3800 Urgent Help Needed

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
Ok, so here's the deal. I had a blown fuel pump resistor, and so I hotwired it to be able to drive to classes today. I got about halfway before my car started to develop a weird whine to it and started to stall a little bit. I gave it some gas (alot) and the car cut out at about 3500 rpm. I babied it back home and parked it. replaced the fuel pump resistor around 5 and started the car. It ran, and I thought I was ok.

I depress the throttle a bit, the car stumbles and then the gas hits the engine, and it runs. Basically, the car really really lags with gas, which I'm guessing is due to me frying the fuel pump with the hotwire.

Is there any surefire way to target this as a fuel pump issue?

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
It's been on for awhile. I just sold fish my powertuner, or I'd be able to check it. It had been on for no 02 sensor...

My low coolant light would turn on and then off when it was colder out

I'm on the edge of just scrapping my car, ripping out my stereo, and everything valuable, selling everything and trying to buy a new car. I just really want something to get me through the winter

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
Ok. So hypothetically I throw no codes. What am I looking at?

I've been reading a lot on 98s having these problems - I've already replaced the fuel pump resistor twice in 25k miles....

Solutions are ranging from fuseboxes, theft deterrent modules, fuel injectors and modules....

Anyway, I woke up this morning and went to start the car, which idles, then died. I'm gonna try to get it to autozone, but no promises, which is why I'm thinking I might be screwed in to taking it to a dealer.

Anyone got a powertuner in Champaign-Urbana??

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
And that's the weird thing. Mine doesnt either, but I can get the car to run if I keep my foot in the gas, however the minute i let off it sputters and dies. I'm gonna try to D - N - D it all the way to a local shop (keeping rpms up) and have them look at it. Last thing I wanted to do, but i dont have the time or the resources to do this myself.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• G
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list