3800 Looks Like Inner CV Leak

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
It's not oil - definitely grease. You can see how it's piling up on the subframe. It's slung all over on the right side of the engine bay. The inner CV feels fine from what I can tell and the boot isn't torn; it appears that the clamp is failing maybe. The car has less than 70K on it - is this a common failure mode for these cars? Also, does anyone happen to know the axle nut size?

Thanks all.

[attachmentid=3260]

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
It's not oil - definitely grease. You can see how it's piling up on the subframe. It's slung all over on the right side of the engine bay. The inner CV feels fine from what I can tell and the boot isn't torn; it appears that the clamp is failing maybe. The car has less than 70K on it - is this a common failure mode for these cars? Also, does anyone happen to know the axle nut size?

Thanks all.

[attachmentid=3260]
[/b]

If you caought it early enough you can just get a new boot, but Id rather replace the whole CV joint and boot all new.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
<div class='quotemain'>

Thanks all.

[attachmentid=3260]
[/b]

If you caought it early enough you can just get a new boot, but Id rather replace the whole CV joint and boot all new.
[/b][/quote]

I been there not to long ago... INFACE, Im almost sure it is happening again on the same dam side... I feel your pain...

Yeah 36 mm. Go to autozone and rent the socket.

$15.00 to rent but you get it back when you return it
[/b]

Be careful if you get a whole new halfshaft, you'll probably get a different size axle nut with the new one. Stupid I know... I forgot I put a new halfshaft in before and didnt realize there were different axle nuts when I was changing my hubs. Basically pissed me off and wasted a ton of time.... <_< FYI

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
I have a couple axle sockets already, but I think they're 30 and 32mm. Might as well just buy the 36mm and keep it for future use. The wife drives the GTP Hale, so I'm sure the car doesn't see wheelspin too often.

The good news is that I got the F-body brake swap done and the car has decent braking power now. Has awful pedal travel though - I think I'll give the GXP brake pedal swap a try and see if that helps some. Sidenote: if you're an idiot like me and acidentally purchase Camaro SS lines instead of GP lines, the Camaro lines will work on the back brakes.

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
Hes not.

Daniel, fbody brake upgrade like.. caliper upgrade?
[/b]

Yeah, calipers and rotors. I found out that part of the reason the brakes were so bad is that whomever did the last brake bleed job left air in the ABS pump. Front pads were barely worn and the back ones were completely gone.

BTW, why would spinning the tires cause the boot to leak? Is it because of the shock when the tires regain traction?

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
the stock boots are kinda hard, with little give, so the clamps can only clamp so hard. My axles have a softer boot, with stock clamps, and havnt blown one off yet. plenty of burnouts, and 1 highway run up to 140, which should of blown one off by now.
I contribute blown boots to high pressure, and not enough clamping force. Ive blown stock ones off at the track, and on the dyno.

Rich

Regular
Oct 7, 2008
I never popped mine off, but both inner boots ended up splitting. I replaced both axles over the past year (also replaced the pass hub twice). I ended up with grease slung all over the underside of my hood and packed in every spot possible on the frame/motor surrounding the boot. What a pain to clean that shit.

I beleive the axle nut that comes on the reman'd axles is 33. I found out the hard way that they were a different size as well. Lots of trips to the parts store that day.

~Rich

Edit: Grammar/typos

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info