3800 Trans Flush or not?

evastos

Regular
Sep 1, 2008
Chicago
Hey guys so my Trans has been acting up for the last year or so. Every time I hit second gear it gives a hard jerk. Changed the trans oil and filter without doing a flush and still does the same thing. My mechanic recommends me to do do a power flush on the Trans and then take it from there, he thinks it might be something simple he might be able to fix. But every article I've ever read says not to do it. What do you guys think?

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Hey guys so my Trans has been acting up for the last year or so. Every time I hit second gear it gives a hard jerk. Changed the trans oil and filter without doing a flush and still does the same thing. My mechanic recommends me to do do a power flush on the Trans and then take it from there, he thinks it might be something simple he might be able to fix. But every article I've ever read says not to do it. What do you guys think?
[/b]

having the proper type of flush done (one that uses the transmission's own pump) typically is never a bad idea, unless the trans has severe high mileage, and/or is exhibiting problematic symptoms beyond some slipping, somewhat harsher shifts than normal. (how is the fluid?) I would never reccomend any type of 'power flush' that uses an external pump source-- those use higher pressure than what the trans pump normally would, and can cause more damage. That being said, it's unlikely that a full flush would fix the harsh 2 shift that you are seeing.

i'd take it to a good trans shop and let them scan on it and see what is really going on.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
one of the better systems in use is the t-tech trans exchange system. you can ask shops around you what kind of flush/exhange they do.

the important part is to find out weather or not the system they use will use the vehicle's transmission pump (car would be on) or if they use an external pump.... external pump is the bad part.

---

a note on antifreeze, in response to the rogue post about antifreeze :)

as for switching away from dexcool? no good reason to, at least not with the latest dexcool. early on in it's life (back in 95/96) there were some issues, but those have been corrected. the majority of the problems with it stem from someone or someplace putting the wrong kind of antifreeze in to top off the system, or using harsh tap water to mix. if you follow the instructions to use distilled water (or use the pre-mixed) and also follow the schedule for coolant replacement/flush, that should be plenty to keep your dexcool happy.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
At my NTB (IDK about others, but I imagine they are the same..) we use a Trans flush machine that uses your vehicles own pump. Usual price is 110, there are always coupons or something for some money off.

Personally I flushed out my Dexcool due to sludging problems I was getting in both my vehicles. My Regal, with new engine and fresh coolant, after about 50k was starting to sludge up. My Comp G, after 63k miles was showing sludge in the radiator cap and in the thermostat housing. The Regal never had water or coolant added to it, I can account for that. But the Comp G I cant say much on.

http://www.zillamotorsports.com/DEX/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• E
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list