out the garage. I wish I would have kept them. :(
[/b][/quote]

yeah i remember wanting to ask you if i could look at them at the time, but i figured that you would nail em to the garage wall as a warning to the other valve springs :lolsign:
i am really curious as to where the occlusions are that led to your failures...

horist, you say dual springs but all i see is the outter spring and the dampner you reused the inner springs? what spring company? i've seen Kmotion springs with that coloring...

i hear ya on the little mistakes that become big ones...left the reverse lockout on the hurst ratchet shifter in the nova...shifitng into reverse at 108mph is a bit hairy... th400 i built had no problem but it sure as hell flatspotted a pair of 250$ used slicks along with the love tapp on the drivers rear bumper lol (...they did remember the car almost 2 years later "ya'll tapped the wall past the traps awhile back didnt ya?" me: "yup" him into the radio: "yeah its the same car!" him to me:"ya'll were the first ones to put a beuty mark on the new paint"
i hope he's still running the line next time i go up there...good guy

i need to go to the track...baaaddd

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well props to ya for replacing them all instead of just the one...ya never know how stressed they were...

the last two days eric and I have been machining lots of aluminum for the old whipple LS1 adaptor (with LS1 pad machined off) so the 90mm FAST can be bolted on.
5/8ths inch plate on the orig TB adaptor that goes to a 1" piece machined at and angle/offset to direct the air from the TB directly at the higher air volume 5 lobe rotor (the front rotor aka inline with the pully, a nice side benifit this will also give a straighter filter inlet)

then we'll have plenty of room for the two TB foggers for the 1st stage, although for a more progressive hit we've rethought this and may do a 3 stage (even more solenoids lol) so he can play with some chem intercooling on the street without triggering the big shot direct port foggers...
B)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info