3800 Tune up tommorow

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
Welp i am finally going to do the much needed tune up tomorrow. I am going with the NGK TR6's for plugs. What is the prefered gap? Also the car only has about 48k on it do you think it is necessary to change my wires? They are still stockers and look good from what i can see. I am also thinking of doing a coolant flush since its been 4 years since i bought the car and the coolant looks low. How many gallons of the $15 shit do i need. I saw the other day it was like 15 bucks for Dexcool, wtf did a glycol plant blow up or something b/c the last i bought antifreeze it was 8 bucks. Chime in as needed, thanks in advance!

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Welp i am finally going to do the much needed tune up tomorrow. I am going with the NGK TR6's for plugs. What is the prefered gap? Also the car only has about 48k on it do you think it is necessary to change my wires? They are still stockers and look good from what i can see. I am also thinking of doing a coolant flush since its been 4 years since i bought the car and the coolant looks low. How many gallons of the $15 shit do i need. I saw the other day it was like 15 bucks for Dexcool, wtf did a glycol plant blow up or something b/c the last i bought antifreeze it was 8 bucks. Chime in as needed, thanks in advance!
[/b]

coolant, i think should be 18qts 50/50 i believe.

dexcool has always been higher than most out there, but the rising oil prices have hit it hard too... remember its petroleum based.

can probably get away with leaving the stock wires, but they will likely need changed before the new plugs do... besides, you never know, you might damage a wire while repacing the plugs, so its good to replace them at the same time.

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
most conventional mod wisdom says use standard copper plugs and change them more often.

here's a link to one author's lengthy explaination.

Plug choosing
[/b]

I read this already though, its a good link....thanks....I am just askin from personal experience, i know the NGK's got the screw on caps yeah yeah loc tight, but shit im sorry if i dont post a lot that thats the reason no one wants to reply but i wouldnt post if i didnt need help....the more and more i visit this site its like a tight little clique.....reminds me of high school and all the mutha fucks that wouldnt give a time of day to someone thats isnt regular.....if u got a prob with what i just said, you can eat he peanuts outta my shit.....Toasty this isnt aint at you BTW......

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotemain'>
most conventional mod wisdom says use standard copper plugs and change them more often.

here's a link to one author's lengthy explaination.

Plug choosing
[/b]

I read this already though, its a good link....thanks....I am just askin from personal experience, i know the NGK's got the screw on caps yeah yeah loc tight, but shit im sorry if i dont post a lot that thats the reason no one wants to reply but i wouldnt post if i didnt need help....the more and more i visit this site its like a tight little clique.....reminds me of high school and all the mutha fucks that wouldnt give a time of day to someone thats isnt regular.....if u got a prob with what i just said, you can eat he peanuts outta my shit.....Toasty this isnt aint at you BTW......
[/b][/quote]

:blink:

i can understand your frustration at the lack of response, but there just arent as many people on the board here as there used to be-- there are still good people on here, but you also have to remember that it's friday, and the majority of peeps are gonna be out and about doing stuff on a friday nite, not reading this board . the national board has LOTS of people, and i'd be more surprised if you didnt get a response over there. --- though i wouldnt expect too warm of a response here from your post.

my GTP has a basic DHP, 3" exhaust, 1.9 rockers w/ 90 lb springs, open element cone filter, (p/o installed) but stock pulley... it's my dd. i like the go-fast, but it is fast enough as it is, and i have the AC delco iridiums in the car. they perform well, i think. if i were going to change back to a 3.4, i would go a step colder, and likely go with a copper plug, though might go with the NGK V Poer plug. Have i run a copper plug? nope. not in this car. Do i understand the logic? yep. I just am not pushing this car anywhere near it's limits, so i dont need the copper plugs. If you do go back to the 3.4, you should seriously consider the copper.

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
Its a good thing you told me to buy wires, b/c i busted 3 of them b/c they are so hard to get off the plugs.....Changin the plugs was the easiest part....i found that if you move the coolant recovery tank outta the way you can get to the far left plug in the back much easier.....

I did run into something strange though, when i pulled the number 4 cylinder plug it reaked of pure gas.....none of the others did so it kind of got me worried a little bit...Any thoughts?

And sorry about my frustrations with my earlier comments, i have just not had much luck with this car in terms of getting it to run right and i cant seem to find a simple solution....so sorry if i pushed anyones buttons...

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
what was the condition of the plug from the #4 cylinder? if you smelled gas on that one, and not the others, that's a sign to look at a few things ... 1 plug (you fixed this issue) 2 wire (fixed this issue as well) 3 coil pack (you can swap two of the coil packs and see if the unburnt fuel smell follows to the coil's new cylinder. If the #4 cylinder continues to be the problem, and it doesnt move with the coil, then you have at least two other possibilities-- something could be wrong with the injector, allowing too much fuel in the cylinder. -- or the ignition control module (what the coils attach to) could be going bad.

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
what was the condition of the plug from the #4 cylinder? if you smelled gas on that one, and not the others, that's a sign to look at a few things ... 1 plug (you fixed this issue) 2 wire (fixed this issue as well) 3 coil pack (you can swap two of the coil packs and see if the unburnt fuel smell follows to the coil's new cylinder. If the #4 cylinder continues to be the problem, and it doesnt move with the coil, then you have at least two other possibilities-- something could be wrong with the injector, allowing too much fuel in the cylinder. -- or the ignition control module (what the coils attach to) could be going bad.
[/b]

Well i just took her for a spin and she seems to be running much smoother than before. I will definately keep what you mentioned in mind. Thanks for all the help, now all i got left to do is get rid of my check engine light (rear 02 sensor). I am gonna buy the simulator but i am going to have to modify the connector as they are different on the 04+. I think im making headway on this project!

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Well i just took her for a spin and she seems to be running much smoother than before. I will definately keep what you mentioned in mind. Thanks for all the help, now all i got left to do is get rid of my check engine light (rear 02 sensor). I am gonna buy the simulator but i am going to have to modify the connector as they are different on the 04+. I think im making headway on this project!
[/b][/quote]

then it sounds like your problem was either a bad plug, or a bad wire (likely the wire)

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
There is a "fix" for the rear O2 light, and you only have to spend ~$5. Ive been running it on my car for a few days now and no SES light!

Essentially, you buy 18mm (not 14mm) spark plug anti foulers (2 come to a pack, all you need is 1 pack), drill ONE of them out with a 1/2" drill bit, screw the undrilled one into the O2 bung, then the drilled one next, and lastly screw the O2 sensor in (as well as plug it in). Then, reset your light and you're all set.

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
There is a "fix" for the rear O2 light, and you only have to spend ~$5. Ive been running it on my car for a few days now and no SES light!

Essentially, you buy 18mm (not 14mm) spark plug anti foulers (2 come to a pack, all you need is 1 pack), drill ONE of them out with a 1/2" drill bit, screw the undrilled one into the O2 bung, then the drilled one next, and lastly screw the O2 sensor in (as well as plug it in). Then, reset your light and you're all set.
[/b]

I am pretty confused by what u said.....i partly understamd but do u have any pics of what ur talkin about....im not that mechanically inclined!!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• C
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list