3800 Caveman whoreage....

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i've had this 90k btu furnace sitting on this shelf for over 2 winters...bout time i get some fucking heat :lolsign:

Cave upgrade pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gaslines-serviceaccess.jpg

plumbed the gasline over the garage door and up to the roofpeak with a 2nd valve

used 4 10ft lengths with one cut for 2 custom length pieces

and YES there will be insulation going in! above and behind the furnace i'm thinking aluminized 2 inch foam, everywhere else in the ceiling will be 6inch bats of fiberglass

2ndvalveandflexibleline.jpg

btw yes thats a strip of an old liscense plate holding the pipe...thanks to my new 12inch throat plate shear (shears 3/16ths!!!!)

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x284/tu...12inchshear.jpg

here's the airplenum it'll have two 6inch ducts one blowing down at 45* and the other across the roofpeak to the otherside with two downward blowing vents (i'm a redneck so a 70's 36inch GE fan will sit in the rafters helping blow thewarm air down) it's made to clear the roof joists and the 4inch dbl wall flue pipe

customfurnacehotairplenum.jpg

the filter/suction opening, dont mind the 12v peltier cooler (dad got an actual fridge/freezer for his truck, so this is for mine!) it was in the way of Al doing all the jungle gym climbing HUGE! thanks to Al! handy bastard to get to do the dirty work (i built the shelves to hold my 350lb ass, but uh they arent empty lol)

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x284/tu...ngforfilter.jpg

gasline routing

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x284/tu...rtoroofpeak.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x284/tu...thegasmeter.jpg

i'll be removing the union and L from the fireplace tap and replacing it with a T and a primary ball valve

valveandunionTtometerfireplaceL.jpg

now i have to find a place for the programable T stat! yeah i know i need to cleanup....yeah you heard me, programable...i want it to turn on an hour before i go out to the garage...72* in january!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOT!

can you find the new toys bob? heheheh
heatistheleastoftheproblemlol.jpg

ok off to work!!!!! yay <_<

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
sweet!

a heated garage should be a requirement these days...

...but is that standard density white PTFE (Teflon) tape or double density yellow? :blink:

you'll probably be ok if you wrapped it well, with standard white. otherwise, you really should have the double density yellow type. (i'll assume you checked for leaks anyway.....)

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Toasty yes thats yellow tape x2 fer heated garages

i totally forgot about the two slutty pics lol what can i say i'm a dirty old man :D

sure thing bob let me make sure the door's locked, you can work outside i'll work in the garage lol

milling vise handle = blue dildo (i must say you did make me laugh)

Do you have ice guard on your roof?

I know of a few people who started to have ice damming problems when they converted their garage to heat without the proper ice guard and venting on the roof.

Just be careful not to keep it to hot in there! [/b]

i didnt think of that as i'm planning on slowly filling the ceiling with fiberglass insulation it wont be T shirt weather but it sure wont be cold as helll!

sure sam i'll take payment in rolls of insulation lol

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
you lucky bastard! i'll still end up using cardboard but yeah i can work in a vest or a crap sweater...but my full insulated dickies hahaha like a fatman in a gorrilla suit playing football! :lolsign:

i wish there were indoor heated junkyards
[/b]

That's a mental image I won't soon forget...

Werd on the indoor heated junkyards. I've spent more time than I'd like to recall upside-down with my head under a dash in a front seat that's completely soaked from rain and smells from the small furry animals that like to use it for a bed.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
got some more pics...doing insulation with sheetmetal fire barrier (a bit overkill, but you should know thats how i roll), before i cut the hole for the flue (like i wont start it up without the flue lol)

got the programable thermostat hooked up, right above the toolbox, got the vents run, wirings done (ordered the 200amp panel for the house so i can get our 100amp aux panel into the garage! i'm gonna have a big lathe to power soon...) i had to cut the top of the shelf and move it under the 2x4's to give me 4.5 inches more room for the flue

programabletstat.jpg

the best cure for winter :lolsign:

loweredover4inchesforclearance.jpg

these will be secured to the roof peak...after i get the roof insulation up

2-6inchventsvents.jpg

6.25 inch kraft faced for the roof (doing the roof peak for now)

R19insulationforroof.jpg

been working my ass off lately (literally, i actually weigh less) cant wait for the slow season....

oh and the lathe... Leblond (may be a regal) 13 x 40 engine lathe with the elegant legs not the modern box legs figure ~1950-60's cant wait to move it's 1400lb's of sexiness into my heated garage

so uh bob...talked with ron yesterday...wanna gundrill cams for less weight? :ph34r:

well off to work, finally a day that doesnt begin at 630...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i must recommend that everyone get their own Al....like a fucking monkey he was swinging around the rafters last night and we got the whole north side of the peak insulated with a bit of the southern peak done as well...

all i gotta say is thank god my fat ass wasnt up there...i'd cave in the roof lol

today we are finishing the south side of the roof peak so we can put up the sheetmetal insulation covering around the furnace (just in case) the 12 inch metal shear is pretty handy for that stuff...

i finally figured out my problem with the fan not running on the furnace...somehow we knocked the safety switch wire off...always the last thing you look at :rolleyes:

then it promptly blew the air plenum off since i havent screwed it on yet...scared the living shit outta me

we gotta check the hard to get to part of the gasline for leaks and do the flue yet but it runs!

in the course of getting room to install the insulation (again it's handy to have a small monkey/Al :lolsign: ) we are cleaning up the junk and throwing a buncha shit out...i need more room for parts etc with the huge lathe we gotta put in there...

the fun never ends...but i'll have HEAT!!!!!!!!!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
TODAYS WEATHER>>> WOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!

god it's nice...chillin in the astro-van bench seat enjoying the heat B)

tonight it's going to 80*...just because i can!!! plus it'll tell me how well the insulations working by morning!

then i gotta set the programable thermostat to come on before i go out there tomarrow.... :p

<div class='quotemain'>
i must recommend that everyone get their own Al....

ive got one like him..........he just doesnt fit in to the tiny spaces as well, but damned if he doesnt try :lolsign: [/b][/quote]

while you watch lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info